LM3S8962 Timer Input Capture Mode

jrambo316 jrambo316

LM3S8962 Timer Input Capture Mode

Hello,

I am wanting to use the timer input capture mode on the LM3S8962.  That mode is implemented on timer 0 and available as CCP0 pin on timer A and CCP1 on timer B.  This assumes 16 bit mode where timer 0 split into 2 16 bit timers.  The standard timer module only appears to support the 32 bit modes.  Am I correct in that?

I am assuming that I will need to code a platform specific module which I would call something like "lm3s.tmr16".

Please confirm.  Are there other platforms that provide timer input capture pins in the same way?  Has this ever been discussed for adding to the standard tmr module?

Thanks,
Jim
Mauricio Henrique Bomfim Mauricio Henrique Bomfim

Re: LM3S8962 Timer Input Capture Mode

On Fri, Mar 23, 2012 at 3:04 PM, jrambo316 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am wanting to use the timer input capture mode on the LM3S8962.  That mode
> is implemented on timer 0 and available as CCP0 pin on timer A and CCP1 on
> timer B.  This assumes 16 bit mode where timer 0 split into 2 16 bit timers.
> The standard timer module only appears to support the 32 bit modes.  Am I
> correct in that?
>
> I am assuming that I will need to code a platform specific module which I
> would call something like "lm3s.tmr16".
>
> Please confirm.  Are there other platforms that provide timer input capture
> pins in the same way?  Has this ever been discussed for adding to the
> standard tmr module?

Bogdan has implemented a very customized timer capture module for
str9. We use it at PUC-Rio to implement a pulse counter from a truck
odometer. Below, follows how we use its API:

-- setup the timer id for timer capture
str9.cap.setup( TIMER_ID, str9.cap.NEGEDGE )

-- just for compatibility with eLua interruption API
cpu.set_int_handler( cpu.INT_TMR_CAPTURE, function() end )

-- enable the timer capture interruption
cpu.sei( cpu.INT_TMR_CAPTURE, TIMER_ID )

-- gets the current counting and restart the counter to zero
str9.cap.getcount( TIMER_ID )

I hope it helps.

[]s

Mauricio

> Thanks,
> Jim

jrambo316 jrambo316

Re: LM3S8962 Timer Input Capture Mode

Mauricio Henrique Bomfim wrote
Bogdan has implemented a very customized timer capture module for
str9. We use it at PUC-Rio to implement a pulse counter from a truck
odometer. Below, follows how we use its API:

-- setup the timer id for timer capture
str9.cap.setup( TIMER_ID, str9.cap.NEGEDGE )

-- just for compatibility with eLua interruption API
cpu.set_int_handler( cpu.INT_TMR_CAPTURE, function() end )

-- enable the timer capture interruption
cpu.sei( cpu.INT_TMR_CAPTURE, TIMER_ID )

-- gets the current counting and restart the counter to zero
str9.cap.getcount( TIMER_ID )

I hope it helps.

[]s

Mauricio

> Thanks,
> Jim
>
> --

Perfect!  Do you have a link where I can look more closely at that implementation on github?  That is the same purpose that I need the timer capture.

Thanks,
Jim

On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 7:15 PM, jrambo316 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Mauricio Henrique Bomfim wrote
>>
>> Bogdan has implemented a very customized timer capture module for
>> str9. We use it at PUC-Rio to implement a pulse counter from a truck
>> odometer. Below, follows how we use its API:
>>
>> -- setup the timer id for timer capture
>> str9.cap.setup( TIMER_ID, str9.cap.NEGEDGE )
>>
>> -- just for compatibility with eLua interruption API
>> cpu.set_int_handler( cpu.INT_TMR_CAPTURE, function() end )
>>
>> -- enable the timer capture interruption
>> cpu.sei( cpu.INT_TMR_CAPTURE, TIMER_ID )
>>
>> -- gets the current counting and restart the counter to zero
>> str9.cap.getcount( TIMER_ID )
>>
>> I hope it helps.
>>
>> []s
>>
>> Mauricio
>>

>>> Thanks,
>>> Jim
>>>
>>> --
>>

> Perfect!  Do you have a link where I can look more closely at that
> implementation on github?  That is the same purpose that I need the timer
> capture.

It isn't on github because the customer business logic isn't open
source. But we can share everything that isn't customer business
logic.

All files that implements the timer capture for str9 (which stay at
src/platform/str9 directory) are available here
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1413610/elua_cap.zip .

Notice that it was added at april 2011 and it is not merged with
current eLua master branch.

Tell us if it helps you.

[]s

Mauricio