The eLua IDE: added the (experimental) capability to manage the DFU bootloader

Nuccio Raciti Nuccio Raciti

The eLua IDE: added the (experimental) capability to manage the DFU bootloader

https://github.com/nuccioraciti/Goat-IDE

for those interested, please check the file
Goat-IDE/Goat/properties/GoatGlobal.properties

# following are some TARGET settings, useful to manage the HW
target.cpu=at32uc3a0512

if PLAT_GTK
command.name.0.*.hex=DFU Flash Erase
command.0.*.hex=$(Bindir)/dfu-programmer-0-5-4 $(TargetCPU) erase --debug 40
command.name.1.*.hex=DFU Flash Write
command.1.*.hex=$(Bindir)/dfu-programmer-0-5-4 $(TargetCPU) flash
--debug 40 $(FileNameExt)
command.name.2.*.hex=DFU CPU Reset
command.2.*.hex=$(Bindir)/dfu-programmer-0-5-4 $(TargetCPU) reset --debug 40

Anyway for the avr32 architecture should be easy:

1- using the new menu "File->Open Flash Image" load a valid .hex file
2- under the menu "Tools" three new entries will be available useful for
erase and write the BOARD flash...

Please let me know...

Ciao,
Nuccio.

Patrick Mc(avery Patrick Mc(avery

Re: The eLua IDE: added the (experimental) capability to manage the DFU bootloader

On 12-01-07 09:35 AM, Nuccio Raciti wrote:

> https://github.com/nuccioraciti/Goat-IDE
>
> for those interested, please check the file
> Goat-IDE/Goat/properties/GoatGlobal.properties

> # following are some TARGET settings, useful to manage the HW
> target.cpu=at32uc3a0512
>

> if PLAT_GTK
> command.name.0.*.hex=DFU Flash Erase
> command.0.*.hex=$(Bindir)/dfu-programmer-0-5-4 $(TargetCPU) erase
> --debug 40
> command.name.1.*.hex=DFU Flash Write
> command.1.*.hex=$(Bindir)/dfu-programmer-0-5-4 $(TargetCPU) flash
> --debug 40 $(FileNameExt)
> command.name.2.*.hex=DFU CPU Reset
> command.2.*.hex=$(Bindir)/dfu-programmer-0-5-4 $(TargetCPU) reset
> --debug 40
>
> Anyway for the avr32 architecture should be easy:
>
> 1- using the new menu "File->Open Flash Image" load a valid .hex file
> 2- under the menu "Tools" three new entries will be available useful
> for erase and write the BOARD flash...
>

> Please let me know...
>
> Ciao,
> Nuccio.

Hi Nuccio

This is a bit advanced for me, I can't quite follow you. I looked up DFU
and it seems to stand for "Device firmware upgrade".

Is this new feature to bootstrap Lua on various targets? Is this a
frontend to GCC settings? If you have time, could you tell me a little
more about this feature? Sorry to be dumb! -Patrick
Nuccio Raciti Nuccio Raciti

Re: The eLua IDE: added the (experimental) capability to manage the DFU bootloader

Hi Patrick,

yes, some architectures (avr32 for sure  @
www.atmel.com/dyn/resources/prod_documents/*doc7618*.pdf) coming with a
boot loader thought the USB port, so using it  is quite simple to update
the firmware on the flash.

Best,
Nuccio

> This is a bit advanced for me, I can't quite follow you. I looked up
> DFU and it seems to stand for "Device firmware upgrade".
>
> Is this new feature to bootstrap Lua on various targets? Is this a
> frontend to GCC settings? If you have time, could you tell me a little
> more about this feature? Sorry to be dumb! -Patrick

Re: The eLua IDE: added the (experimental) capability to manage the DFU bootloader

STM32F4 also supports DFU out of the box as a mode that can be
triggered without any additional loaded firmware, though it requires
that DFU loaders add some ST-specific extensions (dfu-util recently
added these: http://dfu-util.gnumonks.org/)

A number of other platforms can support this USB class as well,
including LM3S/Stellaris boards, though I don't think any of them have
it enabled out of the box and one has to specifically add/setup the
bootloader:
http://www.ti.com/lit/an/spma003/spma003.pdf

I'm not sure whether any of the open source dfu tools like
dfu-programmer or dfu-util would program any other targets without
modification.

-jsnyder

On Mon, Jan 9, 2012 at 11:57 AM, Nuccio Raciti <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Patrick,
>
> yes, some architectures (avr32 for sure  @
> www.atmel.com/dyn/resources/prod_documents/*doc7618*.pdf) coming with a boot
> loader thought the USB port, so using it  is quite simple to update the
> firmware on the flash.
>
> Best,
>
> Nuccio
>
>> This is a bit advanced for me, I can't quite follow you. I looked up DFU
>> and it seems to stand for "Device firmware upgrade".
>>
>> Is this new feature to bootstrap Lua on various targets? Is this a
>> frontend to GCC settings? If you have time, could you tell me a little more
>> about this feature? Sorry to be dumb! -Patrick

Nuccio Raciti Nuccio Raciti

Re: The eLua IDE: added the (experimental) capability to manage the DFU bootloader

Hi Jsnyder,

Il 09/01/2012 19:15, James Snyder ha scritto:
> STM32F4 also supports DFU out of the box as a mode that can be
> triggered without any additional loaded firmware, though it requires
> that DFU loaders add some ST-specific extensions (dfu-util recently
> added these: http://dfu-util.gnumonks.org/)
good,

> A number of other platforms can support this USB class as well,
> including LM3S/Stellaris boards, though I don't think any of them have
> it enabled out of the box and one has to specifically add/setup the
> bootloader:
> http://www.ti.com/lit/an/spma003/spma003.pdf
Yes I know, unfortunately is impossible for me try on these boards...

> I'm not sure whether any of the open source dfu tools like
> dfu-programmer or dfu-util would program any other targets without
> modification.
It needs investigation,
thanks for your infos...

Ciao,