Building eLua (Windows)

Stefan Brantschen-3 Stefan Brantschen-3

Building eLua (Windows)

I don't understand why I need to install Lua on Windows in order to build eLua -- do I really, and why?

Cheers
-- Stefan

Re: Building eLua (Windows)

Hello,

On Sat, Jun 12, 2010 at 08:06, Stefan Brantschen <[hidden email]> wrote:
I don't understand why I need to install Lua on Windows in order to build eLua -- do I really, and why?

   I don't think we depend on Lua for Windows to build eLua under Windows. Bogdan was the one who did it and he'll be back to the front next week.
   At least for ARM targets (not AVR32), I'm pretty sure CodeSourcery does everything and I don't see where it would depend on any Lua for Windows' modules.
   Bogdan's mention on the tutorial might only be a suggestion for you to have more tools and (nice) libs installed at once under Linux. Lua for Windows is a very nice project until you learn to tame LuaRocks.
   This reminds me that it is time to put someone here to build eLua under Windows, so we can at least help with the basic questions ! Thanks ! :)

Cheers
-- Stefan

Cheers

Bittencourt Bittencourt

Re: Building eLua (Windows)

Salutations!

I think Stefan was talking about lua ON windows, not Lua FOR windows (the "distro").
Well, I don't think a "formal" install is required, but you will need all libraries and the source code in order build it (eLua build process include the Lua build).

Maybe some environment variables are assumed by the script that you are using to build, but still, this is not an "installation"...

=)
--Pedro Bittencourt

On Sun, Jun 13, 2010 at 01:46, Pedro Bittencourt <[hidden email]> wrote:
Salutations!

I think Stefan was talking about lua ON windows, not Lua FOR windows (the "distro").

You may be right. I've just thought he was talking about Lua for Windows because of Bogdan's notes on his tutorial on Building eLua on Windows, that says:
lua: a very good and versatile Lua distribution for Windows is "Lua for Windows", it can be downloaded from here. Besides Lua itself, it includes a lot of very useful Lua modules, so I highly recommend it. Version 5.1.4.30 of Lua for Windows will be used in this tutorial.

Well, I don't think a "formal" install is required, but you will need all libraries and the source code in order build it (eLua build process include the Lua build).

Right but all the Lua (source) code needed for building eLua is included our distros.

Maybe some environment variables are assumed by the script that you are using to build, but still, this is not an "installation"...

I don't know of any env vars used during the eLua build that is not managed by the scons script (our make tool). Also, to build the toolchains (and in the case of CodeSourcery it is basically a simple install on Windows), only a couple of env vars are used and none of them depend on Lua neither.

=)
--Pedro Bittencourt

Thanks !

[...]

Hi guys

On 13 Jun 2010, at 07:12, Dado Sutter wrote:

>> Well, I don't think a "formal" install is required, but you will need all libraries and the source code in order build it (eLua build process include the Lua build).
>
> Right but all the Lua (source) code needed for building eLua is included our distros.
>
>> Maybe some environment variables are assumed by the script that you are using to build, but still, this is not an "installation"...
>
> I don't know of any env vars used during the eLua build that is not managed by the scons script (our make tool). Also, to build the toolchains (and in the case of CodeSourcery it is basically a simple install on Windows), only a couple of env vars are used and none of them depend on Lua neither.

The reason for my question was that based on the webpage <http://www.eluaproject.net/en_building_win.html> you think that Lua is part of the toolchain for building eLua. As I develop on Mac OS X, I need the Windows side only for building and flashing, so I want(ed) to avoid to install a rather, say, comprehensive environment such as Lua for Windows. I think the mention of Lua as part of the /building/ toolchain should be removed, are amended with a corresponding remark.

For the other parts, though, I followed the instructions and installed CodeSourcery Lite Edition, Python, and scons. All environment vars were set by the installations. I downloaded the eLua 0.7 source, checked the configuration file against <http://www.eluaproject.net/en_building.html#configuring> (as far as I understand it at this point :-)), and gave it a try -- done, binary built! Cool. I did get some warnings, though, including ones complaining about non-installed Microsoft Visual Studio.

Anyway, I flashed it to the EK-LM3S6965, and it works... OK, didn't test all the modules yet, but hey, it's a start! :-)

Thanks for your support.

Cheers
-- Stefan

Re: Building eLua (Windows)

Hello,

On Sun, Jun 13, 2010 at 08:18, Stefan Brantschen <[hidden email]> wrote:
The reason for my question was that based on the webpage <http://www.eluaproject.net/en_building_win.html> you think that Lua is part of the toolchain for building eLua. As I develop on Mac OS X, I need the Windows side only for building and flashing, so I want(ed) to avoid to install a rather, say, comprehensive environment such as Lua for Windows. I think the mention of Lua as part of the /building/ toolchain should be removed, are amended with a corresponding remark.

   We are slowly migrating our tutorials, notes and articles to the eLua User Labs Wiki. The main site will keep more project specific content like history, core architecture, Reference Manual, ..., things like that.
   We count on you all to refine and update the wiki, as well as to create your own tutorials, so we can concentrate on the mainstream development. This can actually be done already, either by creating new pages to copy the site's tutorials content or to link to external pages as James did for the Building an ARM EABI Toolchain Tutorial. I'll see if I find sometime to start migrating the others.

For the other parts, though, I followed the instructions and installed CodeSourcery Lite Edition, Python, and scons. All environment vars were set by the installations. I downloaded the eLua 0.7 source, checked the configuration file against <http://www.eluaproject.net/en_building.html#configuring> (as far as I understand it at this point :-)), and gave it a try -- done, binary built! Cool.

Cool ! :)
Trunk should build smoothly as well.

I did get some warnings, though, including ones complaining about non-installed Microsoft Visual Studio.

No worries. It is still ugly but works just fine :)

Anyway, I flashed it to the EK-LM3S6965, and it works... OK, didn't test all the modules yet, but hey, it's a start! :-)

Thanks for the feedback !
Next step is to shoot some videos with your projects for the wiki ! :) :)

Thanks for your support.

Cheers
-- Stefan

Cheers

Re: Building eLua (Windows)

On Sun, Jun 13, 2010 at 10:50, Dado Sutter <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'll see if I find sometime to start migrating the others. .................

Done

http://wiki.eluaproject.net/BuildingInWindows

(You can find it on the Tutorials section too)

Cheers

On 13 Jun 2010, at 15:50, Dado Sutter wrote:

>> For the other parts, though, I followed the instructions and installed CodeSourcery Lite Edition, Python, and scons. All environment vars were set by the installations. I downloaded the eLua 0.7 source, checked the configuration file against <http://www.eluaproject.net/en_building.html#configuring> (as far as I understand it at this point :-)), and gave it a try -- done, binary built! Cool.
>
> Cool ! :)
> Trunk should build smoothly as well.

Actually, the image for the LM3S6965 compiled from today's trunk is too big to flash to the board.

>  I did get some warnings, though, including ones complaining about non-installed Microsoft Visual Studio.
>
> No worries. It is still ugly but works just fine :)

I don't the these warnings anymore, I guess since I installed MinGW to create the Lua cross compiler (which worked to, btw).

Cheers
-- Stefan

Re: Building eLua (Windows)

On Sun, Jun 13, 2010 at 15:53, Stefan Brantschen <[hidden email]> wrote:

Actually, the image for the LM3S6965 compiled from today's trunk is too big to flash to the board.

Just remove some examples files from the ROMFS and you'll be fine.
It will be hard to chose which game you'll miss however :) You can also try to build with romfs=compile.

I don't the these warnings anymore, I guess since I installed MinGW to create the Lua cross compiler (which worked to, btw).

Nice to hear that. Tks for the report.

Cheers
-- Stefan

Cheers

Re: Building eLua (Windows)

On Sun, Jun 13, 2010 at 2:05 PM, Dado Sutter <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 13, 2010 at 15:53, Stefan Brantschen <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>

>> Actually, the image for the LM3S6965 compiled from today's trunk is too
>> big to flash to the board.

This actually depends on what toolchain one builds with.  The
toolchain described on the eLua site (gcc built from scratch) and the
one I have a Makefile (http://github.com/jsnyder/arm-eabi-toolchain)
for to specially build CodeSourcery's chain will generate binaries
that should fit.  I think this difference mainly has to do with some
options we use to compile our C library that prefer code size over
speed.

> Just remove some examples files from the ROMFS and you'll be fine.
> It will be hard to chose which game you'll miss however :) You can also try
> to build with romfs=compile.

A related build option, romfs=compress does require a working Lua
interpreter installed on one's machine.  I don't believe Lua is
required to get a fairly generic build going.  romfs=compile uses a
lua compiler binary that we generate out of the eLua sources.  I
suppose we could internalize building a full Lua binary to handle
running the compress script as well.

Also, I, myself, use OS X as a development platform, and usually do
everything (except maybe flashing, sometimes) from the OS X side of
things.  It's even possible to flash LM3S boards using OpenOCD.  There
are some instructions for that here:
http://wiki.eluaproject.net/TILM3S  (I haven't tried what specifically
described there, but I do have a working configuration of my own).

That said, if you've got something working now and you're relatively
happy with it, stick with that.  If you want to switch to an OS X-only
environment you can always do it with smaller steps rather than
sinking lots of time at once into getting it all working.

PGP: http://fanplastic.org/key.txt
Phone: (847) 448-0386

Re: Building eLua (Windows)

Hi,

James is right. You don't need Lua to build "regular" eLua, but you need it for stuff like romfs=compile, or romfs=compress, or to build the documentation (although this is a feature mostly for developers).