Embedded C Library Candidate

Thanks to Guillaume Fortaine for sending this along.  Apparently a
slimmed-down newlib-based C library is now under new BSD license.  For
those who are debating working on or have been working on a stripped
down C library for eLua, this might be of interest:
http://code.google.com/p/minilib-c/

-jsnyder
Matt Wilbur Matt Wilbur

Re: Embedded C Library Candidate

Hi,

On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 1:56 PM, Matt Wilbur <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Very cool.  Now, if I can only manage to do without sleep, I'll be able to
> work on this.  I got eLua compiling clean with minix libc, but as we all
> know that doesn't mean a heck of a lot.

Personally, I think that means quite a lot. Did you also manage to
'port' the Newlib stubs to minix libc? How about the difference in
size?

> On Monday, 6 February, 2012 at 11:49 PM, James Snyder wrote:
>
> Thanks to Guillaume Fortaine for sending this along. Apparently a
> slimmed-down newlib-based C library is now under new BSD license. For
> those who are debating working on or have been working on a stripped
> down C library for eLua, this might be of interest:
> http://code.google.com/p/minilib-c/
>
> -jsnyder
Brent Picasso Brent Picasso

Re: Embedded C Library Candidate

This looks very interesting. Is the library complete, or still a work in progress?

I was particularly interested in the malloc implementation, but saw that that malloc function simply returned 'NULL'.

Brent Picasso
Autosport Labs
Technology for Race and Street
autosportlabs.com | twitter.com/AutosportLabs

On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 6:33 PM, Brent Picasso <[hidden email]> wrote:
> This looks very interesting. Is the library complete, or still a work in
> progress?
>
> I was particularly interested in the malloc implementation, but saw that
> that malloc function simply returned 'NULL'.

Are you interested in a particular malloc implementation, with certain
optimizations?

On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 10:42 PM, Brent Picasso <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Mostly interested in a malloc that is very light weight, but at least
> recovers memory and performs defragmentation (the latter would be a bonus)

The simple allocator in elua (enabled by compiling with
'allocator=simple') recovers memory, but doesn't defragment. Very few
allocators actually defragment memory, as the runtime penalty for this
operation is huge. Unfortunately, light weight and efficient (in terms
of speed and/or fragmentation) allocators are still mostly an exercise
in imagination.