PIC32XX Port

Tim Michals Tim Michals

PIC32XX Port

I'm not using the microchip gcc compiler and using Codesourcery's lite version for MIPS.  So, I've stripped out the .h files from Microchip suite and putting them into platform pic32.  This is similar to how ARM is done, is there any issue in doing so?

For example, platform/pic32
- include
- startup
- Microchip
-peripheral

In the SConstruct file there is a list of tool chains one is codesourcery  would this be an issue if I define the in the platform list 'PIC32Mxx' : { 'cpus' : [ 'PIC32MX460F512L' ], 'toolchains' : [ 'mips-gcc', 'codesourcery', 'devkitarm', 'mips-sde-gcc' ] }
Does the codesourcery index point back up to the define earlier in the file? if so, change mine to code codesourcery-mips?

Re: PIC32XX Port

On Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 5:52 AM, Tim Michals <[hidden email]> wrote:

I'm not using the microchip gcc compiler and using Codesourcery's lite
version for MIPS.  So, I've stripped out the .h files from Microchip suite
and putting them into platform pic32.  This is similar to how ARM is done,
is there any issue in doing so?

Nope, this is what we do for all platforms actually.

For example, platform/pic32
- include
- startup
- Microchip
-peripheral

In the SConstruct file there is a list of tool chains one is codesourcery
would this be an issue if I define the in the platform list 'PIC32Mxx' : {
'cpus' : [ 'PIC32MX460F512L' ], 'toolchains' : [ 'mips-gcc', 'codesourcery',
'devkitarm', 'mips-sde-gcc' ] }
Does the codesourcery index point back up to the define earlier in the file?

Yes, it points to the entry in the "# List of toolchains" list.

if so, change mine to code codesourcery-mips?

Yes, codesourcery-mips will do just fine.

Re: PIC32XX Port

On Sun, Mar 14, 2010 at 9:52 PM, Tim Michals <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm not using the microchip gcc compiler and using Codesourcery's lite
> version for MIPS.  So, I've stripped out the .h files from Microchip suite
> and putting them into platform pic32.  This is similar to how ARM is done,
> is there any issue in doing so?
>
> For example, platform/pic32
> - include
> - startup
> - Microchip
> -peripheral

This sounds fine, so long as the licensing associated with them allows
us to include them.  I assume they contain similar types of useful
bits of information like memory offsets?

> In the SConstruct file there is a list of tool chains one is codesourcery
> would this be an issue if I define the in the platform list 'PIC32Mxx' : {
> 'cpus' : [ 'PIC32MX460F512L' ], 'toolchains' : [ 'mips-gcc', 'codesourcery',
> 'devkitarm', 'mips-sde-gcc' ] }
> Does the codesourcery index point back up to the define earlier in the file?
> if so, change mine to code codesourcery-mips?

That sounds about right.  We should probably also change the name of
"codesourcery" to "codesourcery-arm" or similar, since they produce
toolchains for a number of different architectures.

Looking forward to hearing how this port goes :-)

PGP: http://fanplastic.org/key.txt
Phone: (847) 448-0386