Atmel Studio 6

Mike King Mike King

Atmel Studio 6

Atmel's latest IDE now has ARM support.  Can this be an alternative to
CodeSourcery Lite Edition for building eLua?

Re: Atmel Studio 6

On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 7:05 AM, Mike King <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Atmel's latest IDE now has ARM support.  Can this be an alternative to
> CodeSourcery Lite Edition for building eLua?

If their toolchain is GCC based (and it most likely is), we can
probably use it to build eLua.

Tony-12 Tony-12

Re: Atmel Studio 6

On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 7:50 AM, Bogdan Marinescu <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 7:05 AM, Mike King <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Atmel's latest IDE now has ARM support.  Can this be an alternative to
> CodeSourcery Lite Edition for building eLua?

If their toolchain is GCC based (and it most likely is), we can
probably use it to build eLua.

Yes, it is gcc based by default; Atmel supports optional use of third party compilers.  It's also Windows-only.
--Tony

Re: Atmel Studio 6

On Fri, Mar 2, 2012 at 11:13 AM, Tony <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 7:50 AM, Bogdan Marinescu
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 7:05 AM, Mike King <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Atmel's latest IDE now has ARM support.  Can this be an alternative to
>> > CodeSourcery Lite Edition for building eLua?
>>
>> If their toolchain is GCC based (and it most likely is), we can
>> probably use it to build eLua.
>>
> Yes, it is gcc based by default; Atmel supports optional use of third party
> compilers.  It's also Windows-only.

From the page describing it, it looks like it's only for their
Cortex-M parts and AVR, not earlier ARM architectures.  I haven't
installed it as of yet, so I'm not sure what exact configuration they
did of the compiler or what version it is.

Given the footprint of the installer (528 MB), unless there's
something rather compelling in the rest of the bundle, I think I'd
prefer sticking with CodeSourcery/Mentor or a plain GCC build.  That
said, it's good to see them unifying support for their AVR & ARM
parts.

> --Tony
>

>> Best,
>> Bogdan