Is there a debug mode?

Bittencourt Bittencourt

Is there a debug mode?

Salutations,

Is there any mechanism to debug Lua programs running on the target board?
(by "debug" I mean breakpoints, single stepping and memory watch)

Thx,
--Pedro Bittencourt

Re: Is there a debug mode?

I suspect it wouldn't be too hard to make something like that work
with the RPC code. There's nothing that does what you're suggesting
"out of the box" though.  It would be neat to be able to

I think it might be good to discuss the mode of operation for
something like that.  Perhaps something like this could serve as a
reference point for a model?
http://www.keplerproject.org/remdebug/

I haven't looked at the implementation, but the external requirements
suggest that it wouldn't be something that could just be dropped in.

-jsnyder

On Sep 13, 2009, at 3:53 AM, Bogdan Marinescu wrote:

> Not yet I'm afraid. It's one of the things I intend to take care of
> right after releasing 0.6. It might be easy to accomplish something
> like this using the RPC mechanism implemented by James, but I didn't
> try this.
>
> Best,
> Bogdan
>
> On Sun, Sep 13, 2009 at 1:09 AM, Pedro Bittencourt <[hidden email]
> > wrote:
> Salutations,
>
> Is there any mechanism to debug Lua programs running on the target
> board?
> (by "debug" I mean breakpoints, single stepping and memory watch)
>
> Thx,
> --Pedro Bittencourt

http://fanplastic.org/key.txt
ph: 847.448.0386

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment
Bittencourt Bittencourt

Re: Is there a debug mode?

Yeah, what I was thinking of was taking some of the principles that
they use there and making something that would be compatible with the
debug model they use.

The other thing of note is that many of these debug systems are
written in pure Lua, so it may or may not work to strip them down vs
doing a C-API implementation of something similar.

As far as basic functionality, since the LuaRPC code will happily
serialize a number of different Lua types and ship them over any type
of interface that can read and write bytes, that machinery should be
very useful for any type of remote debugger that needs to interact
with the remote Lua universe.  Also, because of the way it works, the
calls made on the server end of the RPC are protected so that whether
it fails or returns values, we can serialize that back to the calling
client.

-jsnyder