[OT] Things getting pretty hot in the Cortex area :)

[OT] Things getting pretty hot in the Cortex area :)

http://www.atmel.com/products/AT91/sam3landing.asp?family_id=605&source=email

Looks damn interesting, too :)

Tony-12 Tony-12

Re: [OT] Things getting pretty hot in the Cortex area :)

Yes, the High Speed USB 2.0 (in a QFP-100 or QFP-144) is very nice -- the only other MCUs I know of with USB 2.0 HS and a QFP package are the still not here Renesas SH726x.  And support for SRAM and NAND is also very nice.

OTOH, it doesn't look like the ideal MCU for an "eLua Stamp" -- only 52K SRAM, no Ethernet, and no SDRAM support.  So far, the best Cortex-M3 candidate is the Luminary/TI 9Bxx series; dev kits are just now available in the US (no parts yet).

BTW, I took a quick look at the LM3S9B96 data sheet; if you want to use everything, you will have major pin conflicts (some of the pins can have IIRC >7 functions), but at least many of the functions can be assigned to several different pins, which should really help (the data sheet nicely lays out the pins in several different - and very useful - formats).

Finally, NXP has announced the LPC13xx Cortex M3 series, but they won't be running eLua any time soon (8K SRAM).

--Tony