First commands? help with 3rd tutorial

Patrick Mc(avery Patrick Mc(avery

First commands? help with 3rd tutorial

Hi Everyone

My family and I have been sick and I am dragging my butt around. I would
like to complete the 3rd tutorial soon though. I want to show new users
how to just get "off and running" by flashing with proprietary
software(I'll do a Linux/Jtag one later), to use a terminal emulator and
to run some simple commands at the elua shell. I just can't think of
anything simple commands that would also be interesting. Any
suggestions? I am using the Luminary LM3S8962 board.

Thanks for reading-Patrick

Re: First commands? help with 3rd tutorial

On Thu, Dec 22, 2011 at 9:07 PM, Patrick <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Everyone
>
> My family and I have been sick and I am dragging my butt around. I would
> like to complete the 3rd tutorial soon though. I want to show new users how
> to just get "off and running" by flashing with proprietary software(I'll do
> a Linux/Jtag one later), to use a terminal emulator and to run some simple
> commands at the elua shell. I just can't think of anything simple commands
> that would also be interesting. Any suggestions? I am using the Luminary
> LM3S8962 board.

First a question: Are you intending to just show the computer screen
or the MCU as well?
 - you can do things like use some demos that use PWM to play audio,
blink leds, use the display if the 8962 EK has one etc..  vs you can
show some some basic Lua code & some term-using examples/demos

The audio pwm demo might be one that could be a nice way to handle
things if you are just using the screen recording and mic since the
mic can pick up on that?

Depending on the goal of the tutorial you could show Lua basics or
eLua basics.  On the one hand you could show how to use loops and flow
control in Lua on the other hand you can show control of peripherals?
Or, maybe a mixture of both (changing tone on PWM or brightness on
LED))?

Personally, I might suggest that since you're demoing putting this on
an MCU that the initial focus might be on showing a few features of
how it makes use of that hardware, and how you can try different
options on the fly without reflashing or developing some sort of
custom remote control protocol.

If anyone else has any particularly neat ideas, certainly chime in :-)

> Thanks for reading-Patrick

Patrick Mc(avery Patrick Mc(avery

Re: First commands? help with 3rd tutorial

> First a question: Are you intending to just show the computer screen
> or the MCU as well?
>   - you can do things like use some demos that use PWM to play audio,
> blink leds, use the display if the 8962 EK has one etc..  vs you can
> show some some basic Lua code&  some term-using examples/demos
>
> The audio pwm demo might be one that could be a nice way to handle
> things if you are just using the screen recording and mic since the
> mic can pick up on that?
>
> Depending on the goal of the tutorial you could show Lua basics or
> eLua basics.  On the one hand you could show how to use loops and flow
> control in Lua on the other hand you can show control of peripherals?
> Or, maybe a mixture of both (changing tone on PWM or brightness on
> LED))?
>
> Personally, I might suggest that since you're demoing putting this on
> an MCU that the initial focus might be on showing a few features of
> how it makes use of that hardware, and how you can try different
> options on the fly without reflashing or developing some sort of
> custom remote control protocol.
>
> If anyone else has any particularly neat ideas, certainly chime in :-)

Hi James

I still need to fine tune my set up but I very much plan on recording
videos of real world activity, both with the development boards and with
my scientific instruments.

Thanks-Pat