Sub-directory support for ROMFS

raman raman

Sub-directory support for ROMFS

Hello,

I am a student. I have been working with Elua on LM3S8962.
I notice that the ROMFS is a flat file system. I would like to
implement a sub-directory feature for ROMFS. Is it viable ?
Is there a reason this feature doesn't already exist ?

Please tell me if I am in the right direction.

Awaiting your response,

Raman

Re: Sub-directory support for ROMFS

Hi Raman,

On Thu, Jun 9, 2011 at 9:59 AM, Raman Gopalan <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,

I am a student. I have been working with Elua on LM3S8962.
I notice that the ROMFS is a flat file system. I would like to
implement a sub-directory feature for ROMFS. Is it viable ?
Is there a reason this feature doesn't already exist ?

Please tell me if I am in the right direction.

Currently eLua doesn't have the concept of directories at all. For simplicity, it just assumes a filesystem with a single directory (the root directory).  That said:

1. adding directory support is not that difficult
2. in the particular case of ROMFS, "/" is an allowed character in a filename. For example, "dir/a.txt" is a valid filename. Obviously this isn't the same as having directories, but it might be enough for many practical cases. But you're going to have to modify mkfs.py (the ROMFS file system generator) to take advantage of this feature.

RHS Linux User RHS Linux User

Re: Sub-directory support for ROMFS

Hi all,

   There was some effort towards a GNU FAT replacement
for Microsoft's proprietary stuff.

   I am not sure how far that effort got, but it might
be worth a search.

   Clearly file system interworking is a pretty important
thing to have if it doesn't "cost" too much.

   Also, the original basic FAT if probably the best supported.

   Wiz

  [NON-Text Body part not included]

On Thu, Jun 9, 2011 at 12:31 PM, RHS Linux User <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi all,

  There was some effort towards a GNU FAT replacement
for Microsoft's proprietary stuff.

  I am not sure how far that effort got, but it might
be worth a search.

  Clearly file system interworking is a pretty important
thing to have if it doesn't "cost" too much.

  Also, the original basic FAT if probably the best supported.

I'm not sure I understand how this relates to Raman's original question which was related to the ROMFS. In particular though, our eLua FATFS implementation already supports directories, it's just that eLua doesn't provide an API to access them.

On Thu, Jun 9, 2011 at 04:11, Bogdan Marinescu <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

You might need to augment the maximum length allowed for a file name too, which is currently 14, in src/fatfs/ff.h if I'm not wrong.

On Thu, Jun 9, 2011 at 8:40 PM, Dado Sutter <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

That's for FATFS only. The global limit is in inc/newliv/devman.h:

// GLOBAL maximum file length (on ALL supported filesystem)
#define DM_MAX_FNAME_LENGTH   30

We may need to update the doc at http://www.eluaproject.net/en_arch_romfs.html, where the file name limit for a ROMFS file is said to be 14.