[PseudoPoll] eLua forum?

Hi all,

I've been thinking for a while now about adding a forum to our eLua project.
Its final purpose would be to replace the discussion lists, because of two
main reasons:

- (arguably) the information on a forum is better structured than on a
mailing list
- the BerliOS lists server doesn't let you search the mailing lists, it just
lets you browse the archives (see for example
https://lists.berlios.de/pipermail/elua-dev/), which is a huge limitation
IMO.

With this in mind, I'd like to start a pseudo-poll on this list (cause it's
kinda hard to do a _real_ poll using just a mailing list mechanism, and I'd
like to have an open discussion anyway) on these topics:

1. would you like to have a forum rather than a mailing list? (cause I don't
see a reason for keeping both going in parallel, other than duplicating
information and confusing users, which aren't exactly my goals at this point
:) ).
2. do you know of a good, free/cheap hosting service for forums, preferably
using phpBB? (one of the "must have" features I'm looking for is the
possibility to save the state of the forum at a given point in time, so if
we decide to move on another server we won't loose the threads already
available on the forum). if it's free, it can have ads, as long as they're
not too annoying :)

Let me be the first to vote on this:

1. yes
2. no freaking idea. All the free forum hosting sites I could find with
google (although I admit I only tried a few) don't seem to give you the
possibility to save the state of your forum.

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

Asko Kauppi Asko Kauppi

[PseudoPoll] eLua forum?

I've never stayed hooked on a forum, not even ones that should have
been interesting.

I've definately stayed hooked on some mailing lists (lua-l among them).

It is true that in order to be useful a list needs good search
utilities (like lua-l has). Would it maybe be possible to ask who's
presenting the current lua-l tools and maybe replicate that as elua-l,
with search and all).

1. no
2. who sponsors lua-l?

I think it's conectiva.com.br

-asko

Bogdan Marinescu kirjoitti 22.2.2009 kello 13:18:

> Hi all,
>
> I've been thinking for a while now about adding a forum to our eLua
> project. Its final purpose would be to replace the discussion lists,
> because of two main reasons:
>
> - (arguably) the information on a forum is better structured than on
> a mailing list
> - the BerliOS lists server doesn't let you search the mailing lists,
> it just lets you browse the archives (see for example https://lists.berlios.de/pipermail/elua-dev/)
> , which is a huge limitation IMO.
>
> With this in mind, I'd like to start a pseudo-poll on this list
> (cause it's kinda hard to do a _real_ poll using just a mailing list
> mechanism, and I'd like to have an open discussion anyway) on these
> topics:
>
> 1. would you like to have a forum rather than a mailing list? (cause
> I don't see a reason for keeping both going in parallel, other than
> duplicating information and confusing users, which aren't exactly my
> goals at this point :) ).
> 2. do you know of a good, free/cheap hosting service for forums,
> preferably using phpBB? (one of the "must have" features I'm looking
> for is the possibility to save the state of the forum at a given
> point in time, so if we decide to move on another server we won't
> loose the threads already available on the forum). if it's free, it
> can have ads, as long as they're not too annoying :)
>
> Let me be the first to vote on this:
>
> 1. yes
> 2. no freaking idea. All the free forum hosting sites I could find
> with google (although I admit I only tried a few) don't seem to give
> you the possibility to save the state of your forum.
>
> Best,
> Bogdan

Dean Hall Dean Hall

[PseudoPoll] eLua forum?

1. no.  I find it faster to search my gmail for the old thread.  I
have subconsciously stopped going to websites that run forums, even
though they might have good info (avrfreaks comes to mind).

!!Dean

On Feb 22, 2009, at 05:18 , Bogdan Marinescu wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've been thinking for a while now about adding a forum to our eLua
> project. Its final purpose would be to replace the discussion lists,
> because of two main reasons:
>
> - (arguably) the information on a forum is better structured than on
> a mailing list
> - the BerliOS lists server doesn't let you search the mailing lists,
> it just lets you browse the archives (see for example https://lists.berlios.de/pipermail/elua-dev/)
> , which is a huge limitation IMO.
>
> With this in mind, I'd like to start a pseudo-poll on this list
> (cause it's kinda hard to do a _real_ poll using just a mailing list
> mechanism, and I'd like to have an open discussion anyway) on these
> topics:
>
> 1. would you like to have a forum rather than a mailing list? (cause
> I don't see a reason for keeping both going in parallel, other than
> duplicating information and confusing users, which aren't exactly my
> goals at this point :) ).
> 2. do you know of a good, free/cheap hosting service for forums,
> preferably using phpBB? (one of the "must have" features I'm looking
> for is the possibility to save the state of the forum at a given
> point in time, so if we decide to move on another server we won't
> loose the threads already available on the forum). if it's free, it
> can have ads, as long as they're not too annoying :)
>
> Let me be the first to vote on this:
>
> 1. yes
> 2. no freaking idea. All the free forum hosting sites I could find
> with google (although I admit I only tried a few) don't seem to give
> you the possibility to save the state of your forum.
>
> Best,
> Bogdan

Asko Kauppi Asko Kauppi

Re: [eLua-dev] [PseudoPoll] eLua forum?

The only good forum-like system I know is www.stackoverflow.com.

Maybe it's good because of the temporary nature of the articles (=
questions). You ask (checking there's no previous duplicate; they
handle this nicely as part of the workflow), you get answers, you
qualify the answers, you close the question.

I don't think SO qualifies as a forum, though.

-asko

Dean Hall kirjoitti 22.2.2009 kello 16:38:

> 1. no.  I find it faster to search my gmail for the old thread.  I
> have subconsciously stopped going to websites that run forums, even
> though they might have good info (avrfreaks comes to mind).
>
> !!Dean
>
> On Feb 22, 2009, at 05:18 , Bogdan Marinescu wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I've been thinking for a while now about adding a forum to our eLua
>> project. Its final purpose would be to replace the discussion lists,
>> because of two main reasons:
>>
>> - (arguably) the information on a forum is better structured than on
>> a mailing list
>> - the BerliOS lists server doesn't let you search the mailing lists,
>> it just lets you browse the archives (see for example https://lists.berlios.de/pipermail/elua-dev/)
>> , which is a huge limitation IMO.
>>
>> With this in mind, I'd like to start a pseudo-poll on this list
>> (cause it's kinda hard to do a _real_ poll using just a mailing list
>> mechanism, and I'd like to have an open discussion anyway) on these
>> topics:
>>
>> 1. would you like to have a forum rather than a mailing list? (cause
>> I don't see a reason for keeping both going in parallel, other than
>> duplicating information and confusing users, which aren't exactly my
>> goals at this point :) ).
>> 2. do you know of a good, free/cheap hosting service for forums,
>> preferably using phpBB? (one of the "must have" features I'm looking
>> for is the possibility to save the state of the forum at a given
>> point in time, so if we decide to move on another server we won't
>> loose the threads already available on the forum). if it's free, it
>> can have ads, as long as they're not too annoying :)
>>
>> Let me be the first to vote on this:
>>
>> 1. yes
>> 2. no freaking idea. All the free forum hosting sites I could find
>> with google (although I admit I only tried a few) don't seem to give
>> you the possibility to save the state of your forum.
>>
>> Best,
>> Bogdan

Re: [eLua-dev] [PseudoPoll] eLua forum?

Search support is important, and forums can be a better format for support, in particular.  How about something that does both without getting rid of the list :-)

Have you checked out Nabble?  You can either explicitly create forums at Nabble, or have it work with an existing list.  If you use it with an existing list it will archive it for you, and give you a decent layout of threads, and allow for searching.  On top of that, though, people who get an account with Nabble can treat it like a forum and respond to posts through the site.  If you don't want full list volume coming into your inbox (this is why I've used it in the past), you can selectively follow threads or searches and get updates emailed to you.

Here's a link to the eLua-dev archiver that I've set up (I think it still requires moderator approval before it can join our list): http://n2.nabble.com/elua-dev-f2368040.html

You can also embed it in your site (I've never tried this though).

-jsnyder

----- "Bogdan Marinescu" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've been thinking for a while now about adding a forum to our eLua project. Its final purpose would be to replace the discussion lists, because of two main reasons:
>
> - (arguably) the information on a forum is better structured than on a mailing list
> - the BerliOS lists server doesn't let you search the mailing lists, it just lets you browse the archives (see for example https://lists.berlios.de/pipermail/elua-dev/), which is a huge limitation IMO.
>
> With this in mind, I'd like to start a pseudo-poll on this list (cause it's kinda hard to do a _real_ poll using just a mailing list mechanism, and I'd like to have an open discussion anyway) on these topics:
>
> 1. would you like to have a forum rather than a mailing list? (cause I don't see a reason for keeping both going in parallel, other than duplicating information and confusing users, which aren't exactly my goals at this point :) ).
> 2. do you know of a good, free/cheap hosting service for forums, preferably using phpBB? (one of the "must have" features I'm looking for is the possibility to save the state of the forum at a given point in time, so if we decide to move on another server we won't loose the threads already available on the forum). if it's free, it can have ads, as long as they're not too annoying :)
>
> Let me be the first to vote on this:
>
> 1. yes
> 2. no freaking idea. All the free forum hosting sites I could find with google (although I admit I only tried a few) don't seem to give you the possibility to save the state of your forum.
>
> Best,
> Bogdan

Re: [eLua-dev] [PseudoPoll] eLua forum?

Looks like it has now joined.  FYI I think it is being stupid about not making this conversation a thread because it didn't get the start of it (though I'm not sure).

Here's an example of a list that I didn't want the full volume of, but set up to archive on Nabble (if you want to see how a populated list looks):
http://n2.nabble.com/git-f661346.html

----- "James Snyder" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Search support is important, and forums can be a better format for support, in particular.  How about something that does both without getting rid of the list :-)
>
> Have you checked out Nabble?  You can either explicitly create forums at Nabble, or have it work with an existing list.  If you use it with an existing list it will archive it for you, and give you a decent layout of threads, and allow for searching.  On top of that, though, people who get an account with Nabble can treat it like a forum and respond to posts through the site.  If you don't want full list volume coming into your inbox (this is why I've used it in the past), you can selectively follow threads or searches and get updates emailed to you.
>
> Here's a link to the eLua-dev archiver that I've set up (I think it still requires moderator approval before it can join our list): http://n2.nabble.com/elua-dev-f2368040.html
>
> You can also embed it in your site (I've never tried this though).
>
> -jsnyder
>
> ----- "Bogdan Marinescu" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I've been thinking for a while now about adding a forum to our eLua project. Its final purpose would be to replace the discussion lists, because of two main reasons:
> >
> > - (arguably) the information on a forum is better structured than on a mailing list
> > - the BerliOS lists server doesn't let you search the mailing lists, it just lets you browse the archives (see for example https://lists.berlios.de/pipermail/elua-dev/), which is a huge limitation IMO.
> >
> > With this in mind, I'd like to start a pseudo-poll on this list (cause it's kinda hard to do a _real_ poll using just a mailing list mechanism, and I'd like to have an open discussion anyway) on these topics:
> >
> > 1. would you like to have a forum rather than a mailing list? (cause I don't see a reason for keeping both going in parallel, other than duplicating information and confusing users, which aren't exactly my goals at this point :) ).
> > 2. do you know of a good, free/cheap hosting service for forums, preferably using phpBB? (one of the "must have" features I'm looking for is the possibility to save the state of the forum at a given point in time, so if we decide to move on another server we won't loose the threads already available on the forum). if it's free, it can have ads, as long as they're not too annoying :)
> >
> > Let me be the first to vote on this:
> >
> > 1. yes
> > 2. no freaking idea. All the free forum hosting sites I could find with google (although I admit I only tried a few) don't seem to give you the possibility to save the state of your forum.
> >
> > Best,
> > Bogdan

Re: [eLua-dev] [PseudoPoll] eLua forum?

Here are some examples they provide of embedding:
http://www.nabble.com/help/Answer.jtp?id=36

(sorry to keep generating more mail for incremental comments :-) )

> [...]

> > > 2. do you know of a good, free/cheap hosting service for forums, preferably using phpBB? (one of the "must have" features I'm looking for is the possibility to save the state of the forum at a given point in time, so if we decide to move on another server we won't loose the threads already available on the forum). if it's free, it can have ads, as long as they're not too annoying :)
> > >
> > > Let me be the first to vote on this:
> > >
> > > 1. yes
> > > 2. no freaking idea. All the free forum hosting sites I could find with google (although I admit I only tried a few) don't seem to give you the possibility to save the state of your forum.

Ahhhh, so THAT's what Nabble does! :) Thanks!

On Sun, Feb 22, 2009 at 6:43 PM, James Snyder <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

> > > 2. do you know of a good, free/cheap hosting service for forums, preferably using phpBB? (one of the "must have" features I'm looking for is the possibility to save the state of the forum at a given point in time, so if we decide to move on another server we won't loose the threads already available on the forum). if it's free, it can have ads, as long as they're not too annoying :)
> > >
> > > Let me be the first to vote on this:
> > >
> > > 1. yes
> > > 2. no freaking idea. All the free forum hosting sites I could find with google (although I admit I only tried a few) don't seem to give you the possibility to save the state of your forum.

This looks very nice, but do you have any idea what happens if an unregistered user tries to post something there? Currently, the eLua dev list is moderated, and I'd like to keep it like this. I'll try to post something stupid and see how that goes :) Is there an option to limit the access only to "registered" users, or maybe make the whole thing read-only?

On Sun, Feb 22, 2009 at 6:46 PM, Bogdan Marinescu <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

> > > 2. do you know of a good, free/cheap hosting service for forums, preferably using phpBB? (one of the "must have" features I'm looking for is the possibility to save the state of the forum at a given point in time, so if we decide to move on another server we won't loose the threads already available on the forum). if it's free, it can have ads, as long as they're not too annoying :)
> > >
> > > Let me be the first to vote on this:
> > >
> > > 1. yes
> > > 2. no freaking idea. All the free forum hosting sites I could find with google (although I admit I only tried a few) don't seem to give you the possibility to save the state of your forum.

Ah nice, it requires the user to be subscribed, which is cool. Still curious about what happens with the messages posted to the "forum" interface that DON'T make it to the list, because the poster isn't subscribed.

On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 12:32 AM, Bogdan Marinescu <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

> > > 2. do you know of a good, free/cheap hosting service for forums, preferably using phpBB? (one of the "must have" features I'm looking for is the possibility to save the state of the forum at a given point in time, so if we decide to move on another server we won't loose the threads already available on the forum). if it's free, it can have ads, as long as they're not too annoying :)
> > >
> > > Let me be the first to vote on this:
> > >
> > > 1. yes
> > > 2. no freaking idea. All the free forum hosting sites I could find with google (although I admit I only tried a few) don't seem to give you the possibility to save the state of your forum.

Bittencourt Bittencourt

Re: [eLua-dev] [PseudoPoll] eLua forum?

I suggest a restricted forum/list for dev and a "public" (need to register) list/forum for eLua users (by now, all users are sharing their opinions in development, but maybe some people just want to use eLua for other projects).

About the list/forum issue, I'm very habituated to use GMail search and label to find stuff quickly. So I vote for the mail list, but nothing against a dev-forum coexisting

--Pedro Bittencourt

On Sun, Feb 22, 2009 at 7:37 PM, Bogdan Marinescu <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

> > > 2. do you know of a good, free/cheap hosting service for forums, preferably using phpBB? (one of the "must have" features I'm looking for is the possibility to save the state of the forum at a given point in time, so if we decide to move on another server we won't loose the threads already available on the forum). if it's free, it can have ads, as long as they're not too annoying :)
> > >
> > > Let me be the first to vote on this:
> > >
> > > 1. yes
> > > 2. no freaking idea. All the free forum hosting sites I could find with google (although I admit I only tried a few) don't seem to give you the possibility to save the state of your forum.

You can restrict posting on the Nabble side as well.

Options > Users > Who can view & post?

I'm not sure what happens if you double-up on things such that you moderate adding users on the Nabble side, as well as on the list.

I also forget how they handle things that get posted on the forum, that do or don't make it to the list.

It does walk you through the list signup process for posting, though.

-jsnyder

----- "Bogdan Marinescu" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ah nice, it requires the user to be subscribed, which is cool. Still curious about what happens with the messages posted to the "forum" interface that DON'T make it to the list, because the poster isn't subscribed.
>
> Best,
> Bogdan
>

> On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 12:32 AM, Bogdan Marinescu <[hidden email]> wrote:

This looks very nice, but do you have any idea what happens if an unregistered user tries to post something there? Currently, the eLua dev list is moderated, and I'd like to keep it like this. I'll try to post something stupid and see how that goes :) Is there an option to limit the access only to "registered" users, or maybe make the whole thing read-only?

> Best,
> Bogdan
>

> On Sun, Feb 22, 2009 at 6:46 PM, Bogdan Marinescu <[hidden email]> wrote:

Ahhhh, so THAT's what Nabble does! :) Thanks!

> Best,
> Bogdan

On Sun, Feb 22, 2009 at 6:43 PM, James Snyder <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Here are some examples they provide of embedding:
> http://www.nabble.com/help/Answer.jtp?id=36
>
> (sorry to keep generating more mail for incremental comments :-) )

> ----- "James Snyder" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Looks like it has now joined.  FYI I think it is being stupid about not making this conversation a thread because it didn't get the start of it (though I'm not sure).
> >
> > Here's an example of a list that I didn't want the full volume of, but set up to archive on Nabble (if you want to see how a populated list looks):
> > http://n2.nabble.com/git-f661346.html
> >
> > ----- "James Snyder" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > >
> > > Search support is important, and forums can be a better format for support, in particular.  How about something that does both without getting rid of the list :-)
> > >
> > > Have you checked out Nabble?  You can either explicitly create forums at Nabble, or have it work with an existing list.  If you use it with an existing list it will archive it for you, and give you a decent layout of threads, and allow for searching.  On top of that, though, people who get an account with Nabble can treat it like a forum and respond to posts through the site.  If you don't want full list volume coming into your inbox (this is why I've used it in the past), you can selectively follow threads or searches and get updates emailed to you.
> > >
> > > Here's a link to the eLua-dev archiver that I've set up (I think it still requires moderator approval before it can join our list): http://n2.nabble.com/elua-dev-f2368040.html
> > >
> > > You can also embed it in your site (I've never tried this though).
> > >
> > > -jsnyder

Re: [eLua-dev] [PseudoPoll] eLua forum?

You can restrict posting on the Nabble side as well.

Options > Users > Who can view & post?

I think that option only appears to you, since you're the one that created the forum. I can't see it in my options.

I'm not sure what happens if you double-up on things such that you moderate adding users on the Nabble side, as well as on the list.

We're open for experimentation, fortunately :) Looks pretty cool so far.

I also forget how they handle things that get posted on the forum, that do or don't make it to the list.

Just sent me a message that the message still didn't get approve on the list and that I should delete it, which I did.

Tony-12 Tony-12

Re: [eLua-dev] [PseudoPoll] eLua forum?

Bogdan Marinescu wrote:
1. No
2. No

I haven't been impressed with most forums, including all phpBB-based forums.  About the only one I liked was the old InfoWorld Electric forums before 2000; most forums get in the way of good discussions (I haven't tried StackOverflow yet).

Using a mailing list with gmail works well -- I can use gmail to search and archive, and if I want to see everything at once, I can use Thunderbird with gmail IMAP access to keep on top of my various mailing lists (Lua, eLua, etc).

--Tony
[...]

1. no  (I would actually send a NO :)
2. no

   To host a searchable list is an easy task imho.
   I know very few people who frequent forums (besides peeking here and there for specific infos) and nobody that really "likes" them.
   A better way to "organize information" would be to have a User's Wiki (on Sputnik) imho.
   About Pedro's suggestion, to split our list in two different lists, one for developers and one for general users is something we have in mind. But the community is still small and most "users" are developers & users for now. So I think we could wait a bit more to do it, unless someone out there is already worried about OT "noise" or general list focus. I would appreciate to hear more comments on that too (maybe in a different thread).