Getting Started

kyasi kyasi

Getting Started

Hi

I am having a difficult time getting started.
I would like to evaluate eLua, and have tried installing the pre built
images on
various platforms.  EVK1100, EVK1101, AT91SSAM7X_EK.
In all cases i get the start up prompt on the uart port at 115200 but
all i get back
is 0xFF or the ( special y character ) on any input.
I found reference to this being potentially caused by SER_MUX being
enabled.

At this time i do not have the tool chain installed. I wanted to just
evaluate the pre built images to see the potential of eLua.

I went to the web builder and tried to build an image with BUILD_SERMUX
not selected, thinking this might eliminate the serial mux problem, but
when i load that image i get the same exact results.

I must be doing something basically wrong.

Any suggestions or can someone tell me how i can get a pre built image
that will just work with a simple terminal emulator program.

I would also like to find a prebuilt image of eLuawebserver for the
EVK1100 if that is available. I only see a link to a complete source
repository. But i do not have the toolchain available to build any of
these images or even the mux.exe that might be needed if i have to work
with sermux enabled.

I tried reading all i could find, but now i am stuck.

any suggestions or links would be appreciated.

Thanks

Ken

Re: Getting Started

On Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 12:37 PM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I am having a difficult time getting started.
> I would like to evaluate eLua, and have tried installing the pre built
> images on
> various platforms.  EVK1100, EVK1101, AT91SSAM7X_EK.
> In all cases i get the start up prompt on the uart port at 115200 but
> all i get back
> is 0xFF or the ( special y character ) on any input.
> I found reference to this being potentially caused by SER_MUX being
> enabled.

This is likely correct, it looks like SER_MUX defaults to being
enabled for those targets.

> At this time i do not have the tool chain installed. I wanted to just
> evaluate the pre built images to see the potential of eLua.
>
> I went to the web builder and tried to build an image with BUILD_SERMUX
> not selected, thinking this might eliminate the serial mux problem, but
> when i load that image i get the same exact results.
>
> I must be doing something basically wrong.

It looks like there's a bug for AVR32 where even if that option is
deselected it's still enabling something of that functionality.  I'll
file a bug report for this, it may have something to do with the
alternate location for where platform configuration data is stored for
avr32 targets.

It looks like it also doesn't generate the .hex file that is
convenient for use with.

I don't have an AT91 board, but in attempting the same for that
platform, it seems that it also has that defaulted to enabled and on
the web builder toggling the options for this don't appear to have an
effect, so it appears that there's an issue there as well.

> Any suggestions or can someone tell me how i can get a pre built image
> that will just work with a simple terminal emulator program.

In the interim, I can generate an image for you out of trunk if that
would be helpful.

> I would also like to find a prebuilt image of eLuawebserver for the
> EVK1100 if that is available. I only see a link to a complete source
> repository. But i do not have the toolchain available to build any of
> these images or even the mux.exe that might be needed if i have to work
> with sermux enabled.

Hopefully we can get that corrected in the builder shortly, though I
think the version of eLua that's being used on the builder (the last
release of 0.8) might not support networking.  This is now in the main
trunk.

As far as eLuaWebServer is concerned, you might need to communicate
with Nuccio regarding what differences there are there vs what is in
trunk, since that version seems to have some specialized configuration
options that I'm not familiar with, but here's a build straight out of
those sources:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/169337/elua_lualong_at32uc3a0512.elf
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/169337/elua_lualong_at32uc3a0512.hex

Based on the sources, I believe that it will try to use a static IP of
192.168.1.10.  When I tried quickly testing it with a FAT32 SD card
that was lying around, it seems to at least load up with the files
copied to an SD card.  NOTE: I'm not sure whether we currently work
with SDHC cards of large sizes, when I tried this with an 8 GB card it
wouldn't work, but another 4GB card I had lying around did.

Hope that helps.

> I tried reading all i could find, but now i am stuck.
>
> any suggestions or links would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks
>
> Ken

kyasi kyasi

Re: Getting Started

Hi James

thank you very much for taking the time to help.
I was able to load the hex file you provided and the eluaWebserver runs
on my board and on my network.
But it is very very slow. I wonder if that is normal or something with
my SD card or network setup.

If i ping 192.168.1.10 it is very fast to respond, all the time.
But for example turning on or off an led takes around 10 seconds.
the main page of the test example takes quite a bit of time to load.

Ill have to experiment a little more to see if the problem is in my
setup.

But if i load an Atmel example web server from ASF  it is very fast and
i have no problems at all.

If it is at all possible for you to provide the hex file for the normal
eLua deliverable without the sermux enabled, so that i can experiment
using eLua over the serial port that would really help until i get a
working toolchain set up.

Thanks

Ken

Re: Getting Started

On Mon, Sep 19, 2011 at 4:47 PM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi James
>
> thank you very much for taking the time to help.
> I was able to load the hex file you provided and the eluaWebserver runs
> on my board and on my network.
> But it is very very slow. I wonder if that is normal or something with
> my SD card or network setup.

I'm not sure, since I don't have a great deal of experience with that
modified codebase.  Most of the files on there are fairly small, and
even though the SD card is being accessed over SPI it should be pretty
fast since the files are small.  Certainly for Lua scripts and
whatnot, the delay shouldn't be a noticeable one since we're talking
about kilobytes of data.

> If i ping 192.168.1.10 it is very fast to respond, all the time.
> But for example turning on or off an led takes around 10 seconds.
> the main page of the test example takes quite a bit of time to load.

Again, I think Nuccio would need to chime in on expected performance.

> Ill have to experiment a little more to see if the problem is in my
> setup.
>
> But if i load an Atmel example web server from ASF  it is very fast and
> i have no problems at all.

While I'm not sure what's being done behind the scenes as far as
execution and dispatching responses, I would expect that for single
clients it should be fairly quick unless it's doing something I'm not
thinking of that might require extensive computation.

> If it is at all possible for you to provide the hex file for the normal
> eLua deliverable without the sermux enabled, so that i can experiment
> using eLua over the serial port that would really help until i get a
> working toolchain set up.

Sure, these should work, though I don't have my board in front of me right now:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/169337/eLua-Vanilla/elua_lua_at32uc3a0512.elf
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/169337/eLua-Vanilla/elua_lua_at32uc3a0512.hex

Note: Unlike the eLuaWebserver build, these are built using standard
options out of the main repo and are therefore support floating point
(emulated) whereas the one I provided before was integer-only.

Let me know if you have further questions or encounter difficulties or
need help setting up a toolchain on your particular platform.

Best.

-jsnyder

> Thanks
>
> Ken

kyasi kyasi

Re: Getting Started

Hello James

Again, thank you for taking the time to help.
I tried to load your  generic elua files to my EVK1100 board.
I had no problem programming or verifying the flash image, but i get
no prompt's and it accepts no input.
The best i can tell is i just get a null  0x00 or BREAK sent out the
serial port to the terminal emulator program.

Maybe when you get some time you can just verify that it does work ok on
your board and system. At least that will give me confidence that the
image i have works on someones board.

Also just to make sure, i ran another app that uses the serial port on
the EVK1100 and it works just fine, so there is no hardware issue that i
can find on my end.

I wonder if anyone has tried to create an AVR Studio 5 project using the
elua source directory install ? This would make debugging a lot easier.
Studio 5 lets you create links to existing files, so the download of the
source directory structure could stay in tack, and a studio 5 project
could link to all the revelent source files needed to build,run and
debug the project for the AVR32 platform.

I understand the need for a common build platform to support the many
other platforms for eLua, but Since Studio 5 is free and it supports
AVR32 and should be able to use the eLua source download as is, it would
make things a lot easier.

Once i understand eLua better maybe i will give it a try.

Regarding the eLuawebserver, this sure has great potential but something
is not working well on my system. Things like the Ajax demo that only
changes a few parameters like "Light", works really well, and is quite
fast, but updating pages from sd card is very slow as described before,
and if you let the webserver run for a while, it locks up and you have
to reset the board to get things back. Not sure what that is.

Again, i very much appreciate your help in "getting started "

Ken

Re: Getting Started

On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 9:50 AM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello James
>
> Again, thank you for taking the time to help.
> I tried to load your  generic elua files to my EVK1100 board.
> I had no problem programming or verifying the flash image, but i get
> no prompt's and it accepts no input.
> The best i can tell is i just get a null  0x00 or BREAK sent out the
> serial port to the terminal emulator program.
>
> Maybe when you get some time you can just verify that it does work ok on
> your board and system. At least that will give me confidence that the
> image i have works on someones board.

I'll take a look at it tonight.  I thought I had built an image using
the same toolchain and config options the day before, but perhaps I
made a mistake.

> Also just to make sure, i ran another app that uses the serial port on
> the EVK1100 and it works just fine, so there is no hardware issue that i
> can find on my end.
>
> I wonder if anyone has tried to create an AVR Studio 5 project using the
> elua source directory install ? This would make debugging a lot easier.
> Studio 5 lets you create links to existing files, so the download of the
> source directory structure could stay in tack, and a studio 5 project
> could link to all the revelent source files needed to build,run and
> debug the project for the AVR32 platform.
>
> I understand the need for a common build platform to support the many
> other platforms for eLua, but Since Studio 5 is free and it supports
> AVR32 and should be able to use the eLua source download as is, it would
> make things a lot easier.

I've not installed AVR Studio 5 before, but to my understanding it
should contain avr32-gcc and much of the cross-compiling toolchain.
To that you would likely just need to add Lua and maybe a native
compiler for your platform depending on what you need to build (Python
is somewhat optional now).  What platform are you on?

Regarding making it into a Studio 5 project, I suppose you could just
import all the headers and files into a project and compile, with some
modifications to pass appropriate defines to the compiler and possibly
some other things.  Some things definitely would not work though like
dynamically constructing the romfs filesystem and some of our plans to
overhaul the configuration system to make it a bit simpler to select
compile-time options.

> Once i understand eLua better maybe i will give it a try.
>
> Regarding the eLuawebserver, this sure has great potential but something
> is not working well on my system. Things like the Ajax demo that only
> changes a few parameters like "Light", works really well, and is quite
> fast, but updating pages from sd card is very slow as described before,
> and if you let the webserver run for a while, it locks up and you have
> to reset the board to get things back. Not sure what that is.

Again, I can't speak much to that fork or expected performance with
it.  When I experimented with it a bit, I experienced some similar
difficulties.

> Again, i very much appreciate your help in "getting started "

No problem.  I'm sorry there seem to be so many hurdles in getting the
basics going.  I'll put up an image after I've checked that it's
working on my EVK1100.

Best.

-jsnyder

Re: Getting Started

OK, I've put in replacement files.  I'm not sure what's different,
perhaps I just copied the wrong set of files the first time but these
came up different in terms of contents and the serial console came up
for me (didn't have time for more extensive testing tonight).  Files
are located at the same urls.

-jsnyder

On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 1:30 PM, James Snyder <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>

>> Once i understand eLua better maybe i will give it a try.
>>
>> Regarding the eLuawebserver, this sure has great potential but something
>> is not working well on my system. Things like the Ajax demo that only
>> changes a few parameters like "Light", works really well, and is quite
>> fast, but updating pages from sd card is very slow as described before,
>> and if you let the webserver run for a while, it locks up and you have
>> to reset the board to get things back. Not sure what that is.
>
> Again, I can't speak much to that fork or expected performance with
> it.  When I experimented with it a bit, I experienced some similar
> difficulties.
>

>> Again, i very much appreciate your help in "getting started "
>
> No problem.  I'm sorry there seem to be so many hurdles in getting the
> basics going.  I'll put up an image after I've checked that it's

kyasi kyasi

Re: Getting Started

Hi James

Well the files still do not work on my system.
I downloaded the updated hex and elf files that you provided.
I have no problem programming the flash with these files but i still get
no
output on the serial port and no responses from inputs.
I compared the new files to the original and their are differences, so i
think that
confirms i have the new files.

Since this image works on your EVK1100 i guess ill have to try to figure
out why it does not work on my setup.

Just to confirm your set up.
1. you connect your terminal program to uart0 ( i have tired both )
2. you set terminal for 115.2k N 8 1  no flow control ( I have tried
other combinations)
3. if you press the reset button on the board you get the prompt or if
you just power cycle the board you get the prompt ?  ( i have tried both
with no results )

I checked my hardware again and other applications have no problem
communicating thru the serial uart comm ports to the terminal program.

I will try to figure this out.
I will also try to install the tool chain.
Can you tell me the command line and options you used to build this
image ?

thanks again for your help ?

PS... can you tell me why when i respond to your emails it seems to
start a new thread with the same subject line, but when you respond your
reply goes to the proper thread when viewed thru the web archive ?  I
just "reply all" to the email message i get from you, but apparently
that does not work as i expected.

Ken

----- Original Message Follows -----
> OK, I've put in replacement files.  I'm not sure what's different,
> perhaps I just copied the wrong set of files the first time but these
> came up different in terms of contents and the serial console came up
> for me (didn't have time for more extensive testing tonight).  Files
> are located at the same urls.
>
> -jsnyder

Re: Getting Started

On Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 9:07 AM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi James
>
> Well the files still do not work on my system.
> I downloaded the updated hex and elf files that you provided.
> I have no problem programming the flash with these files but i still get
> no
> output on the serial port and no responses from inputs.
> I compared the new files to the original and their are differences, so i
> think that
> confirms i have the new files.
>
> Since this image works on your EVK1100 i guess ill have to try to figure
> out why it does not work on my setup.
>
> Just to confirm your set up.
> 1. you connect your terminal program to uart0 ( i have tired both )
> 2. you set terminal for 115.2k N 8 1  no flow control ( I have tried
> other combinations)
> 3. if you press the reset button on the board you get the prompt or if
> you just power cycle the board you get the prompt ?  ( i have tried both
> with no results )

Strange.  Yes, UART0, 115200 8N1.  Perhaps the file is getting mangled
when downloaded since the hex file appears to be an ascii file?

Here's a zip containing the elf and hex:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/169337/eLua-Vanilla/eLua_at32uc3a0512.zip

Also, here are MD5s for all the files in the directory:
746d69168d898c1da1e9cad5a86ce220  eLua_at32uc3a0512.zip
78e410fa3dfd01cfe39c69c9419cf349  elua_lua_at32uc3a0512.elf
2967c61646d6a01dc3683e9d323a14be  elua_lua_at32uc3a0512.hex

> I checked my hardware again and other applications have no problem
> communicating thru the serial uart comm ports to the terminal program.
>
> I will try to figure this out.
> I will also try to install the tool chain.
> Can you tell me the command line and options you used to build this
> image ?
>
> thanks again for your help ?
>
> PS... can you tell me why when i respond to your emails it seems to
> start a new thread with the same subject line, but when you respond your
> reply goes to the proper thread when viewed thru the web archive ?  I
> just "reply all" to the email message i get from you, but apparently
> that does not work as i expected.

I suspect you mean on the archives here?
https://lists.berlios.de/pipermail/elua-dev/2011-September/thread.html

Nabble seems to pick up on it correctly:
http://elua-development.2368040.n2.nabble.com/

The basic functionality for pipermail's tracking of threads depends on
the email client maintaining the "In-Reply-To" header when it does a
reply (it might, in some versions also use the subject line?).  I'm
not sure why, but GMail (which is what I'm using for email) seems to
make use of or maintain this header, while messages sent from your
client do not. I'm not sure if there's a way to get it to behave
differently depending on how you reply to messages.

> Ken
>

> ----- Original Message Follows -----
>> OK, I've put in replacement files.  I'm not sure what's different,
>> perhaps I just copied the wrong set of files the first time but these
>> came up different in terms of contents and the serial console came up
>> for me (didn't have time for more extensive testing tonight).  Files
>> are located at the same urls.
>>
>> -jsnyder

kyasi kyasi

Re: Getting Started

Hello James

The zip files still do not work on my board.
I verified that the MD5 of the zip and included files when arrived at my
end
had the same MD5 as you reported in your email reply.
So I do not think the files are getting corrupted.

this is a little strange... the eLuawebserver files you sent me work ok.
And i went back and used the web builder, i deselected the build
switches for SERMUX and RFS and i loaded the generated file to my board.
( I did not expect this all to work because i tried that intially, but i
just wanted to insure that i could get the lua prompt on the serial port
to verify, connections and terminal emulator etc are all as they should
be.  And Yes, with that file i get the proper v .8 prompt each time i
hit reset or power cycle the board, but as we discussed before, i get
the "y" response if i just use the terminal program for input because of
the ser mux.

So i do not understand what could possibly be going on.
Especially since the same image works on your board.

Thanks for spending the time with me. Ill try to install the toolchain
and see if i can get anywhere with that.

Ken

----- Original Message Follows -----

> On Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 9:07 AM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi James
> >
> > Well the files still do not work on my system.
> > I downloaded the updated hex and elf files that you provided.
> > I have no problem programming the flash with these files but i still
> > get no
> > output on the serial port and no responses from inputs.
> > I compared the new files to the original and their are differences,
> > so i think that
> > confirms i have the new files.
> >
> > Since this image works on your EVK1100 i guess ill have to try to
> > figure out why it does not work on my setup.
> >
> > Just to confirm your set up.
> > 1. you connect your terminal program to uart0 ( i have tired both )
> > 2. you set terminal for 115.2k N 8 1  no flow control ( I have
tried

> > other combinations)
> > 3. if you press the reset button on the board you get the prompt or
> > if you just power cycle the board you get the prompt ?  ( i have
> > tried both with no results )
>
> Strange.  Yes, UART0, 115200 8N1.  Perhaps the file is getting mangled
> when downloaded since the hex file appears to be an ascii file?
>
> Here's a zip containing the elf and hex:
> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/169337/eLua-Vanilla/eLua_at32uc3a0512.zip
>
> Also, here are MD5s for all the files in the directory:
> 746d69168d898c1da1e9cad5a86ce220  eLua_at32uc3a0512.zip
> 78e410fa3dfd01cfe39c69c9419cf349  elua_lua_at32uc3a0512.elf
> 2967c61646d6a01dc3683e9d323a14be  elua_lua_at32uc3a0512.hex
>

> > I checked my hardware again and other applications have no problem
> > communicating thru the serial uart comm ports to the terminal
> program. >
> > I will try to figure this out.
> > I will also try to install the tool chain.
> > Can you tell me the command line and options you used to build this
> > image ?
> >
> > thanks again for your help ?
> >
> > PS... can you tell me why when i respond to your emails it seems to
> > start a new thread with the same subject line, but when you respond
> > your reply goes to the proper thread when viewed thru the web
> > archive ?  I just "reply all" to the email message i get from you,
> > but apparently that does not work as i expected.
>
> I suspect you mean on the archives here?
> https://lists.berlios.de/pipermail/elua-dev/2011-September/thread.html
>
> Nabble seems to pick up on it correctly:
> http://elua-development.2368040.n2.nabble.com/
>
> The basic functionality for pipermail's tracking of threads depends on
> the email client maintaining the "In-Reply-To" header when it does a
> reply (it might, in some versions also use the subject line?).  I'm
> not sure why, but GMail (which is what I'm using for email) seems to
> make use of or maintain this header, while messages sent from your
> client do not. I'm not sure if there's a way to get it to behave
> differently depending on how you reply to messages.
>

> > Ken

Re: Getting Started

On Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 4:28 PM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello James
>
> The zip files still do not work on my board.
> I verified that the MD5 of the zip and included files when arrived at my
> end
> had the same MD5 as you reported in your email reply.
> So I do not think the files are getting corrupted.

This is very strange.

What are you using to flash your device?  I was using DFU programmer:
http://dfu-programmer.sourceforge.net/

It's important to use one of the more recent versions if you are,
since in the last version or two they've fixed some issues that could
result in incorrect flashing.

If I can figure out what tool you're using perhaps I can replicate
things on my end.  Are you just flashing through AVR Studio?
Regardless, do the ELF files work for you and could you try that
instead?

> this is a little strange... the eLuawebserver files you sent me work ok.
> And i went back and used the web builder, i deselected the build
> switches for SERMUX and RFS and i loaded the generated file to my board.
> ( I did not expect this all to work because i tried that intially, but i
> just wanted to insure that i could get the lua prompt on the serial port
> to verify, connections and terminal emulator etc are all as they should
> be.  And Yes, with that file i get the proper v .8 prompt each time i
> hit reset or power cycle the board, but as we discussed before, i get
> the "y" response if i just use the terminal program for input because of
> the ser mux.

So, one difference between the images I've sent would be that the
eLuaWebserver should be a bit smaller since it is integer only instead
of including floating point emulation.  I wonder if it could be
related to the flashing tool somehow?

In retrosect, the hex format used for the images contains checksum
data that should help to ensure the integrity of data as it is being
read:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_HEX

If you can try the ELF file as well, maybe try flashing that?  I don't
know which flash tool you're using or what formats it supports.

> So i do not understand what could possibly be going on.
> Especially since the same image works on your board.
>
> Thanks for spending the time with me. Ill try to install the toolchain
> and see if i can get anywhere with that.

No problem. I'm quite curious what could be causing this discrepancy
in behavior.  Depending on the outcome this might be an important
point to note in our documentation or a bug to be fixed.

I can also try building images with exactly the same options as the
eLuaWebserver (integer only, specific memory allocator, don't conserve
RAM by storing pre-initialized data in flash) was built on the off
chance that that maybe had something to do with the difference in
behavior, but I presume you have an at32uc3a0512 and the board has
SDRAM attached.

Best.

-jsnyder

> [...]
>> > your reply goes to the proper thread when viewed thru the web
>> > archive ?  I just "reply all" to the email message i get from you,
>> > but apparently that does not work as i expected.
>>
>> I suspect you mean on the archives here?
>> https://lists.berlios.de/pipermail/elua-dev/2011-September/thread.html
>>
>> Nabble seems to pick up on it correctly:
>> http://elua-development.2368040.n2.nabble.com/
>>
>> The basic functionality for pipermail's tracking of threads depends on
>> the email client maintaining the "In-Reply-To" header when it does a
>> reply (it might, in some versions also use the subject line?).  I'm
>> not sure why, but GMail (which is what I'm using for email) seems to
>> make use of or maintain this header, while messages sent from your
>> client do not. I'm not sure if there's a way to get it to behave
>> differently depending on how you reply to messages.

Ken Yasi Ken Yasi

Re: Getting Started

James Maybe the issue somehow is the programming method, but i cannot figure out how this would be possible. I am using Standard AVR32 tools of AVR Studio 5 and a JTAG interface (either AVR ONE or JTAGICEMKII ) I am not using DFU bootloader. I think trampoline should take care of the reset vector differences. Plus other files like those from web builder and even your eLuawebserver that are programmed on my system in the same way, appear to work ok. I will have to investigate further. My board EVK1100 does have SDRAM mounted and i ran demo app that test's SDRAM and all is ok. If i ever figure this all out, ill come back and report my findings. Ken