Elua on Mizar32 book

Martin Guy Martin Guy

Elua on Mizar32 book

Hi!
  We're writing a book for a tiny computer that runs eLua natively and
want to sell it as a free gift included in a book which explains how
to use it. This provides us with the opportunity to write a book that
teaches anything we care to write about as an example of how to use
Lua/eLua with board-specific examples included. As the range of
Mizar32 add-on boards includes a naked set of headers with an are of
interestingly-patterned solder areas, I propose as a first example an
array of LEDs and a program to flash them in different patterns in
response to button presses.

  Contributors are invited to check code.google.com/p/mizar32 and
elua-project.net

   Recommendations for a collaborative writing tool to use? It would
be nice to produce (good-quality typesetting) paper copy too to flog
on lulu.com or wherever.

Re: Elua on Mizar32 book

On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 2:48 AM, Martin Guy <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi!
>  We're writing a book for a tiny computer that runs eLua natively

Wow. Just yesterday I told Dado how good your Mizar board + its
shields would be for a stand alone eLua based computer. This is
something I've been dreaming to do for a while now. Don't get me wrong
on the "dream" part; it's perfectly doable, it would just need quite a
bit of effort (which mostly translates to time that I don't have right
now). I even made a slow start on this (on a different platform
though, but with a very similar video output system). I'd love to see
this project come together, as I can see actual real world
applications to it.

> and
> want to sell it as a free gift included in a book which explains how
> to use it. This provides us with the opportunity to write a book that
> teaches anything we care to write about as an example of how to use
> Lua/eLua with board-specific examples included. As the range of
> Mizar32 add-on boards includes a naked set of headers with an are of
> interestingly-patterned solder areas, I propose as a first example an
> array of LEDs and a program to flash them in different patterns in
> response to button presses.

Nice. You simply can't go wrong with LEDs.

>  Contributors are invited to check code.google.com/p/mizar32 and
> elua-project.net

That would be 'eluaproject.net' :)

>   Recommendations for a collaborative writing tool to use? It would
> be nice to produce (good-quality typesetting) paper copy too to flog
> on lulu.com or wherever.

No idea here, sorry. But please let me know when you decide on
something, I'd like to contribute.

Re: Elua on Mizar32 book

On Sun, Jan 9, 2011 at 23:08, Bogdan Marinescu <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 2:48 AM, Martin Guy <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi!
>  We're writing a book for a tiny computer that runs eLua natively

Wow. Just yesterday I told Dado how good your Mizar board + its
shields would be for a stand alone eLua based computer. This is
something I've been dreaming to do for a while now. Don't get me wrong
on the "dream" part; it's perfectly doable, it would just need quite a
bit of effort (which mostly translates to time that I don't have right
now). I even made a slow start on this (on a different platform
though, but with a very similar video output system). I'd love to see
this project come together, as I can see actual real world
applications to it.

> and
> want to sell it as a free gift included in a book which explains how
> to use it. This provides us with the opportunity to write a book that
> teaches anything we care to write about as an example of how to use
> Lua/eLua with board-specific examples included. As the range of
> Mizar32 add-on boards includes a naked set of headers with an are of
> interestingly-patterned solder areas, I propose as a first example an
> array of LEDs and a program to flash them in different patterns in
> response to button presses.

Nice.
Do you plan to use smarter LED arrays that have local controllers ? In this case, I suggest you take a look in Bogdan's recent entry (and prize awarded) to a contest, which I'm afraid he hasn't found the time to put in our wiki yet.

Nice. You simply can't go wrong with LEDs.

>  Contributors are invited to check code.google.com/p/mizar32 and
> elua-project.net

That would be 'eluaproject.net' :)

>   Recommendations for a collaborative writing tool to use? It would
> be nice to produce (good-quality typesetting) paper copy too to flog
> on lulu.com or wherever.

Maybe ASCIIDoc (http://www.methods.co.nz/asciidoc/) ?
It is easy to learn, friendly to use and outputs most know formats (PDF, LaTeX, eBooks, markups, HTML, ......).
We've been successfully using it in our distro doc and parts of the main site.

No idea here, sorry. But please let me know when you decide on
something, I'd like to contribute.

Martin Guy Martin Guy

Re: Elua on Mizar32 book

On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 3:24 AM, Dado Sutter <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Do you plan to use smarter LED arrays that have local controllers?

Not for a first example. Soldering simple LEDs and resistors together
is part of the fun :)

Re: Elua on Mizar32 book

On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 01:02, Martin Guy <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 3:24 AM, Dado Sutter <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Do you plan to use smarter LED arrays that have local controllers?

Not for a first example. Soldering simple LEDs and resistors together
is part of the fun :)

Cool :)
It is that some kits have few gpio output pins (and limited in current) and may require some external hw. For our VFD projects we used serial shifters with latches and they have outputs that can drive LEDs.
Please share it on the wiki if possible. (thanks !)

Re: Elua on Mizar32 book

On Sun, Jan 9, 2011 at 8:24 PM, Dado Sutter <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 9, 2011 at 23:08, Bogdan Marinescu <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 2:48 AM, Martin Guy <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Hi!
>> >  We're writing a book for a tiny computer that runs eLua natively
>>
>> Wow. Just yesterday I told Dado how good your Mizar board + its
>> shields would be for a stand alone eLua based computer. This is
>> something I've been dreaming to do for a while now. Don't get me wrong
>> on the "dream" part; it's perfectly doable, it would just need quite a
>> bit of effort (which mostly translates to time that I don't have right
>> now). I even made a slow start on this (on a different platform
>> though, but with a very similar video output system). I'd love to see
>> this project come together, as I can see actual real world
>> applications to it.
>>
>> > and
>> > want to sell it as a free gift included in a book which explains how
>> > to use it. This provides us with the opportunity to write a book that
>> > teaches anything we care to write about as an example of how to use
>> > Lua/eLua with board-specific examples included. As the range of
>> > Mizar32 add-on boards includes a naked set of headers with an are of
>> > interestingly-patterned solder areas, I propose as a first example an
>> > array of LEDs and a program to flash them in different patterns in
>> > response to button presses.
>
> Nice.
> Do you plan to use smarter LED arrays that have local controllers ? In this
> case, I suggest you take a look in Bogdan's recent entry (and prize awarded)
> to a contest, which I'm afraid he hasn't found the time to put in our wiki
> yet.
>
>> Nice. You simply can't go wrong with LEDs.
>>
>> >  Contributors are invited to check code.google.com/p/mizar32 and
>> > elua-project.net
>>
>> That would be 'eluaproject.net' :)
>>
>> >   Recommendations for a collaborative writing tool to use? It would
>> > be nice to produce (good-quality typesetting) paper copy too to flog
>> > on lulu.com or wherever.
>
> Maybe ASCIIDoc (http://www.methods.co.nz/asciidoc/) ?
> It is easy to learn, friendly to use and outputs most know formats (PDF,
> LaTeX, eBooks, markups, HTML, ......).
> We've been successfully using it in our distro doc and parts of the main
> site.

ASCIIDoc would be not bad, especially if you like the style of
documentation it creates by default in various forms.

I might lean towards straight LaTeX if the intention is for a
printed/pdf/ebook document though: it's what LaTeX is designed for.
http://www.latex-project.org/
For a distribution:
http://www.tug.org/texlive/

Heck, there's even a version of pdfTeX that I've seen with most TeX
Live distributions that embeds Lua called luatex (though I've never
really had a need for using Lua scripting with LaTeX):
http://www.luatex.org/

>> No idea here, sorry. But please let me know when you decide on
>> something, I'd like to contribute.
>>
>> Best,
>> Bogdan
>
> Best
> Dado

PGP: http://fanplastic.org/key.txt
Phone: (847) 448-0386

Re: Elua on Mizar32 book

I believe Martin was looking more for a collaborative writing tool
than for a formatting tool. If I didn't understand properly I'll be
happy to join the AsciiDoc group :)

luigi scarso luigi scarso

Re: Elua on Mizar32 book

On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 8:29 PM, James Snyder <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 9, 2011 at 8:24 PM, Dado Sutter <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>> On Sun, Jan 9, 2011 at 23:08, Bogdan Marinescu <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:

>>> Wow. Just yesterday I told Dado how good your Mizar board + its
>>> shields would be for a stand alone eLua based computer. This is
>>> something I've been dreaming to do for a while now. Don't get me wrong
>>> on the "dream" part; it's perfectly doable, it would just need quite a
>>> bit of effort (which mostly translates to time that I don't have right
>>> now). I even made a slow start on this (on a different platform
>>> though, but with a very similar video output system). I'd love to see
>>> this project come together, as I can see actual real world
>>> applications to it.

>> Nice.
>> Do you plan to use smarter LED arrays that have local controllers ? In this
>> case, I suggest you take a look in Bogdan's recent entry (and prize awarded)
>> to a contest, which I'm afraid he hasn't found the time to put in our wiki
>> yet.
>>
>>> Nice. You simply can't go wrong with LEDs.

>>> That would be 'eluaproject.net' :)

>> Maybe ASCIIDoc (http://www.methods.co.nz/asciidoc/) ?
>> It is easy to learn, friendly to use and outputs most know formats (PDF,
>> LaTeX, eBooks, markups, HTML, ......).
>> We've been successfully using it in our distro doc and parts of the main
>> site.
>
> ASCIIDoc would be not bad, especially if you like the style of
> documentation it creates by default in various forms.
>
> I might lean towards straight LaTeX if the intention is for a
> printed/pdf/ebook document though: it's what LaTeX is designed for.
> http://www.latex-project.org/
> For a distribution:
> http://www.tug.org/texlive/
>
> Heck, there's even a version of pdfTeX that I've seen with most TeX
> Live distributions that embeds Lua called luatex (though I've never
> really had a need for using Lua scripting with LaTeX):
> http://www.luatex.org/
Eventually ConTeXt
http://wiki.contextgarden.net
http://wiki.contextgarden.net/ConTeXt_Minimals

--
luigi
Martin Guy Martin Guy

Re: Elua on Mizar32 book

The debate on book+web production software to use, both for
collaborative writing and for typesetting, has already taken place in
the "Cookbook" thread. Let's use whatever they have decided to use
since it will be a comtemplated choice and means that authors in both
fields only risk having to learn one new system, not two.

What did they decide to use in the end?

Re: Elua on Mizar32 book

Hi guys,

On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 03:21, Martin Guy <[hidden email]> wrote:
The debate on book+web production software to use, both for
collaborative writing and for typesetting, has already taken place in
the "Cookbook" thread.

Sorry, Is this here on the list or in Mizar32 one ? I couldn't find this thread immediately.

Let's use whatever they have decided to use
since it will be a comtemplated choice and means that authors in both
fields only risk having to learn one new system, not two.

I didn't understand who "they" are but I hope all the Authors will be heard on this

What did they decide to use in the end?

Good question, I'm also curious :)  and afraid if "they" have decided it already.

Re: Elua on Mizar32 book

> Sorry, Is this here on the list or in Mizar32 one ? I couldn't find this
> thread immediately.

Nope, it's a thread on the Lua discussion list about an upcoming Lua
cookbook. I don't know their conclusions though.

Martin Guy Martin Guy

Re: Elua on Mizar32 book

On 11 January 2011 12:36, Bogdan Marinescu <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Sorry, Is this here on the list or in Mizar32 one ? I couldn't find this
>> thread immediately.
>
> Nope, it's a thread on the Lua discussion list about an upcoming Lua
> cookbook. I don't know their conclusions though.

Yes, sorry, I got confused between the different mailing lists.
They're brainstroming here
https://github.com/lua-cookbook/lua-cookbook/wiki
and have chosen github as a collaborative tool but have not yet
decided what system to use for the content. (See wiki->The Book
Format)

Re: Elua on Mizar32 book

On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 13:23, Martin Guy <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 11 January 2011 12:36, Bogdan Marinescu <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Sorry, Is this here on the list or in Mizar32 one ? I couldn't find this
>> thread immediately.
>
> Nope, it's a thread on the Lua discussion list about an upcoming Lua
> cookbook. I don't know their conclusions though.

Yes, sorry, I got confused between the different mailing lists.
They're brainstroming here
https://github.com/lua-cookbook/lua-cookbook/wiki

Thanks.
Pls feel free to create and edit whatever you want on our wiki (http://wiki.eluaproject.net) too.

and have chosen github as a collaborative tool but have not yet
decided what system to use for the content. (See wiki->The Book
Format)

Ok. We continue the brainstorm there and/or here on the list.

Re: Elua on Mizar32 book

On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 9:42 AM, Dado Sutter <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 13:23, Martin Guy <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> > Nope, it's a thread on the Lua discussion list about an upcoming Lua
>> > cookbook. I don't know their conclusions though.
>>
>> Yes, sorry, I got confused between the different mailing lists.
>> They're brainstroming here
>> https://github.com/lua-cookbook/lua-cookbook/wiki
>
> Thanks.
> Pls feel free to create and edit whatever you want on our wiki
> (http://wiki.eluaproject.net) too.
>
>> and have chosen github as a collaborative tool but have not yet
>> decided what system to use for the content. (See wiki->The Book
>> Format)
>
> Ok. We continue the brainstorm there and/or here on the list.

This one or Lua list?

On the wiki they have the following list:
- Markdown + Pandoc + Some post-processing, like in ProGit book.
- RST + Sphinx.
- Raw LaTeX

I think all of those are pretty reasonable and each has advantages and
disadvantages.  I'm somewhat curious, though, about why they would go
with Markdown + Pandoc vs AsciiDoc.

Personally, I do love the output of Sphinx for web documentation (it's
used by the Python project and a lot of Python modules):
http://sphinx.pocoo.org/ but I'm not too familiar with what it's like
generating printed docs through that.

As far as a common system for editing the docs, I'd just pick a
revision control system or use one people are comfortable with.  It
might not provide a nice live editing experience, but you can use
hooks with Git and SVN to do things like automatically regenerate
output when a commit were to come in.  Some of the web-hosted revision
control systems like GitHub allow you to edit files in the repository
through the web browser which might be of use to potential editors who
are less comfortable with a revision control system.

> Best
> Dado

PGP: http://fanplastic.org/key.txt
Phone: (847) 448-0386

Re: Elua on Mizar32 book

Hello,

On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 19:22, James Snyder <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 9:42 AM, Dado Sutter <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 13:23, Martin Guy <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> > Nope, it's a thread on the Lua discussion list about an upcoming Lua
>> > cookbook. I don't know their conclusions though.
>>
>> Yes, sorry, I got confused between the different mailing lists.
>> They're brainstroming here
>> https://github.com/lua-cookbook/lua-cookbook/wiki
>
> Thanks.
> Pls feel free to create and edit whatever you want on our wiki
> (http://wiki.eluaproject.net) too.
>
>> and have chosen github as a collaborative tool but have not yet
>> decided what system to use for the content. (See wiki->The Book
>> Format)
>
> Ok. We continue the brainstorm there and/or here on the list.

This one or Lua list?

On the wiki they have the following list:
- Markdown + Pandoc + Some post-processing, like in ProGit book.
- RST + Sphinx.
- Raw LaTeX

I think all of those are pretty reasonable and each has advantages and
disadvantages.  I'm somewhat curious, though, about why they would go
with Markdown + Pandoc vs AsciiDoc.

Personally, I do love the output of Sphinx for web documentation (it's
used by the Python project and a lot of Python modules):
http://sphinx.pocoo.org/ but I'm not too familiar with what it's like
generating printed docs through that.

As far as a common system for editing the docs, I'd just pick a
revision control system or use one people are comfortable with.  It
might not provide a nice live editing experience, but you can use
hooks with Git and SVN to do things like automatically regenerate
output when a commit were to come in.  Some of the web-hosted revision
control systems like GitHub allow you to edit files in the repository
through the web browser which might be of use to potential editors who
are less comfortable with a revision control system.

> Best
> Dado

PGP: http://fanplastic.org/key.txt
Phone: (847) 448-0386
Martin Guy Martin Guy

Re: Elua on Mizar32 book

Ok, here's a first suggestion for skeleton chapters. Add stuff at will.

http://tracker.eluaproject.net/projects/elua/wiki/EluaOnMizar32

Kevin Vermeer Kevin Vermeer

Re: Elua on Mizar32 book

On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 8:34 PM, Martin Guy <[hidden email]> wrote:
Ok, here's a first suggestion for skeleton chapters. Add stuff at will.

http://tracker.eluaproject.net/projects/elua/wiki/EluaOnMizar32

Looks good! However, I'd suggest that the software chapter(s) precede the hardware chapter(s).  When a first-time user picks up the book, the hardware will be interesting, but I think that they'll want to do something with the software before making changes to the hardware.

Also, followers of the Mizar32 list might know this, but I haven't seen any info on where can one buy the Mizar32 board.  The other boards supported by eLua are generally made by well-known manufacturers, and the first page of Google results is likely to have a link where the board can be purchased.  (Perhaps this information should be added to the website?)
However, I haven't been able to find this info for the Mizar32, or even PCB design files to build it myself!  I'm afraid that I can't make any further contributions to the book (even if I had the time...) without the board.

Martin Guy Martin Guy

Re: Elua on Mizar32 book

> Looks good! However, I'd suggest that the software chapter(s) precede the
> hardware chapter(s).

Cheers. Applied

> t I haven't seen any
> info on where can one buy the Mizar32 board.

One can't. It's as the first hand-assembled small quantity stage with
first production run in a few months.

> or even PCB design files to build it myself!

The schematics are available as PDFs at
http://code.google.com/p/mizar32/downloads/list and the kicad PCB
design files will appear there soon.

Re: Elua on Mizar32 book

On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 3:34 AM, Martin Guy <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Ok, here's a first suggestion for skeleton chapters. Add stuff at will.
>
> http://tracker.eluaproject.net/projects/elua/wiki/EluaOnMizar32

I took a look at the chapter list and I'd like to understand the
purpose of this project better. Your initial message said "We're
writing a book for a tiny computer that runs eLua natively" (which is
great BTW :) ). My problem is that I don't really understand what the
idea of an "eLua computer" is to you. I can see chapters like this in
your book:

- list of pin assignments on connectors, *memory map* and other stuff
from the mizar32 wiki
- invitation to produce your own boards and derivatives
- Compiling the eLua interpreter from source using Ubuntu, as flash
image or for SD card with eLuaBLOD
- Flashing firmware using DFU bootloader
- Mention mizar32 Google code project for precompiled firmware and
latest patches

This hints to the fact that your eLua computer is targeted towards
experienced developers. Nothing wrong with this, I just want to
understand where you're trying to go, as my own ideas about an
eLua-based computer are a bit diferent and I need to understand yours.

Thanks,
Martin Guy Martin Guy

Re: Elua on Mizar32 book

On 12 January 2011 11:29, Bogdan Marinescu <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 3:34 AM, Martin Guy <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Ok, here's a first suggestion for skeleton chapters. Add stuff at will.
>> http://tracker.eluaproject.net/projects/elua/wiki/EluaOnMizar32

> I took a look at the chapter list and I'd like to understand the
> purpose of this project better. Your initial message said "We're
> writing a book for a tiny computer that runs eLua natively" (which is
> great BTW :) ). My problem is that I don't really understand what the
> idea of an "eLua computer" is to you. I can see chapters like this in
> your book:
>
> - list of pin assignments on connectors, *memory map* and other stuff
> from the mizar32 wiki
> - invitation to produce your own boards and derivatives
> - Compiling the eLua interpreter from source using Ubuntu, as flash
> image or for SD card with eLuaBLOD
> - Flashing firmware using DFU bootloader
> - Mention mizar32 Google code project for precompiled firmware and
> latest patches
>
> This hints to the fact that your eLua computer is targeted towards
> experienced developers. Nothing wrong with this, I just want to
> understand where you're trying to go, as my own ideas about an
> eLua-based computer are a bit diferent and I need to understand yours.

and, privately:

2011/1/12 Sergio Sorrenti <[hidden email]>:
> Una cosa importante, e' che il libro sia veramente popolare,
> quindi non mirato agli universitari ma a tutti.
or
> Something important is that the book be truly (er, literally, "aimed at the general populace"; it's not non "popular" as in "with lots of people who like it"),
> so not aimed at university types but at everyone.

Thanks. I just put down what would seem absolutely necessary to me as
a developer or to someone like me at mid-late school age. I'm used to
teaching 18-21s, but that is just be a professional deformity of mine.
:)
But absolutely i agree, defining the target audience is critical.

In the 80s Acorn (as it was then) produced "Atomic Theory and
Practice" teaching programming in BASIC and even a full course in 6502
assembler(*). It was a huge step in my programming education and I
devoured every page. But something like that takes a year to write.

My first hack at a contents list is just a collection of the essential
info for a geek, plus a scraping of the wikis and mailing list posts.
I'm also anxious to lift as much of it as possible from existing
sources, of course.

Should we (can we?) include the Atmel datasheet which describes the
operation and register layout of the devices?  Does book size
significantly increase the printing costs or not? Shipping for sure,
as extra weight.

Should we include stuff that's already on the web? I'd say yes, since
printed book format is much easier to learn from, read on the bus and
use as a reference while hacking. The pages should become stained with
food :)

This points to a slim volume with reference data primarily, with
explanations around each item explaining its main components, how they
talk to each other and how to read the following diagrams/tables.

Like I said: my list is a collection of the material we already have,
largely. If someone has a different overall structure in mind, or if
someone can brainstorm an alternative content list, we could add them
as alternative chapter lists, then synthesize a single work later on.
Feel free to modify the existing one.

*) with their amazing in-BASIC assembler, which would write machine
instructions sequentially in RAM at the address pointed to by P
autoincrementing P as a side effect, with some extra keywork to jump
to it as a subroutine. Example:
P=32768
FOR I = 1 TO 10 DO
  [ NOP; ]
END
[ RTS; ]
CALL 32768
(or something like that. Sorry, I forget the BASIC syntax for FOR
loops. Thankfully.)