CAN support for LM3S

Owen Woollaston Owen Woollaston

CAN support for LM3S

Hi James

Any idea when you'll have CAN support in for the LM3S?  Or can you
send me your code and I'll have a go?  You can get my email from the
link below.

http://www.leansystems.co.nz/contact

Cheers, Owen

Re: CAN support for LM3S

I apologize for the delay (finding transceivers+thanksgiving+finishing
teaching a class), I'm planning to check in a working version today.
I'll drop a line on the list here when that's been checked in and is
at least working on my 9B92 hardware.  I won't be able to test on
8962, but I expect the only thing I have to add for that is a slightly
different pin configuration.

I will appreciate any feedback you're able to provide.  The CAN
interface does have some possibilities for improvement and I'll be
curious what your opinions are.

Best.

-jsnyder

On Wed, Dec 1, 2010 at 4:22 AM, Owen Woollaston <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi James
>
> Any idea when you'll have CAN support in for the LM3S?  Or can you
> send me your code and I'll have a go?  You can get my email from the
> link below.
>
> http://www.leansystems.co.nz/contact
>
> Cheers, Owen

PGP: http://fanplastic.org/key.txt
Phone: (847) 448-0386

Re: CAN support for LM3S

I've committed some extremely basic CAN support which should get
compiled in when built for LM3S 9B92 or 8962.  At the moment it
assumes that PD0 & PD1 are the pins being used for TX & RX, which I
believe should be correct for the 8962 eval board.  I would consider
this a preliminary implementation which could bear some improvement.

Caveats:
- right now there isn't buffering for more than one incoming message,
so you will get whatever the last received message was.
- can.recv is blocking until a message comes in, I'll likely add an
option for this to be configurable at the time recv is called
- filtering of objects isn't currently configurable, but is probably
one of the next features I would add to the module

All of which is to say, this will likely work fine for buses without a
huge amount of traffic, but you might start losing messages on high
traffic ones.  When I added this module I was testing it with a setup
where the MCU was sending out a block of messages at 100 Hz, and
status messages were sent back from the devices under control fairly
infrequently.   If you have particular suggestions about
implementation for the contexts in which you're using CAN, I'd be
happy to try and incorporate them.

Best.

-jsnyder