Porting eLua to AT91SAM7s

Jonathan Hill Jonathan Hill

Porting eLua to AT91SAM7s

I'm hoping to run eLua on the Atmel AT91SAM7s256 processor, which
should be very similar to the AT91SAM7x256 processor.  I did
experiment with the Olimex SAM7-EX256 board which uses the
AT91SAM7x256 processor and was able to flash that chip with eLua.

I was able to use CodeSourcery to build eLua 0.8 for the
AT91SAM7x256 and am about dig deeper into the documentation
I just received an Olimex SAM7-P256 board which uses the
AT91SAM7s256 processor.

Your advice would be appreciated.
Jonathan

Re: Porting eLua to AT91SAM7s

Hello,
   Welcome to the list Jonathan.

On Thu, Feb 24, 2011 at 20:46, Jonathan Hill <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'm hoping to run eLua on the Atmel AT91SAM7s256 processor, which
should be very similar to the AT91SAM7x256 processor.  I did
experiment with the Olimex SAM7-EX256 board which uses the
AT91SAM7x256 processor and was able to flash that chip with eLua.

Cool. Thanks for the report.

I was able to use CodeSourcery to build eLua 0.8 for the
AT91SAM7x256 and am about dig deeper into the documentation

Nice. Pls report any problems you encounter and feel free to ask for anything here on the list.

I just received an Olimex SAM7-P256 board which uses the
AT91SAM7s256 processor.

Your advice would be appreciated.

The only Olimex kit I have is for the STR912 (ARM9) but you will (hopefully) hear some more from the list.

On Fri, Feb 25, 2011 at 1:46 AM, Jonathan Hill <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'm hoping to run eLua on the Atmel AT91SAM7s256 processor, which
> should be very similar to the AT91SAM7x256 processor.  I did
> experiment with the Olimex SAM7-EX256 board which uses the
> AT91SAM7x256 processor and was able to flash that chip with eLua.
>
> I was able to use CodeSourcery to build eLua 0.8 for the
> AT91SAM7x256 and am about dig deeper into the documentation
> I just received an Olimex SAM7-P256 board which uses the
> AT91SAM7s256 processor.

Good luck! :)

> Your advice would be appreciated.

Can you please outline the differences between 7s256 and 7x256?

Thanks,
Jonathan Hill Jonathan Hill

Re: Porting eLua to AT91SAM7s

Both use the ARM7-TDMI processor.  I'm not exactly sure how the
peripherals differ yet.  The 7s256 does not have ethernet but the
7x256 port doesn't appear to use that feature.

Jonathan

On 2/25/2011 2:39 AM, Bogdan Marinescu wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Fri, Feb 25, 2011 at 1:46 AM, Jonathan Hill<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> I'm hoping to run eLua on the Atmel AT91SAM7s256 processor, which
>> should be very similar to the AT91SAM7x256 processor.  I did
>> experiment with the Olimex SAM7-EX256 board which uses the
>> AT91SAM7x256 processor and was able to flash that chip with eLua.
>>
>> I was able to use CodeSourcery to build eLua 0.8 for the
>> AT91SAM7x256 and am about dig deeper into the documentation
>> I just received an Olimex SAM7-P256 board which uses the
>> AT91SAM7s256 processor.
> Good luck! :)
>
>> Your advice would be appreciated.
> Can you please outline the differences between 7s256 and 7x256?
>
> Thanks,
> Bogdan
MehdiHAFIDI MehdiHAFIDI

Re: Porting eLua to AT91SAM7s

Hi Jonathan,

within your post, I can understand that you have already worked with AT91SAM7X256. and since that today, I am working on this board, please Jonathan can you tell me step by step how did you connect and configure your board. thank you in advance
Jonathan Hill Jonathan Hill

Re: Porting eLua to AT91SAM7s

Hello Mehdi;

Unfortunately, I've had to set that project aside for some time.  The
good news is that I'm planning to get back to it fairly soon.

With regards to the AT91SAM7X256 I previously used an older / now
obsolete version.  I was able to download a prebuilt executable into the
chip, it worked.  I was also able to build a preconfigured system using
the code sourcery package and I think I used the MinGW environment.  I
did all this following the steps outlined in the documentation that I
found on the eLua website.

The thing about SAMBA is that it relies on a client program being
resident in the processor, but in downloading code the corresponding
memory is overwritten.  A copy of the client is in the processor, I
think it's the test jumper that forces the chip to copy over the client
code, allowing SAMBA to again be able to communicate with the processor.

Unfortunately, I ran out of time just as the AT91SAM7S board arrived and
made almost no progress in that regard.

Jonathan