Christmas Notes

Tony-12 Tony-12

Christmas Notes

The not-so-good: unfortunately I've been too busy with work, family, and motion control to anything with eLua.

The good: I'm getting a TI/Luminary EKx-LM3S8962 dev kit for Christmas -- and it's nice to see it's easy to install eLua on it.  I've also downloaded CCS (Code Composer Studio) 4.1 beta, which seems to have pretty good Stellaris support.

Also, I somehow missed it, but Microchip now has a number of PIC32 chips which should work well with eLua: six models have 64K SRAM and four models have 128K SRAM.  The top of the line PIC32MX795F512x is available in 64 pin and 100 pins, and includes 128K SRAM, 512K flash, 10/100MAC (no PHY, but MAC address is included), full speed USB OTG, 2 CAN ports, UART, SPI, I2C, ADC, and PWM.  Digikey pricing starts at a bit over $7 in 100's.  If you're looking for max memory in a small package, this is as good as it gets right now (especially if you use the QFN-64 package); I'm pretty sure all the other 96K & 128K SRAM MCUs are in 100 pin or larger packages.

The Microchip device table is at http://www.microchip.com/stellent/idcplg?IdcService=SS_GET_PAGE&nodeId=2870

And, no, I'm not volunteering to do a port; I'm still more interested in the LM3S9B95 and AT32UC3A3256.

Finally, a big thanks to Bogdan & Dado for their work -- I have no idea how they find the time to do so much.

--Tony

Re: Christmas Notes

Hello List,
   Thank you for the kind words Tony.
   LM3Ss (and now the 9Bs too) are indeed one of our best platforms today and I'll manage to make available something special for your Christmas toy :)
   We would also like to offer a v0.7 gift for Christmas (just like Roberto did once for Lua, why not publish v0.7 in the Xmas eve ? :)  But even with James Snyder helping a looooot with the code lately, we're not sure we'll be able yet :( as we've been really short on time lately :(. It will not be too much further though, as v0.8 is already on it's way !
   For those who can't wait, branch pre0.7 has already some new features on the news, history version and status pages (go to the doc dir and do a: lua buildall.lua then open any html file under the created folder dist)
   We have three new ports/platforms in v0.7 and at least two users are working in new ports too. We don't have any plans for PIC32s for now but one can get help on the doc and here in the list for a try.
   I've just got 5 mbed NXP LPC1768 here in NYC (Tks James ! and he has one too) and I can't wait to get to Rio and play with them (next week). It looks like a neat little and cheap Stamp for eLua for now.
   We have good plans for eLua in 2010++ and, thanks to you all, we're sure we'll have a lot of fun ahead.