Multiplexing Physical Serial Ports

pfs35@hotmail.com pfs35@hotmail.com

Multiplexing Physical Serial Ports

Hello,
I'm trying to multiplex multiple physical serial ports into one serial link (which I'm planning on forwarding using an XBee). I've read about eLua's ability to multiplex "virtual" serial ports, but I'm wondering if it could do something similar using physical ports.

I'm thinking of using the Futurlec ET-STM32 card.

Is what I'm trying to do technically possible using eLua?

Thanks,
Philippe

Re: Multiplexing Physical Serial Ports

On Wed, Nov 9, 2011 at 9:29 AM, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello,
> I'm trying to multiplex multiple physical serial ports into one serial link
> (which I'm planning on forwarding using an XBee). I've read about eLua's
> ability to multiplex "virtual" serial ports, but I'm wondering if it could
> do something similar using physical ports.

I'm not sure if I understand what you mean here.  Are you intending to
pipe multiple physical serial streams into physical serial ports and
then have these come out another single multiplexed single serial
port?  The virtual serial ports allow one to have multiple ids that
one can refer to serial ports by within eLua and instead of having
those come out at multiple physical ports they come out on a single
port, with a lightweight encoding to multiplex the signals.

Depending on what you're interested in it may be fairly easy to
accomplish what you're requesting.  I suspect that if what you're
wanting to do is have multiple physical serial signals come in and get
sent out on a single multiplexed output likely using the uart
interrupts would work well or at least a loop that would monitor for
buffered data on various uarts and then write out streams for each to
corresponding "virtual" serial ports that would multiplex down to a
single stream.

> I'm thinking of using the Futurlec ET-STM32 card.
>
> Is what I'm trying to do technically possible using eLua?
>
> Thanks,
> Philippe

RE: Multiplexing Physical Serial Ports

Thanks for your reply. Sorry if I hadn’t made myself clear; English is not my mother tongue… What you describe still seems to fit the bill though…

What first made me interested (only hours ago in fact) in eLua was its serial multiplexing capabilities (http://www.eluaproject.net/doc/v0.8/en_sermux.html), which I hoped I might be able to use writing little to no code and implement very quickly, almost out of the box. However, I’m not sure if it would allow me to multiplex inputs from physical ports on the board, or only the RFS and the CON ports. In fact, what makes me the most confused is knowing whether a “virtual” uart connection can actually be pointing to a physical port… From what you’ve written (“The virtual serial ports allow one to have multiple ids that one can refer to serial ports by within eLua”), I’m getting that is the case, but I just want to make sure…

The solution you describe seems to me like a completely new script, which I have a feeling I could just as well write for basic microcontrollers/development boards (such as the Arduino or the MSP430) with just as much effort…

Am I missing something?

On Wed, Nov 9, 2011 at 9:29 AM, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello,
> I'm trying to multiplex multiple physical serial ports into one serial link
> (which I'm planning on forwarding using an XBee). I've read about eLua's
> ability to multiplex "virtual" serial ports, but I'm wondering if it could
> do something similar using physical ports.

I'm not sure if I understand what you mean here.  Are you intending to
pipe multiple physical serial streams into physical serial ports and
then have these come out another single multiplexed single serial
port?  The virtual serial ports allow one to have multiple ids that
one can refer to serial ports by within eLua and instead of having
those come out at multiple physical ports they come out on a single
port, with a lightweight encoding to multiplex the signals.

Depending on what you're interested in it may be fairly easy to
accomplish what you're requesting.  I suspect that if what you're
wanting to do is have multiple physical serial signals come in and get
sent out on a single multiplexed output likely using the uart
interrupts would work well or at least a loop that would monitor for
buffered data on various uarts and then write out streams for each to
corresponding "virtual" serial ports that would multiplex down to a
single stream.

> I'm thinking of using the Futurlec ET-STM32 card.
>
> Is what I'm trying to do technically possible using eLua?
>
> Thanks,
> Philippe
>
> --

http://elua-development.2368040.n2.nabble.com/Multiplexing-Physical-Serial-Ports-tp6978309p6980392.html

To unsubscribe from Multiplexing Physical Serial Ports, click here.
See how NAML generates this email