Flash Drives

Pink Boy Pink Boy

Flash Drives

I've been poking at eLua a bit on an AT91SAM7X256-EK dev board from Olimex.

It appears that on this platform the MMC card isn't supported by eLua. Since the part is a bit old I'm suspecting that it's probably not worth supporting at this point. And then looking at the TI EX-TM4C1294XL dev board from TI, it doesn't have an SD/MMC card interface at all.

Unless I'm mistaken, that limits you to downloading code via the 'recv' command are creating a ROM image with your code on those board, no ability to upload code into NVM.

Which if you gotten this far, would it be possible to implement a 'flash drive' using the section of the processors Flash?  I know all the ATMEL parts support bootloaders.  Only difficulty is when writing a page of memory you need to make sure you aren't executing out of flash while programming

Does this make sense as feature for the eLua shell? Or is it unpossible?

Matt

scdr scdr

Re: Flash Drives

A hardware sollution for the TM4C1294XL would be to get a SD or MicroSD boosterpack.
(Since it has 2 booster pack headers, and booster packs can usually stack, this should not preclude using additional booster packs, if desired.)
Of course you could use a SD breakout board, the booster packs just have the advantage of neater wiring.

You can load code into NVM using the recv command - save the file on eLua's write once file system.
(Which I have tested on Stellaris LP.)

Yes, it would be possible to implement a flash drive on the processors flash.
There is some example code for mass storage device in the Tivaware libraries.
One could also borrow from this example
http://forum.stellarisiti.com/topic/377-usb-mass-storage-bootloader/
(Obviously would not be a boot loader, but could do that for loading eLua programs).
I believe one of the other ARM processors has this feature already (think it is one of the lpc ones, mbed maybe?)

By the way, for those interested there is a binary for the TM4C1294XL posted in the forum I mentioned a few days ago.
It is mostly untested, but I have one report that it does boot and gets as far as letting you enter programs.