Preprocessor Stuff

On Wed, Jan 7, 2009 at 4:21 PM, James Snyder < jbsnyder at fanplastic.org > wrote:

Yeah, so far I am running the flash tool in a VM :(

Have you two checked the LM3S forums? I think I saw people there that used OpenOCD to flash LM3S chips, and maybe even some scripts (although my memories in this area could be fuzzy).

I have gotten OpenOCD to burn something to flash on the board, but unfortunately, so far, it doesn't seem to start up after I reset the board. I'm going to continue to mess around with it to see if I can get it working.

Weird. Did you read back the flash to make sure that it was written correctly?

Yeah, I didn't read it back. I'm finding it somewhat confusing figuring out how to deal with the latest OpenOCD syntax. I'll try poking the people in the OpenOCD forum to see if I can get a solution.

I am vaguely familiar with GIT; I read some small tutorials and I like the idea, although I never used it.
As for the other repo, it will be OK if you use it in read-only mode, otherwise not so OK, as I'm trying to avoid code forking as much as possible.
I'm curious, although a bit OT: do you prefer GIT over SVN or the other way around?

It could be done either way. If I were making changes I would not be making them on the trunk. The first thing I did before doing anything was to make a local branch (which I used to generate the patch I sent). I do like git, quite a bit, as it provides more flexibility than SVN. One thing that is nice about it is that it interoperates with svn repos pretty well. It also is designed in such a way that branching and merging are much less painful than SVN.

I guess what I was suggesting with GitHub would be to mirror the repo, and in addition to have a branch I could work in which I wouldn't merge into trunk, in order to maintain compatibility with the main eLua repository. Would that be more acceptable? If not, I can just work out of a private copy that I'll just keep on my own machines since just interacting with the main svn repo isn't bad with git.

Here's Google Tech Talk that provides an intro to git:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j45cs5_nY2k
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

Preprocessor Stuff

> Yeah, I didn't read it back.  I'm finding it somewhat confusing figuring
> out how to deal with the latest OpenOCD syntax.  I'll try poking the people
> in the OpenOCD forum to see if I can get a solution.

I know what you're saying, but unfortunately I can't help you much here, so
good luck with the OpenOCD forum. And I mean that literally. In my
experience, people there are only friendly to other OpenOCD developers.
YMMV, of course.

> It could be done either way.  If I were making changes I would not be
> making them on the trunk.  The first thing I did before doing anything was
> to make a local branch (which I used to generate the patch I sent). I do
> like git, quite a bit, as it provides more flexibility than SVN.  One thing
> that is nice about it is that it interoperates with svn repos pretty well.
> It also is designed in such a way that branching and merging are much less
> painful than SVN.

Cool, I'll take a closer look at it when I have some time.

I guess what I was suggesting with GitHub would be to mirror the repo, and
> in addition to have a branch I could work in which I wouldn't merge into
> trunk, in order to maintain compatibility with the main eLua repository.
> Would that be more acceptable?  If not, I can just work out of a private
> copy that I'll just keep on my own machines since just interacting with the
> main svn repo isn't bad with git.

You can have as many repositories as you like :) The bad things would be to
check in changes to your local repositories, changes that never make it to
the official eLua trunk. As long as this doesn't happen, everything is OK.

> Here's Google Tech Talk that provides an intro to git:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j45cs5_nY2k

Thanks!