Terminal Program on Mac OS X

Stefan Brantschen-3 Stefan Brantschen-3

Terminal Program on Mac OS X

What terminal program are you using on Mac OS X? I now use ZTerm (!), which works both for commands and XMODEM file transfer, but it is somewhat outdated (eg., only one connection at a time). I can use 'screen' to command the board, but then I don't know how to XMODEM files in this case. I tried to find a decent current terminal program, but didn't have any luck. This is not something that's used by many people these days anymore... :-)

Thanks!

Cheers
-- Stefan

PS: eLua rocks! :-))

Re: Terminal Program on Mac OS X

Hello,

On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 19:00, Stefan Brantschen <[hidden email]> wrote:
What terminal program are you using on Mac OS X?

This is an important and recurrent topic, as well as (sadly) one of the main barriers for starters.
We've started a section on the wiki to help with it but it needs to be updated and greatly enhanced:
http://wiki.eluaproject.net/Terminal%20Emulators%20for%20eLua

I now use ZTerm (!), which works both for commands and XMODEM file transfer, but it is somewhat outdated (eg., only one connection at a time).

Not a big problem right ?

I can use 'screen' to command the board, but then I don't know how to XMODEM files in this case.

I think Marcelo does :).
Was it on screen that you figured out how to XModem the other day Marcelo ?

I tried to find a decent current terminal program, but didn't have any luck.

Welcome to the team :)

This is not something that's used by many people these days anymore... :-)

Which is really weird anyway IMHO, because along all these years Terminal Emulators haven't really evolved too much.

Thanks!

Cheers
-- Stefan

PS: eLua rocks! :-))

Thanksssss ! :) :)

On Fri, Jun 11, 2010 at 7:45 AM, Dado Sutter <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 19:00, Stefan Brantschen <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> What terminal program are you using on Mac OS X?
>
> This is an important and recurrent topic, as well as (sadly) one of the main
> barriers for starters.
> We've started a section on the wiki to help with it but it needs to be
> updated and greatly enhanced:
> http://wiki.eluaproject.net/Terminal%20Emulators%20for%20eLua
>
>> I now use ZTerm (!), which works both for commands and XMODEM file
>> transfer, but it is somewhat outdated (eg., only one connection at a time).
>
> Not a big problem right ?
>

>> I can use 'screen' to command the board, but then I don't know how to
>> XMODEM files in this case.
>
> I think Marcelo does :).
> Was it on screen that you figured out how to XModem the other day Marcelo ?

I personally just use screen, but I don't use XModem with it.  IIRC
screen has some built-in support for ZModem (which we don't support
yet, however there is a patch).

>> I tried to find a decent current terminal program, but didn't have any
>> luck.
>
> Welcome to the team :)

Yep, I've had the same experience.  Actually, what I generally use
instead is LuaRPC (one of the reasons why I picked it up and developed
it further).

I've debated hacking a better simple terminal program together in
Python, but I've generally just been using LuaRPC since by using a
local Lua instance you get to have command history, sending code back
and forth without having to use some out-of-band XModem procedure,
etc...  I suppose it depends on what one wants to use the console for,
though :-)

>> This is not something that's used by many people these days anymore... :-)
>
> Which is really weird anyway IMHO, because along all these years Terminal
> Emulators haven't really evolved too much.

This is true.  In addition, many of the more modern ones cater to
interactive shells running over pseudoterminals rather than going over
serial.  Of course, even for these the main changes are things like
supporting larger color palettes, tabs, and automatically turning urls
into hot-links.

>> Thanks!
>>
>> Cheers
>> -- Stefan
>>
>> PS: eLua rocks! :-))

Thanks! :-)

It's good to get feedback, either praise or criticism :-)

PGP: http://fanplastic.org/key.txt
Phone: (847) 448-0386
Marcelo Politzer Marcelo Politzer

Re: Terminal Program on Mac OS X

Dado,
I've got it working on minicom, not on screen.

On ubuntu the program that actualy does the xmodem transfer is 'sx', from the lrzsz.
So it is possible to use xmodem on terminals that do not have build in support by redirecting the output to the correct modem connection, enven thou it creates more probems than solutions.

I'm sticking to minicom for now, I don't like it very much but he at least saves my eLua configuration and have xmodem.
But still thinking of a way to make this a little better.

regards,
Marcelo