Problem with space memory in Lm3s8962

César Raúl Mamani Choquehuanca César Raúl Mamani Choquehuanca

Problem with space memory in Lm3s8962

Hello all,

I'm using a LM3S8962 for my programming, but i understand why comments take up space in memory controller. Also I deleted almost files of ROMFS and can't send my lua file to lm3s8962 cause it send me the next message for example "got 4883 bytes" even i reduce my code or remove os comments. Before i dont have that problem. Im using the svn public repository.
Best
César R. Mamani Ch.

Re: Problem with space memory in Lm3s8962

Hello,

On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 12:23, César Raúl Mamani Choquehuanca <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello all,

I'm using a LM3S8962 for my programming, but i understand why comments take up space in memory controller.
I didn't understand exactly if you _do_ understand or if you _don't_ understand why comments in programs take up space in memory.
Files stored in the ROMFS occupies Flash memory, whether if it is code, comments or whatever.
You can save Flash space if your source files are well commented using the "romfs" build parameter. It currently supports two diferent modes, other than the default "verbatim" that is means store the files as they are.
1 - scons board=EK-LM3S8962 romfs=compress prog
     Files are stored as source (Lua will compile them at load-time) but an algorithm removes comments, spaces, compresses var names and everything possible. The file stays semantically identical to your original but it now occupies much less space.
2 - scons board=EK-LM3S8962 romfs=compile prog

Lua source files are compiled and only the bytecodes are stored in the ROMFS. You don't have access to your source code anymore (i.e.: can't io.read it as string lines...) but it takes even less space in the ROMFS and it also loads a bit faster, because Lua doesn't have to parse and compile it before executing.

Pls note that the examples above are for your EK-LM3S8962 kit but the romfs option works for any target. It works from eLua v0.7 on.

Also I deleted almost files of ROMFS and can't send my lua file to lm3s8962 cause it send me the next message for example "got 4883 bytes"
This is usually a message sent from the "recv" shell command right ?
In this case we don't have support yet to send Lua bytecodes over XModem and you need to remove manually your comments from your source or get a kit with some more ram :(
This is easially (and fun !) done in Lua using string.gsub or similar techniques. You can also search the web for the Lua lib that does source code compressing and use it.

even i reduce my code or remove os comments.
Do you mean, you have removed all your comments already and you still can't transmit the source via XModem from a terminal ? I have to check if we have some constraints like a "file buffer" limitation but I don't think so.

Before i dont have that problem. Im using the svn public repository.

Maybe your program have been growing too much since then ?

And congrats again for your great project !!!!!!!! http://wiki.eluaproject.net/Anubisway

On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 8:38 PM, Dado Sutter <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,

On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 12:23, César Raúl Mamani Choquehuanca <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello all,

I'm using a LM3S8962 for my programming, but i understand why comments take up space in memory controller.
I didn't understand exactly if you _do_ understand or if you _don't_ understand why comments in programs take up space in memory.

I'm not very sure, but I believe he means components, not comments. I didn't understand his message very well myself. César, would you pleare rephrase?

César Raúl Mamani Choquehuanca César Raúl Mamani Choquehuanca

Re: Problem with space memory in Lm3s8962

Thanks Dado,

i guess, I got the problem, well when i try to send my file (using recv) i get the message "got 211 bytes" but when i build (mode autorun file) the lm3s8962 works normally. Dado, Do you remember that you modified some file of my elua directory for make to job of "mode autorun" ? I think the file "SConstruc". I guess thats the problem.

I try to send the next code (using recv):

if pd.board()~="EK-LM3S8962" then
 print "Placa nao suportada"
 return
end

then, i have of message "got 87 bytes"

Best

César

On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 17:24, César Raúl Mamani Choquehuanca <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks Dado,

i guess, I got the problem, well when i try to send my file (using recv) i get the message "got 211 bytes" but when i build (mode autorun file) the lm3s8962 works normally.

This message is not necessarily an error, if your program happens to have 211 bytes.
Do you read something like an "Out of Memory" error somewhere ?

Dado, Do you remember that you modified some file of my elua directory for make to job of "mode autorun" ? I think the file "SConstruc". I guess thats the problem.

I think this was before we had support for autorun on the SD/MMC file system. I've commited this a while ago and it is part of the trunk now.

I try to send the next code (using recv):

if pd.board()~="EK-LM3S8962" then
 print "Placa nao suportada"
 return
end

then, i have of message "got 87 bytes"

Well, again, this seems to be right and not an error.
There is no need for the return in this "program".
Your program seems to be transfered ok and is probably running. It just doesn't print anything because your board is the EK-LM3S8962 and your if tests false.

[...]

Thats true, Hahaha I really embarrassed, I forgot how to work with Elua after my travel :( I ask so apologize all for this. :(.

Best

Cesar

[...]

Estudante da Mestrado
Pontificia Universidade Catolica
Rio da Janeiro - Gavea

On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 18:30, César Raúl Mamani Choquehuanca <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thats true, Hahaha I really embarrassed, I forgot how to work with Elua after my travel :( I ask so apologize all for this. :(.

No problem ! :)
You've got lots of credits because of the Anubisway :) :)

Best

Cesar