N770 & Maemo Donation

Hello,
   André Carregal (www.keplerproject.org) kindly donated a Nokia N-770 PDA for the eluaproject.
   Mauricio Bomfim and Thiago Naves linked it to a BlueTooth modem, connected it to serial UART and we now have a portable wireless eLua Terminal for any of our supported platforms. (isn't that cool ? :)
   The N-700 is based on Maemo and we're emulating a Terminal using minicom.
   Does anybody here have suggestions on other possible terminal emulators for maemo (@N770) ?
   We've tried to install screen with no success.

Thanks

Matt Wilbur Matt Wilbur

Re: N770 & Maemo Donation

Hello list,

On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 08:48, Matt Wilbur <[hidden email]> wrote:
Dado,

I have an old N800 I wouldn't mind repurposing.  Are you posting the results of your work?

   First of all, my apologies for the absence. I hope to explain some more facts soon.
   The results of our (actually very simple) demo of eLua being used through a wireless terminal on the ESC BR 2011 were spectacular.
   I had the N770 in my skirt pocket and could show eLua running and being programmed on a "remote" platform. Although it was awkward (at least for me) to type long code on the tiny screen and kbd, I could easily turn LEDs on and off and enter simple pwm control loops too, as well as running other demos from our ROM File System.
   Thanks again to André Carregal for the donnation, just in time for the ESC event.
    Ives Nascimento and Thiago Naves built the aux box with the BlueTooth modem and a voltage regulator to power the boards (it actually works with any of our boards that have pure UART or RS-232 serial ports).

   Instructions for your N800 would be very easy too. All you need is to run any Terminal Emulator program. We were not able to install screen in time and we used Minicom. But I'm sure there are other good options too.
   The very first (and only) and very bad video we shot when it first worked can be downloaded here http://hotfile.com/dl/117941204/770d8bc/1305238662.mov.zip.html?lang=en
   I'll be glad to help with a page entry in our Wiki if you want to start one too.

On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 1:58 PM, Dado Sutter <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello list,
>
> On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 08:48, Matt Wilbur <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Dado,
>> I have an old N800 I wouldn't mind repurposing.  Are you posting the
>> results of your work?
>

>    First of all, my apologies for the absence. I hope to explain some more
> facts soon.
>    The results of our (actually very simple) demo of eLua being used through
> a wireless terminal on the ESC BR 2011 were spectacular.
>    I had the N770 in my skirt pocket and could show eLua running and being
> programmed on a "remote" platform. Although it was awkward (at least for me)
> to type long code on the tiny screen and kbd, I could easily turn LEDs on
> and off and enter simple pwm control loops too, as well as running other
> demos from our ROM File System.
>    Thanks again to André Carregal for the donnation, just in time for the
> ESC event.
>     Ives Nascimento and Thiago Naves built the aux box with the BlueTooth
> modem and a voltage regulator to power the boards (it actually works with
> any of our boards that have pure UART or RS-232 serial ports).
>
>    Instructions for your N800 would be very easy too. All you need is to run
> any Terminal Emulator program. We were not able to install screen in time
> and we used Minicom. But I'm sure there are other good options too.
>    The very first (and only) and very bad video we shot when it first worked
> can be downloaded here
> http://hotfile.com/dl/117941204/770d8bc/1305238662.mov.zip.html?lang=en
>    I'll be glad to help with a page entry in our Wiki if you want to start
> one too.

I've done a similar setup running from a Mac running screen w/ an SPP
bluetooth module, which I believe was just an RN-41
(http://www.rovingnetworks.com/documents/RN-41.pdf).  You can get eval
boards with them attached with convenient header pins, but I just
soldered wires to it to make my own connector.  Essentially if the
chip you have as an SPP like this one and an AT command set you get a
device for it, configure the baud with the AT commands, and then treat
it like a normal serial port.  If I recall the configuration might
even stick in non-volatile RAM?

RN-42 looks to be a bit cheaper with the main difference apparently
being that it's class 2, and therefore lower power.

I can chime in with the info on setting up that chip if anyone's
interested and I get a few moments.

SparkFun also has a board built around the 41 & 42 (digikey carries
the bare component too):
http://www.sparkfun.com/products/9358
http://www.sparkfun.com/products/10269

The one downside with bluetooth modules, and sometimes there are
configuration options related to this is that latency will be often a
little higher than a hard-wired port, and as I recall they will try to
do something like a Nagle's algorithm to bundle together chunks of
serial data (the RN-41/42 have an option to optimize for latency or
throughput, available through the AT command set).

-jsnyder

> Best
> Dado
>

>> Matt
>>
>> On Sat, May 14, 2011 at 8:08 PM, Dado Sutter <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello,
>>>    André Carregal (www.keplerproject.org) kindly donated a Nokia N-770
>>> PDA for the eluaproject.
>>>    Mauricio Bomfim and Thiago Naves linked it to a BlueTooth modem,
>>> connected it to serial UART and we now have a portable wireless eLua
>>> Terminal for any of our supported platforms. (isn't that cool ? :)
>>>    The N-700 is based on Maemo and we're emulating a Terminal using
>>> minicom.
>>>    Does anybody here have suggestions on other possible terminal
>>> emulators for maemo (@N770) ?
>>>    We've tried to install screen with no success.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> Dado

Re: N770 & Maemo Donation

On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 16:37, James Snyder <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 1:58 PM, Dado Sutter <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 08:48, Matt Wilbur <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Dado,
>> I have an old N800 I wouldn't mind repurposing.  Are you posting the
>> results of your work?
>

>    First of all, my apologies for the absence. I hope to explain some more
> facts soon.
>    The results of our (actually very simple) demo of eLua being used through
> a wireless terminal on the ESC BR 2011 were spectacular.
>    I had the N770 in my skirt pocket and could show eLua running and being
> programmed on a "remote" platform. Although it was awkward (at least for me)
> to type long code on the tiny screen and kbd, I could easily turn LEDs on
> and off and enter simple pwm control loops too, as well as running other
> demos from our ROM File System.
>    Thanks again to André Carregal for the donnation, just in time for the
> ESC event.
>     Ives Nascimento and Thiago Naves built the aux box with the BlueTooth
> modem and a voltage regulator to power the boards (it actually works with
> any of our boards that have pure UART or RS-232 serial ports).
>
>    Instructions for your N800 would be very easy too. All you need is to run
> any Terminal Emulator program. We were not able to install screen in time
> and we used Minicom. But I'm sure there are other good options too.
>    The very first (and only) and very bad video we shot when it first worked
> can be downloaded here
> http://hotfile.com/dl/117941204/770d8bc/1305238662.mov.zip.html?lang=en
>    I'll be glad to help with a page entry in our Wiki if you want to start
> one too.

I've done a similar setup running from a Mac running screen w/ an SPP
bluetooth module, which I believe was just an RN-41
(http://www.rovingnetworks.com/documents/RN-41.pdf).  You can get eval
boards with them attached with convenient header pins, but I just
soldered wires to it to make my own connector.  Essentially if the
chip you have as an SPP like this one and an AT command set you get a
device for it, configure the baud with the AT commands, and then treat
it like a normal serial port.  If I recall the configuration might
even stick in non-volatile RAM?

Yes it does.

RN-42 looks to be a bit cheaper with the main difference apparently
being that it's class 2, and therefore lower power.

I can chime in with the info on setting up that chip if anyone's
interested and I get a few moments.

This would be nice and Thiago could also add the initialization instructions for the BT modem we've used. In case you find time for this, please do it directly on the Wiki.

SparkFun also has a board built around the 41 & 42 (digikey carries
the bare component too):
http://www.sparkfun.com/products/9358
http://www.sparkfun.com/products/10269

The one downside with bluetooth modules, and sometimes there are
configuration options related to this is that latency will be often a
little higher than a hard-wired port, and as I recall they will try to
do something like a Nagle's algorithm to bundle together chunks of
serial data (the RN-41/42 have an option to optimize for latency or
throughput, available through the AT command set).

I haven't done extensive tests or deep uses, specially because the little on-screen keyboard of the N770 doesn't help too much. But for all our demos, including life.lua running at ~50MHz on a K60 Kinetis Cortex M4 (yes ! some good news soon ! :) which is pretty "terminal-intensive", it was good enough.

-jsnyder

> Best
> Dado
>

>> Matt
>>
>> On Sat, May 14, 2011 at 8:08 PM, Dado Sutter <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello,
>>>    André Carregal (www.keplerproject.org) kindly donated a Nokia N-770
>>> PDA for the eluaproject.
>>>    Mauricio Bomfim and Thiago Naves linked it to a BlueTooth modem,
>>> connected it to serial UART and we now have a portable wireless eLua
>>> Terminal for any of our supported platforms. (isn't that cool ? :)
>>>    The N-700 is based on Maemo and we're emulating a Terminal using
>>> minicom.
>>>    Does anybody here have suggestions on other possible terminal
>>> emulators for maemo (@N770) ?
>>>    We've tried to install screen with no success.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> Dado

Re: N770 & Maemo Donation

On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 2:59 PM, Dado Sutter <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 16:37, James Snyder <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 1:58 PM, Dado Sutter <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> >    First of all, my apologies for the absence. I hope to explain some
>> > more
>> > facts soon.
>> >    The results of our (actually very simple) demo of eLua being used
>> > through
>> > a wireless terminal on the ESC BR 2011 were spectacular.
>> >    I had the N770 in my skirt pocket and could show eLua running and
>> > being
>> > programmed on a "remote" platform. Although it was awkward (at least for
>> > me)
>> > to type long code on the tiny screen and kbd, I could easily turn LEDs
>> > on
>> > and off and enter simple pwm control loops too, as well as running other
>> > demos from our ROM File System.
>> >    Thanks again to André Carregal for the donnation, just in time for
>> > the
>> > ESC event.
>> >     Ives Nascimento and Thiago Naves built the aux box with the
>> > BlueTooth
>> > modem and a voltage regulator to power the boards (it actually works
>> > with
>> > any of our boards that have pure UART or RS-232 serial ports).
>> >
>> >    Instructions for your N800 would be very easy too. All you need is to
>> > run
>> > any Terminal Emulator program. We were not able to install screen in
>> > time
>> > and we used Minicom. But I'm sure there are other good options too.
>> >    The very first (and only) and very bad video we shot when it first
>> > worked
>> > can be downloaded here
>> > http://hotfile.com/dl/117941204/770d8bc/1305238662.mov.zip.html?lang=en
>> >    I'll be glad to help with a page entry in our Wiki if you want to
>> > start
>> > one too.
>>
>> I've done a similar setup running from a Mac running screen w/ an SPP
>> bluetooth module, which I believe was just an RN-41
>> (http://www.rovingnetworks.com/documents/RN-41.pdf).  You can get eval
>> boards with them attached with convenient header pins, but I just
>> soldered wires to it to make my own connector.  Essentially if the
>> chip you have as an SPP like this one and an AT command set you get a
>> device for it, configure the baud with the AT commands, and then treat
>> it like a normal serial port.  If I recall the configuration might
>> even stick in non-volatile RAM?
>
> Yes it does.
>>
>> RN-42 looks to be a bit cheaper with the main difference apparently
>> being that it's class 2, and therefore lower power.
>>
>> I can chime in with the info on setting up that chip if anyone's
>> interested and I get a few moments.
>
> This would be nice and Thiago could also add the initialization instructions
> for the BT modem we've used. In case you find time for this, please do it
> directly on the Wiki.

Judging from the appearance, I think that might be an RN-41 or similar
in the video, so I think we may be using the same chipset/module.

I'll try setting mine up again this week with an STM32 and can cobble
together what I can't recall off the top of my head.

>> SparkFun also has a board built around the 41 & 42 (digikey carries
>> the bare component too):
>> http://www.sparkfun.com/products/9358
>> http://www.sparkfun.com/products/10269
>>
>> The one downside with bluetooth modules, and sometimes there are
>> configuration options related to this is that latency will be often a
>> little higher than a hard-wired port, and as I recall they will try to
>> do something like a Nagle's algorithm to bundle together chunks of
>> serial data (the RN-41/42 have an option to optimize for latency or
>> throughput, available through the AT command set).
>
> I haven't done extensive tests or deep uses, specially because the little
> on-screen keyboard of the N770 doesn't help too much. But for all our demos,
> including life.lua running at ~50MHz on a K60 Kinetis Cortex M4 (yes ! some
> good news soon ! :) which is pretty "terminal-intensive", it was good
> enough.

It's definitely not noticeable for typing away at the terminal, but it
does become apparent when flashing or using things that would saturate
the serial link.  That said, it's definitely "good enough" to be
usable for a wide range of circumstances.

>> -jsnyder
>
> Best
> Dado
>

>> > Best
>> > Dado

Re: N770 & Maemo Donation

On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 17:17, James Snyder <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]
>> it like a normal serial port.  If I recall the configuration might
>> even stick in non-volatile RAM?
>
> Yes it does.
>>
>> RN-42 looks to be a bit cheaper with the main difference apparently
>> being that it's class 2, and therefore lower power.
>>
>> I can chime in with the info on setting up that chip if anyone's
>> interested and I get a few moments.
>
> This would be nice and Thiago could also add the initialization instructions
> for the BT modem we've used. In case you find time for this, please do it
> directly on the Wiki.

Judging from the appearance, I think that might be an RN-41 or similar
in the video, so I think we may be using the same chipset/module.

I'll try setting mine up again this week with an STM32 and can cobble
together what I can't recall off the top of my head.

>> SparkFun also has a board built around the 41 & 42 (digikey carries

I always forget to check this on the Lab but I'm pretty sure this (above) is the one we have.
Thiago ?

>> http://www.sparkfun.com/products/10269
>>
>> The one downside with bluetooth modules, and sometimes there are
>> configuration options related to this is that latency will be often a
>> little higher than a hard-wired port, and as I recall they will try to
>> do something like a Nagle's algorithm to bundle together chunks of
>> serial data (the RN-41/42 have an option to optimize for latency or
>> throughput, available through the AT command set).
>
> I haven't done extensive tests or deep uses, specially because the little
> on-screen keyboard of the N770 doesn't help too much. But for all our demos,
> including life.lua running at ~50MHz on a K60 Kinetis Cortex M4 (yes ! some
> good news soon ! :) which is pretty "terminal-intensive", it was good
> enough.

It's definitely not noticeable for typing away at the terminal, but it
does become apparent when flashing or using things that would saturate
the serial link.

Like the Life game output ? :)

 That said, it's definitely "good enough" to be
usable for a wide range of circumstances.

Yep.

>> -jsnyder

> Best
> Dado

>> > Best
>> > Dado

Thiago Naves Thiago Naves

Re: N770 & Maemo Donation

On Wed, Jun 8, 2011 at 10:32 PM, Dado Sutter <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>> being that it's class 2, and therefore lower power.
>>
>> I can chime in with the info on setting up that chip if anyone's
>> interested and I get a few moments.
>
> This would be nice and Thiago could also add the initialization instructions
> for the BT modem we've used. In case you find time for this, please do it
> directly on the Wiki.

Judging from the appearance, I think that might be an RN-41 or similar
in the video, so I think we may be using the same chipset/module.

I'll try setting mine up again this week with an STM32 and can cobble
together what I can't recall off the top of my head.

>> SparkFun also has a board built around the 41 & 42 (digikey carries
>> the bare component too):
>> http://www.sparkfun.com/products/9358

I always forget to check this on the Lab but I'm pretty sure this (above) is the one we have.

Yes, thats the one.

>> http://www.sparkfun.com/products/10269
>>
>> The one downside with bluetooth modules, and sometimes there are
>> configuration options related to this is that latency will be often a
>> little higher than a hard-wired port, and as I recall they will try to
>> do something like a Nagle's algorithm to bundle together chunks of
>> serial data (the RN-41/42 have an option to optimize for latency or
>> throughput, available through the AT command set).
>
> I haven't done extensive tests or deep uses, specially because the little
> on-screen keyboard of the N770 doesn't help too much. But for all our demos,
> including life.lua running at ~50MHz on a K60 Kinetis Cortex M4 (yes ! some
> good news soon ! :) which is pretty "terminal-intensive", it was good
> enough.

It's definitely not noticeable for typing away at the terminal, but it
does become apparent when flashing or using things that would saturate
the serial link.

Like the Life game output ? :)

 That said, it's definitely "good enough" to be
usable for a wide range of circumstances.

Yep.

Acordding to the datasheet, that BT module transmits in these speeds:
Sustained SPP data rates - 240Kbps (slave), 300Kbps (master)
HCI data rates - 1.5Mbps sustained, 3.0Mbps burst in HCI mode

So, either way, much faster than the UART's 115200 baud. I think we can assume that the UART is the slowest part of the chain.

>> -jsnyder

> Best
> Dado

>> > Best
>> > Dado

Re: N770 & Maemo Donation

On Wed, Jun 8, 2011 at 8:32 PM, Dado Sutter <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 17:17, James Snyder <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 2:59 PM, Dado Sutter <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> > Yes it does.

>> > This would be nice and Thiago could also add the initialization
>> > instructions
>> > for the BT modem we've used. In case you find time for this, please do
>> > it
>> > directly on the Wiki.
>>
>> Judging from the appearance, I think that might be an RN-41 or similar
>> in the video, so I think we may be using the same chipset/module.
>>
>> I'll try setting mine up again this week with an STM32 and can cobble
>> together what I can't recall off the top of my head.

> I always forget to check this on the Lab but I'm pretty sure this (above) is
> the one we have.
> Thiago ?

>> > I haven't done extensive tests or deep uses, specially because the
>> > little
>> > on-screen keyboard of the N770 doesn't help too much. But for all our
>> > demos,
>> > including life.lua running at ~50MHz on a K60 Kinetis Cortex M4 (yes !
>> > some
>> > good news soon ! :) which is pretty "terminal-intensive", it was good
>> > enough.
>>
>> It's definitely not noticeable for typing away at the terminal, but it
>> does become apparent when flashing or using things that would saturate
>> the serial link.
>
> Like the Life game output ? :)

Nah, that doesn't really saturate the link speed I don't think, but
that's also somewhat beside the issue.

This isn't a throughput issue it's more a latency thing that gets
noticeable when you have communications that involve lots of small
back-and-forth transactions.  Since things like Life are just
uni-directional dumping commands to the console, it wouldn't be
noticeable even if it were saturating the link.  Flashing an STM32
using the serial bootloader, however, takes a fair bit longer.