Help with a Port (free hardware on offer)

Iain@HotSolder Iain@HotSolder

Help with a Port (free hardware on offer)

Hello,

I have been watching eLUA website for about a year watching it grow, at the same time I have developed a small Arduino shaped platform based on a LM39D92 from TI/Luminary. (http://www.solderCore.com). Website is completely out of date, so not all the statement are still relevant.
The board has been designed to support a BASIC interpreter from Rowley Associates which has some similar characteristics to eLUA. I would also like to this board to support eLUA, preferably when we launch July/August.

I was going to try and port over eLUA myself, as I kind of enjoy that type of stuff, however, it would take me while as no matter how hard I try, I'm essentially a hardware guy. I don't think the port would be that difficult as the LM3S9D92 is very similar to the LM3S9B92, it has twice as much Flash, and I believe the peripheral set is pretty much identical.

I have a board or two that I don't mind giving away to anybody who could port this code. If anyone is interested please let me know and I can send over more information.

Thanks

Iain

Re: Help with a Port (free hardware on offer)

Hi,

On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 11:04 AM, Iain@HotSolder <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,

I have been watching eLUA

eLua :)

website for about a year watching it grow, at the
same time I have developed a small Arduino shaped platform based on a
LM39D92 from TI/Luminary. ( http://www.solderCore.com
http://www.solderCore.com ). Website is completely out of date, so not all
the statement are still relevant.
The board has been designed to support a BASIC interpreter from Rowley
Associates which has some similar characteristics to eLUA. I would also like
to this board to support eLUA, preferably when we launch July/August.

I was going to try and port over eLUA myself, as I kind of enjoy that type
of stuff, however, it would take me while as no matter how hard I try, I'm
essentially a hardware guy. I don't think the port would be that difficult
as the LM3S9D92

Is this chip in pre-production with private specs or something similar? I couldn't find anything related to 9D92 on ti.com or luminarymicro.com, thus it's a bit hard to estimate the porting effort :)

is very similar to the LM3S9B92, it has twice as much Flash,
and I believe the peripheral set is pretty much identical.

Then the port should be extremely straightforward.

I have a board or two that I don't mind giving away to anybody who could
port this code. If anyone is interested please let me know and I can send
over more information.

I'll hold off on this until I find out more about that chip :) Although I don't really expect surprises, it's highly unlikely that the overall core changed too much.

On 15/06/2011 10:06 AM, BogdanM [via eLua Development] wrote:
Hi,

On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 11:04 AM, Iain@HotSolder <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,

I have been watching eLUA

eLua :)

Noted.

[...]

It might well be.

is very similar to the LM3S9B92, it has twice as much Flash,
and I believe the peripheral set is pretty much identical.

Then the port should be extremely straightforward.

I have a board or two that I don't mind giving away to anybody who could
port this code. If anyone is interested please let me know and I can send
over more information.

I'll hold off on this until I find out more about that chip :) Although I don't really expect surprises, it's highly unlikely that the overall core changed too much.

I will find out the official word from TI, and see if I can send you a data sheet.

Kind Regards

Iain

http://elua-development.2368040.n2.nabble.com/Help-with-a-Port-free-hardware-on-offer-tp6477750p6477944.html
To unsubscribe from Help with a Port (free hardware on offer), click here.

Re: Help with a Port (free hardware on offer)

On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 5:19 AM, Iain@HotSolder
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 15/06/2011 10:06 AM, BogdanM [via eLua Development] wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 11:04 AM, Iain@HotSolder <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have been watching eLUA
>
> eLua :)
>

> Noted.
>
>> website for about a year watching it grow, at the
>> same time I have developed a small Arduino shaped platform based on a
>> LM39D92 from TI/Luminary. ( http://www.solderCore.com
>> http://www.solderCore.com ). Website is completely out of date, so not all
>> the statement are still relevant.
>> The board has been designed to support a BASIC interpreter from Rowley
>> Associates which has some similar characteristics to eLUA. I would also
>> like
>> to this board to support eLUA, preferably when we launch July/August.
>>
>> I was going to try and port over eLUA myself, as I kind of enjoy that type
>> of stuff, however, it would take me while as no matter how hard I try, I'm
>> essentially a hardware guy. I don't think the port would be that difficult
>> as the LM3S9D92
>
> Is this chip in pre-production with private specs or something similar? I
> couldn't find anything related to 9D92 on ti.com or luminarymicro.com, thus
> it's a bit hard to estimate the porting effort :)
>
> It might well be.
>

>> is very similar to the LM3S9B92, it has twice as much Flash,
>> and I believe the peripheral set is pretty much identical.
>
> Then the port should be extremely straightforward.

Yep. My guess is that you may have to update the driver lib to include
support for this part (assuming that it's in the current driver lib
even though the part isn't mentioned on the site), and then updating
memory configuration and pin configurations.

We use the Luminary/TI peripheral library for pretty much everything
on that platform, so there should be a great deal that needs changing
otherwise.

>> I have a board or two that I don't mind giving away to anybody who could
>> port this code. If anyone is interested please let me know and I can send
>> over more information.
>
> I'll hold off on this until I find out more about that chip :) Although I
> don't really expect surprises, it's highly unlikely that the overall core
> changed too much.
>
> I will find out the official word from TI, and see if I can send you a data
> sheet.

I'd be interested in hearing about what's new in this chip as well.

That looks like a neat little board you have there, although I'm
wondering if more of the I/O is available than what's immediately
obvious from the image?  It looks like there are some header pins on
there, but it looks like that's just a Cortex JTAG connector (as
mentioned in the specs alongside the image).

-jsnyder

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 15/06/2011 10:06 AM, BogdanM [via eLua Development] wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 11:04 AM, Iain@HotSolder <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have been watching eLUA
>
> eLua :)
>

> Noted.
>
>> website for about a year watching it grow, at the
>> same time I have developed a small Arduino shaped platform based on a
>> LM39D92 from TI/Luminary. ( http://www.solderCore.com
>> http://www.solderCore.com ). Website is completely out of date, so not all
>> the statement are still relevant.
>> The board has been designed to support a BASIC interpreter from Rowley
>> Associates which has some similar characteristics to eLUA. I would also
>> like
>> to this board to support eLUA, preferably when we launch July/August.
>>
>> I was going to try and port over eLUA myself, as I kind of enjoy that type
>> of stuff, however, it would take me while as no matter how hard I try, I'm
>> essentially a hardware guy. I don't think the port would be that difficult
>> as the LM3S9D92
>
> Is this chip in pre-production with private specs or something similar? I
> couldn't find anything related to 9D92 on ti.com or luminarymicro.com, thus
> it's a bit hard to estimate the porting effort :)
>
> It might well be.
>

>> is very similar to the LM3S9B92, it has twice as much Flash,
>> and I believe the peripheral set is pretty much identical.
>
> Then the port should be extremely straightforward.

Yep. My guess is that you may have to update the driver lib to include
support for this part (assuming that it's in the current driver lib
even though the part isn't mentioned on the site), and then updating
memory configuration and pin configurations.

We use the Luminary/TI peripheral library for pretty much everything
on that platform, so there should be a great deal that needs changing
otherwise.

>> I have a board or two that I don't mind giving away to anybody who could
>> port this code. If anyone is interested please let me know and I can send
>> over more information.
>
> I'll hold off on this until I find out more about that chip :) Although I
> don't really expect surprises, it's highly unlikely that the overall core
> changed too much.
>
> I will find out the official word from TI, and see if I can send you a data
> sheet.

I'd be interested in hearing about what's new in this chip as well.

That looks like a neat little board you have there, although I'm
wondering if more of the I/O is available than what's immediately
obvious from the image?  It looks like there are some header pins on
there, but it looks like that's just a Cortex JTAG connector (as
mentioned in the specs alongside the image).

This is all I could get from Texas Instruments:

Dado, Marcelo,

The 9D92 is a 512K version of our 9B92, which more information is available here:

http://focus.ti.com/docs/prod/folders/print/lm3s9b92.html

The 9D92 will be released at the end of July.

I hope this helps.

Take care,

Ron

-jsnyder