RFS / RPC

Matt Wilbur Matt Wilbur

RFS / RPC

Hi Folks,

I have pitched eLua to use a POST / BIST test environment for one of our products and stakeholders seem to be on board.  One issue I still have to resolve is the ability of test engineers to customize the environment and add their own scripts (in addition to what is installed in /rom).

Is your feeling that RFS and/or RPC are mature enough for this task?

Matt

Re: RFS / RPC

On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 9:23 AM, Matt Wilbur <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Folks,
> I have pitched eLua to use a POST / BIST test environment for one of our
> products and stakeholders seem to be on board.  One issue I still have to
> resolve is the ability of test engineers to customize the environment and
> add their own scripts (in addition to what is installed in /rom).
> Is your feeling that RFS and/or RPC are mature enough for this task?

I have not used RFS on a dedicated serial line extensively, but have
encountered some issues while using RFS with SERMUX to share a serial
line where I would get some hanging, which I wasn't able to narrow
down satisfactorily.  I think this may have more to do with SERMUX
than RFS and It may be that this was due to USB->Serial cable I was
using being unshielded and experiencing noise that was causing
corruption of communications.  Bogdan might be able to speak to more
extensive experiences with stability/maturity.

LuaRPC has been pretty stable for me when I've used it for some
long-running tasks, especially when set to boot into RPC mode.  I've
also used it in some looping code where a function is executed
periodically on the MCU, and then between iterations it checks for
waiting RPC data.  I believe there might be a pending commit or two
for making the latter easier to do which I'll try and integrate
shortly along with usage examples.  One caveat: do not print on the
MCU side if you have RPC set up on the same line as the console UART.

In short: RFS on a dedicated serial line may be stable/mature (others
would need to chime in).  RPC is pretty stable/mature as long as you
don't output anything else to the serial line being used for RPC.

Some additional notes, just for reference:
There is also MMCFS (SD card w/ FAT) and it should probably also be
possible to get the "semifs" semihosting support that I wrote for mbed
FS to work for other ARM targets with a debugger active to access the
debugger's filesystem, but I haven't explored making semihosting work
any any other context than mbed.

> Matt
Matt Wilbur Matt Wilbur

Re: RFS / RPC

On Sep 20, 2011 2:05 PM, "James Snyder" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 9:23 AM, Matt Wilbur <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi Folks,
> > I have pitched eLua to use a POST / BIST test environment for one of our
> > products and stakeholders seem to be on board.  One issue I still have to
> > resolve is the ability of test engineers to customize the environment and
> > add their own scripts (in addition to what is installed in /rom).
> > Is your feeling that RFS and/or RPC are mature enough for this task?
>

> In short: RFS on a dedicated serial line may be stable/mature (others
> would need to chime in).  RPC is pretty stable/mature as long as you
> don't output anything else to the serial line being used for RPC.
>
> Some additional notes, just for reference:
> There is also MMCFS (SD card w/ FAT) and it should probably also be
> possible to get the "semifs" semihosting support that I wrote for mbed
> FS to work for other ARM targets with a debugger active to access the
> debugger's filesystem, but I haven't explored making semihosting work
> any any other context than mbed.

Unfortunately, I'm using PPC, so semifs is probably out.  That probably isn't what I need anyway, since this will be running on a modem for use by HW testers.  I may have serial (SPI) flash at my disposal, but not MMC.  I may see if I can use YAFFS (a guy at my work ported that recently for SPI flash).  I *might* have two serial ports to use.

Is eLua being used in any real products out there?

Matt

> > Matt

Re: RFS / RPC

On Sun, Sep 25, 2011 at 11:38 AM, Matt Wilbur <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sep 20, 2011 2:05 PM, "James Snyder" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 9:23 AM, Matt Wilbur <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Hi Folks,
>> > I have pitched eLua to use a POST / BIST test environment for one of our
>> > products and stakeholders seem to be on board.  One issue I still have
>> > resolve is the ability of test engineers to customize the environment
>> > and
>> > add their own scripts (in addition to what is installed in /rom).
>> > Is your feeling that RFS and/or RPC are mature enough for this task?
>>

>> In short: RFS on a dedicated serial line may be stable/mature (others
>> would need to chime in).  RPC is pretty stable/mature as long as you
>> don't output anything else to the serial line being used for RPC.
>>
>> Some additional notes, just for reference:
>> There is also MMCFS (SD card w/ FAT) and it should probably also be
>> possible to get the "semifs" semihosting support that I wrote for mbed
>> FS to work for other ARM targets with a debugger active to access the
>> debugger's filesystem, but I haven't explored making semihosting work
>> any any other context than mbed.
>
> Unfortunately, I'm using PPC, so semifs is probably out.  That probably
> isn't what I need anyway, since this will be running on a modem for use by
> HW testers.  I may have serial (SPI) flash at my disposal, but not MMC.  I
> may see if I can use YAFFS (a guy at my work ported that recently for SPI
> flash).  I *might* have two serial ports to use.

Got it.  These tools do provide different abilities.  Are you just
looking for a way to easily access updated code on the targets? do you
need programmatic control?

> Is eLua being used in any real products out there?

Yes, and we do have a page on our wiki that mentions some of the eLua
users, though you may find it a little sparse on details:
http://wiki.eluaproject.net/Who%20is%20using

Some of the links on there are related to clients of a group a PUC Rio
in Brazil (depending on the client Dado may be able to provide more
details when he's back online again for some of those), plus some
vendors of development kits that have hardware on the market (like
Micromint http://www.micromint.com/index.php/SBC/eagle-50.html) and
some that are coming to market soon (Mizar32, mentioned on the page
linked on the wiki).  There are other interested parties and projects
under development that I/we can't comment on in public at the moment.

The core of eLua, Lua + LTR (Lua Tiny RAM) + EGC (Emergency Garbage
Collection) + (other newlib stuff) is pretty robust and has been
tested with the same test suite as Lua has.  If you have specific
questions about other components, definitely let me or the list know.
Components with less extensive testing have been labeled as
experimental in the docs.

Certainly if you need help with porting or development we'll do our
best to answer any questions you may have.