STM32. elua to open serial port

tobor tobor

STM32. elua to open serial port

I have the STM32 stamp. It seems to work well.  I would like to open a second serial port from the shell to send text out. Is this possible? And if so, how?

thanks,
Bill

Re: STM32. elua to open serial port

Hi,

On Tue, Mar 15, 2011 at 10:03 PM, Bill <[hidden email]> wrote:
I have the STM32 stamp. It seems to work well.  I would like to open a second serial port from the shell to send text out. Is this possible? And if so, how?

You can do it from Lua (using the UART module), but not from the shell. Why do you need to send text from the eLua shell ?

tobor tobor

On Tue, Mar 15, 2011 at 10:28 PM, Bill <[hidden email]> wrote:
Not sure what you mean by 'from Lua (using the UART module)? How is that different from the elua shell?

You have the eLua shell (the one that gives you commands such as ls, copy, help, lua ... ) and the standard "lua shell" (the actual Lua interpreter).

Seems like this could be a good tool for writing dynamic test scripts for random serial devices I may attach to.

You could simply do "lua script.lua" from the eLua shell and write your program inside script.lua.

tobor tobor

On Tue, Mar 15, 2011 at 17:28, Bill <[hidden email]> wrote:
Not sure what you mean by 'from Lua (using the UART module)? How is that different from the elua shell?

The eLua shell is what you (usually) get when you power-up or reset your kit with eLua.
It has a few commands to show files on the File Systems, to run Lua programs you have written or to run the Lua Interpreter, which has the usual Lua prompt (like the one in your Desktop).
More info about the eLua shell can be found at http://www.eluaproject.net/en_using.html#shell

If you start the Lua interpreter or if you run one of your Lua programs, their environment will contain "modules" added by eLua, which relate to all the supported peripherals of your platform.
uart is the name of one of these modules, the one you seem to be looking for and some more info about it can be found at http://www.eluaproject.net/en_refman_gen_uart.html#overview

Seems like this could be a good tool for writing dynamic test scripts for random serial devices I may attach to.

Yes, you can easily talk to your serial devices, attached to any of the UARTs of your platform (other the one used for the Terminal), and automate your tests with Lua scripts or interactively, on the Lua Interpreter command prompt. (or what you seem to call the "Lua shell").

Don't hesitate to share your ideas and project needs. We'll be glad to help you get the most from eLua.