GPRS/GSM Lib

Carlo Caratori Carlo Caratori

GPRS/GSM Lib

Hey guys, I am new here and I got a few questions.

I was wondering if any recent progress was made in the GPRS/GSM Library develpment.
There is a section in the projects page of eLua wiki but no actual links.

Also, I am planning on buying a EK-LM3S8962 to play around with, and wanted to buy a GSM module to work with it. Does anyone has any sugestions on which module is better?

Thanks in advance!
Carlo Caratori

Tim Van Der Hulst Tim Van Der Hulst

Re: GPRS/GSM Lib

Hi Carlo,

However, I am a web developer not an embedded guy so it's a bit heavy for eLua (well, on my STM32 board anyway) and uses tonnes of regex, oops and didnt get too far beyond the basics. Intention was to create a generic library for GSM but actually the specs only cover the basics and all the data stuff (eg tcp/ip,http) is not yet standardized :(

We have since moved to using a SimCom 52XX device which supports Lua 5.1 and has thread support etc so we have essentially cut out the need for a dedicated Microprocessor and are building our system entirely around this device.

TiM

Carlo Caratori Carlo Caratori

Re: GPRS/GSM Lib

Hey Tim, thanks a lot for your help.

I'll take a look at the lib as soon as I can, thank you.

The other thing I am still struggling with is which GSM module to buy. Does any one have any suggestions? As I was looking around, it seemed to me that most modules communicate with external CPU through UART interface. Is that correct?

Thanks again,
Carlo

2012/11/21 Tim Van Der Hulst <[hidden email]>
Hi Carlo,

However, I am a web developer not an embedded guy so it's a bit heavy for eLua (well, on my STM32 board anyway) and uses tonnes of regex, oops and didnt get too far beyond the basics. Intention was to create a generic library for GSM but actually the specs only cover the basics and all the data stuff (eg tcp/ip,http) is not yet standardized :(

We have since moved to using a SimCom 52XX device which supports Lua 5.1 and has thread support etc so we have essentially cut out the need for a dedicated Microprocessor and are building our system entirely around this device.

TiM

Martin Guy Martin Guy

Re: GPRS/GSM Lib

That would enable elua devices to communicate from anywhere, ideal for
remote locations as they are mostly low-power devices.

Would anyone like me to include it in mainline eLua and make sure it
works on a selection of platforms?

Tim Van Der Hulst Tim Van Der Hulst

Re: GPRS/GSM Lib

Yup, AT commands through serial interface. If you look at the GSM libraries for Arduino (by way of example) they are very specific to each type of GSM device and also work at a very low level of abstraction, eg simple wrapper around common AT commands or tasks (collection of AT commands) with no support for handling unsolicited response codes, etc. Ie you need to manage the state of the device yourself, typically if something goes wrong rather than try to recover, the developer will simply abort the connection rather than falling back to a recovery state etc.

Tech Notes - Connected Device Design Guidelines and Common AT Commands
http://m2m.com/docs/DOC-1007

This document is a nice guide for the sort of state diagram that a good library should support to abstract out the low level details. But not sure if its entirely feasible on an embedded device that doesn't support threads.

Cheers, web guy..

TiM

Martin Guy Martin Guy

Re: GPRS/GSM Lib

On 22 November 2012 21:02, Tim Van Der Hulst <[hidden email]> wrote:
> But not sure if its entirely feasible on an embedded device that doesn't support threads.

eLua support threads. Just not asynchronous, pre-emptive ones, well,
unless you count the Lua interrupt mechanism.