Development Board Tutorial

Patrick Mc(avery Patrick Mc(avery

Development Board Tutorial

So with Bogdan's feedback I feel confident to move forward with my
tutorial series. I have uploaded another one at:
www.spellingbeewinnars.org/Development_Boards.avi (upload will be
finished about an hour from now)

This one was 18 minutes long and is 500Megs, you might want to hold off
watching it until I have it set up for streaming.

To prepare for the video I priced out all the development boards I could
find, I have attached the list below, it also mentions their architecture.

Not sure if a page on the website listing approximate prices and
architectures would be helpful but if it is , here is a bit of info if
it is:

Micromint Eagle 50 - arm, base price 44.95 USD
Micromint Eagle 50E -arm, base price 49.95 USD
Micromint Eagle 100 -arm,  base price 89.95 USD
Texas Instruments EK-LM3S8962, -arm, price 89.00 USD
Texas Instruments EK-LM3S6965, -arm, 69.15 USD
Texas Instruments EK-LM3S9B92 -arm, 99.00 USD
mbed LPC1768 -arm, 59.95 USD
ST Microelectronics STM3210E-EVAL -arm, 248.75 USD
Futurlec ETM-STM32 -arm, $24.90 USD
PUC-Rio demo board -arm, ?
TinyCLR FEZ Panda -arm, 34.95 USD
ScTec MOD-711 -arm, ?
Atmel SAM7-EX256 -arm, $130.46 USD
Netduino -arm, 59.95 USD
Netduino Mini -arm, 28.95 USD
Netduino Plus -arm, 59.95 USD
Olimex STR-E912 -arm, 137.94 EUR
Hitex comStick -arm, 83.79 USD
Atmel EVK-1100 -avr32 core $184.28 CDN
Atmel EVK-1101 -avr32 core, $162.44 CDN
Mizar32 -avr32 core, about 45.00 Eur
PIC32 might be around $40.00 USD

I did not find a place to buy the PUC board or the ScTec board. I
referenced a PIC32 board at $40 but mentioned that it was not officially
support yet.

Tomorrow I will try another screencast, showing how to flash a board
under windows and communicate with it via cutecom on Linux.

Thanks

cbayona cbayona

Re: Development Board Tutorial

I can't get it to play comes up with error 50, I tried downloading it
a second time with the same results.

At 10:15 PM 12/11/2011, you wrote:

>So with Bogdan's feedback I feel confident to move forward with my
>tutorial series. I have uploaded another one at:
>www.spellingbeewinnars.org/Development_Boards.avi (upload will be
>finished about an hour from now)
>
>This one was 18 minutes long and is 500Megs, you might want to hold
>off watching it until I have it set up for streaming.
>
>To prepare for the video I priced out all the development boards I
>could find, I have attached the list below, it also mentions their
>architecture.
>
>Not sure if a page on the website listing approximate prices and
>architectures would be helpful but if it is , here is a bit of info if it is:
>
>Micromint Eagle 50 - arm, base price 44.95 USD
>Micromint Eagle 50E -arm, base price 49.95 USD
>Micromint Eagle 100 -arm,  base price 89.95 USD
>Texas Instruments EK-LM3S8962, -arm, price 89.00 USD
>Texas Instruments EK-LM3S6965, -arm, 69.15 USD
>Texas Instruments EK-LM3S9B92 -arm, 99.00 USD
>mbed LPC1768 -arm, 59.95 USD
>ST Microelectronics STM3210E-EVAL -arm, 248.75 USD
>Futurlec ETM-STM32 -arm, $24.90 USD
>PUC-Rio demo board -arm, ?
>TinyCLR FEZ Panda -arm, 34.95 USD
>ScTec MOD-711 -arm, ?
>Atmel SAM7-EX256 -arm, $130.46 USD
>Netduino -arm, 59.95 USD
>Netduino Mini -arm, 28.95 USD
>Netduino Plus -arm, 59.95 USD
>Olimex STR-E912 -arm, 137.94 EUR
>Hitex comStick -arm, 83.79 USD
>Atmel EVK-1100 -avr32 core $184.28 CDN
>Atmel EVK-1101 -avr32 core, $162.44 CDN
>Mizar32 -avr32 core, about 45.00 Eur
>PIC32 might be around $40.00 USD
>
>I did not find a place to buy the PUC board or the ScTec board. I
>referenced a PIC32 board at $40 but mentioned that it was not
>officially support yet.
>
>Tomorrow I will try another screencast, showing how to flash a board
>under windows and communicate with it via cutecom on Linux.
>
>Thanks

Cecil
k5nwa
http://www.softrockradio.org/
http://thepartsplace.k5nwa.com/
http://parts.softrockradio.org/

On 11-12-12 11:48 AM, cbayona wrote:
> I can't get it to play comes up with error 50, I tried downloading it
> a second time with the same results.
Hi !

I am very glad you are interested in the video. I was able to play it
here but the download time was ridiculous, > 20 minutes.

I'm betting your ISP has limits on download times of certain files.

I am uploading a .tar version, please try again in about an hour, the
link is:

www.spellingbeewinnars.org/Development_Boards/Development_Boards.avi.tar.gz

These videos will eventually end up on youtube or I will set up my own
streaming server. Obviously in their present state they are unusable.

Thanks again for the feedback and interest-Patrick

Thiago Naves Thiago Naves

Re: Development Board Tutorial

Hi,

Regarding the PUC-Rio demo board, it's indeed not for sale anywhere. This board was made at Led Lab in PUC-Rio and I think a few were given away.
But anyway, I think it's the only board with the LPC2468 chip.

The MOD-711 I think is a rather old board ( one of the first ports maybe...? ). Maybe they don't make it anymore...
I don't know, just guessing here ;)

Thiago

www.spellingbeewinnars.org/Development_Boards/Development_Boards.avi.tar.gz<span onmouseout="cancel = false; window.setTimeout(WRCHideContent, 1000); clearTimeout(showTimer);" onmouseover=" var self = this; showTimer = window.setTimeout(function(){WRCShowContent({&#39;rating&#39;:{&#39;value&#39;:-1,&#39;weight&#39;:-1},&#39;flags&#39;:{},&#39;single&#39;:false,&#39;ttl&#39;:7200,&#39;expireTime&#39;:&#39;20111212200126&#39;}, self.className)},600);" class="wrc0" style="padding-right:16px;width:16px;height:16px">

https://lists.berlios.de/mailman/listinfo/elua-dev<span onmouseout="cancel = false; window.setTimeout(WRCHideContent, 1000); clearTimeout(showTimer);" onmouseover=" var self = this; showTimer = window.setTimeout(function(){WRCShowContent({&#39;rating&#39;:{&#39;value&#39;:100,&#39;weight&#39;:13},&#39;flags&#39;:{},&#39;single&#39;:false,&#39;ttl&#39;:3600,&#39;expireTime&#39;:&#39;20111128171534&#39;}, self.className)},600);" class="wrc11" style="padding-right:16px;width:16px;height:16px">

Patrick Mc(avery Patrick Mc(avery

Re: Development Board Tutorial

> www.spellingbeewinnars.org/Development_Boards/Development_Boards.avi.tar.gz

I goofed up the link, it should be:
http://www.spellingbeewinnars.org/Development_Boards.avi.tar.gz

James also ran my videos though a program called handbrake to reduce
their size and posted them here:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/169337/Development_Boards.mp4
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/169337/intro.mp4

I want to post really high quality videos but perhaps I will redo my shell script so that mencoder creates two videos, one high quality one and one very low quality/fast downloading one for previews.

I have to work until I sleep tonight and tomorrow but Thursday night I will do another tutorial. Once I have about a hour of videos ready I will edit them and chop them up into smaller pieces and post them on youtube.

Thanks everyone, it's great to see people interested in this-Patrick