TI Stellaris Launchpad

Andres Molina-Markham Andres Molina-Markham

TI Stellaris Launchpad

Hi all,

I am interested in running eLua on a TI Stellaris Launchpad (http://www.ti.com/ww/en/launchpad/stellaris_head.html?DCMP=stellaris-launchpad&HQS=stellaris-launchpad-b).

Can anyone kindly suggest how I can tackle this port?

Should I start from the Kinetis port (https://github.com/elua/elua/tree/kinetis)? or perhaps from the STM32F4DISCOVERY port (http://wiki.eluaproject.net/STM32F4DISCOVERY)?

Or perhaps there is a general template to base a port on?

Thank you,

Andres

Re: TI Stellaris Launchpad

Hi,

On Tue, Feb 19, 2013 at 10:49 PM, Andres Molina-Markham <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am interested in running eLua on a TI Stellaris Launchpad (http://www.ti.com/ww/en/launchpad/stellaris_head.html?DCMP=stellaris-launchpad&HQS=stellaris-launchpad-b).
>
> Can anyone kindly suggest how I can tackle this port?
>
> Should I start from the Kinetis port (https://github.com/elua/elua/tree/kinetis)? or perhaps from the STM32F4DISCOVERY port (http://wiki.eluaproject.net/STM32F4DISCOVERY)?

Neither. The Cortex M3 and M4 architectures are not that different, so
I would suggest starting from the LM3S platform port and build on that
(I don't know how much the TI support library has changed from M3 to
M4 parts though).

> Or perhaps there is a general template to base a port on?

No. Even if it was, I doubt it would be much help in this case, since
the LM3S backend should provide a much better code base.

> Thank you,
>
> Andres

Andres Molina-Markham Andres Molina-Markham

Re: TI Stellaris Launchpad

Thank you Bogdan,

I will give it a shot.

Cheers,

Andres

On Feb 19, 2013, at 04:59 PM, Bogdan Marinescu <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

On Tue, Feb 19, 2013 at 10:49 PM, Andres Molina-Markham <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am interested in running eLua on a TI Stellaris Launchpad (http://www.ti.com/ww/en/launchpad/stellaris_head.html?DCMP=stellaris-launchpad&HQS=stellaris-launchpad-b).
>
> Can anyone kindly suggest how I can tackle this port?
>
> Should I start from the Kinetis port (https://github.com/elua/elua/tree/kinetis)? or perhaps from the STM32F4DISCOVERY port (http://wiki.eluaproject.net/STM32F4DISCOVERY)?

Neither. The Cortex M3 and M4 architectures are not that different, so
I would suggest starting from the LM3S platform port and build on that
(I don't know how much the TI support library has changed from M3 to
M4 parts though).

> Or perhaps there is a general template to base a port on?

No. Even if it was, I doubt it would be much help in this case, since
the LM3S backend should provide a much better code base.

> Thank you,
>
> Andres

scdr scdr

Re: TI Stellaris Launchpad

I have done a bunch of work on a port for the Stellaris Launchpad.
Some other things came up so haven't gotten it posted on git yet
(if you look in the archives you will see a little bit of discussion of this a month or 2 back).
Got it to the point of compiling mostly (using Code Composer Studio),
but haven't put together tool chain to compile it for real, or tried linking/running.

What I have done is mostly adapting the LM3S code to the LM4F (handling differences in the peripherals, etc.)
I did that before I found out that the big limitation will probably be the limited memory available on the launchpad.
I would suggest that looking at how to trim the eLua memory footprint might be the first place you might want to
concentrate on.

Will try to post what I have done soon.

Ah yes. I found the thread and the comments about the limited amount of RAM on the stellaris launchpad.

I'll start playing with it to try to reduce the RAM footprint.

Thanks,

Andres