STM43F4 port status and RPC questions

Erwin José Lopez Pulgarin Erwin José Lopez Pulgarin

STM43F4 port status and RPC questions

Greetings

I have been working with elua around a yer now, getting to know its functionality and testing it for quick prototiping and aplication developments in embedded systems for STM32 MCU. I must say I really like the arquitecture and the overall functionality, very good work.

I recently started my journey in STM32F4 with Discovery Board, and obviously elua was my first choice. After finding the branch that supports STM32F4, its performance seems very stable, until recently that I tested the RPC functionality, for which I haven't been able to put to work. Configuring boot to rpc and checking static configuration to put the serial channel being the same as the term, the generated image in fact puts the MCU for RPC, but by using luarpc in my linux machine, it hangs and no answer or prompt appears. Any help will be very useful.

Also, what are the requirements for elua development and/or contributing to improving elua in general? I would like to support the project and help in the stm32f4 merging with master, and also testing and bug fixing. I have a good understanding about MCU architecture, lua and a lot of enthusiasm :)

--
Gracias

Erwin José López Pulgarín

Re: STM43F4 port status and RPC questions

Hi,

On Wed, Sep 19, 2012 at 3:26 AM, Erwin José Lopez Pulgarin
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Greetings
>
> I have been working with elua around a yer now, getting to know its
> functionality and testing it for quick prototiping and aplication
> developments in embedded systems for STM32 MCU. I must say I really like the
> arquitecture and the overall functionality, very good work.

Thanks for your kind words.

> I recently started my journey in STM32F4 with Discovery Board, and obviously
> elua was my first choice. After finding the branch that supports STM32F4,
> its performance seems very stable, until recently that I tested the RPC
> functionality, for which I haven't been able to put to work. Configuring
> boot to rpc and checking static configuration to put the serial channel
> being the same as the term, the generated image in fact puts the MCU for
> RPC, but by using luarpc in my linux machine, it hangs and no answer or
> prompt appears. Any help will be very useful.

I think you need to either start debugging the code or wait for James
to show up with some hints. My expertise in the RPC area is quite
limited.

> Also, what are the requirements for elua development and/or contributing to
> improving elua in general?

In a word, pull requests on github.

> I would like to support the project and help in
> the stm32f4 merging with master, and also testing and bug fixing. I have a
> good understanding about MCU architecture, lua and a lot of enthusiasm :)

The only reason that I let the STM32F4 leave on a separate branch is
that the STM32 backend desperately needs some refactoring (it's not
the only one that needs refactoring, but since it's quite big, this
problem is more obvious on STM32). The code is already messy and it
would become even more so by adding the STM32F4 changes. If you want
to work on this task, be my guest. We need to separate the STM32
backend into a common part and CPU-dependent parts, in order to avoid
a maintenance nightmare.