Pattern Generator project help

Patrick-11 Patrick-11

Pattern Generator project help

Thanks Dado and James for the "green light" to post with some financial
content.

I have several ideas that I would like to use eLua for, the most
practical ones all involve scientific instruments or test aids to
service them . The first project I would like to complete is a sort of
poor-man's pattern generator. This would be used a test aid to service
circuit boards used with scientific instruments.

I mostly buy, rebuild and resell scientific instruments but I also
supplement this with circuit board repairs. There are these very
expensive interface cards that I seem to end up working on a lot. I have
managed to fix about 60 of them but they are very difficult for me. I
work without schematics and I have a batch I have been slowly working
through that likely never worked at all as I suspect they are factory
line defects that found there way on to the used market.

If I left a board unpowered, clipped another circuit over the CPU and
toggled the pins it would be an easy way to trace the signals. I already
mostly know where the lines are going but this would also allow for
quick continuity checks with the other part of the circuit by reading
them with a logic analyzer. I might also try to simulate missing chips.

I suck at EDA still and I am not very good at C yet. I need to toggle
about 68 pins. I was hoping that someone could help me design this and I
could pay you. I have Pomona PLCC clips to go over the CPU and I was
hoping to have a circuit that I could then solder to this. If there is a
single microcontroller that could do this I could pay for someone to
port it or if we need a shift register or something like this that's
fine too. I could send over a crude footprint for the PLCC clip. I need
help to generate a Gerber file for this too.

Believe it or not these interface cards were selling for $10 500.00 USD
last year. The manufacturer has discontinued them so that they can force
people to buy a $10K Ethernet card. Eventually I would like to fabricate
replacements for both.

If you can help please contact me offlist, thanks-Patrick