Anyone working on (or have) an eLua port for the CC3200 from TI?

Patrick Patrick

Anyone working on (or have) an eLua port for the CC3200 from TI?

TI released some new chips a few months ago that have a Cortex M4 processor with in package wifi and a "hardware" tcp/ip stack called the CC3200. I've been playing with them for a while and they seem like pretty sweet hardware.

It looks like there was some discussion about the connected launchpad (basically this, but Ethernet) but I haven't seen any discussion about the 3200 yet. Has anyone played with getting it running eLua yet?

If not, how much work is it to port eLua to a new platform? I've played around inside eLua a bit when our company was working on porting it to a little cell modem thing, but most of the work was done by others that aren't actually here anymore. I don't know if I'm actually going to to have time to do it myself, but I might poke at it if it would be relatively straightforward.
franck franck

Re: Anyone working on (or have) an eLua port for the CC3200 from TI?

Yes It's a great idea, have you started on it. Do you need help ?

Patrick Patrick

Re: Anyone working on (or have) an eLua port for the CC3200 from TI?

I haven't actually started on it yet, but I'll be working on something
this weekend. I say "something" because I'm actually planning to start
playing with the broadcom WICED stuff instead, mostly because it looks
like that is exactly what the new Spark Photon is using. The photon
will be cheaper, probably more popular, and it's based on the STM32F2
micro which already has an eLua port, so in theory it would just need
a driver for the wifi instead of a full port. However, if you'd be
interested in helping with a port to the 3200 I'd be more than willing
to do that one first with you.

Let me know what you think.

--Patrick
drkrab drkrab

Re: Anyone working on (or have) an eLua port for the CC3200 from TI?

Any update on this, I may also be able to contribute.
Patrick Patrick

Re: Anyone working on (or have) an eLua port for the CC3200 from TI?

Basically I haven't done anything yet. I ran into a few issues that
meant I was less enthusiastic about putting the work into it.

First, the Broadcom libraries aren't open source, so if I did do that
port I wouldn't actually be able to distribute it. Apparently, Spark
has some deal with Broadcom that will let them release the libraries
as open source, but I don't have that much faith in Broadcom so I'll
come back to it when that actually happens.

I also have found a lot of problems with the CC3200 and found that TI
isn't all that forthcoming about fixing them. I reported a bug to do
with I2C where interrupts would stop firing telling me that the I2C
buffer was empty after a write and would cause their I2C library to
block forever.

At this point I'm basically waiting until something changes. If anyone
knows of a wifi + mcu module that is small, cheap, reliable, and has
an open source stack let me know and I'll port eLua to it (probably).

Patrick Barrett  //  E X O S I T E  //  Minneapolis, MN  //  www.exosite.com
vudangngoc vudangngoc

Re: Anyone working on (or have) an eLua port for the CC3200 from TI?

CC3200 use ARM Cortex-M4, and eLua also supported Cortex-M3. Is it possible to use the toolchain cortexm? If I create new port from Cortex-M3 boad, is it more easy?
Anfred Anfred

Re: Anyone working on (or have) an eLua port for the CC3200 from TI?

I know of a board called the digistump OAK.  It has 64kb sram, wifi, and 80mhz.  For $10 it's not as nice as the ti board, but only 1/3 the price!