Re: How can I use eLua as embedded interpreter in my firmware ?

scdr scdr

Re: How can I use eLua as embedded interpreter in my firmware ?

As far as RAM, eLua can be run in 32kb RAM on an LM4 board (TI's replacement for the LM3s, but uses same libraries, etc.)
Compiling it integer only without the line editor, PWM, CAN, I2C, but with ADC
eLua takes on the order of 5kb for static data and stack.
Not sure how much could save on that by stripping out other functions you do not need.
A little harder to get a handle on how much dynamically allocated memory it uses.
Presumably you would be pre-compiling your scripts (saving them in the ROM file system), so you wouldn't need RAM for them.

Martin Guy Martin Guy

On 2 August 2013 07:48,  <[hidden email]> wrote:
> As far as RAM, eLua can be run in 32kb RAM on an LM4 board...

That's all true, but the guy was asking if eLua would help him add Lua
scripting to his existing application, which it can't.  eLua is itself
an entire application proram, a tiny operating system wrapping Lua,
whereas his application already is already inside its own embedded
operating system.

Lua itself is already designed to be embedded inside existing
applications, so he could do this, but would need to provide malloc()
and so on to Lua.  eLua may be useful if he wants to re-use
platform-specific modules such as PWM, ADC, I2C and so on, if his
existing OS doesn't have any way to drive them.