A shield for stm32f4disco - sram

Pito Pito

A shield for stm32f4disco - sram

Bogdan, I'm thinking on a devel of a small shield for stm32f4disco
board, as the first step with a sram on it. I've found a 2Mx16 55ns
sram in my junk box, but it seems "slow" to me for that mcu. What is
your experience as you run 1Mb sram in your stm32f103 eLuaBrain
system? P.

Re: A shield for stm32f4disco - sram

Hi,

On Thu, Dec 15, 2011 at 9:39 PM, pito <[hidden email]> wrote:
Bogdan, I'm thinking on a devel of a small shield for stm32f4disco
board, as the first step with a sram on it. I've found a 2Mx16 55ns
sram in my junk box, but it seems "slow" to me for that mcu. What is
your experience as you run 1Mb sram in your stm32f103 eLuaBrain
system? P.

First of all: excellent idea. Second: 55ns might be indeed a tad too slow. In general, the experience with external SRAM is that it slows Lua quite a bit. This is unfortunate, but both very logical (as every single value in Lua (be it number, string, table or anything else) is allocated on the heap) and necessary. So, as as rule of thumb, the faster the SRAM, the better (but you already knew that :) ). The SRAM on the STM3210E-EVAL has a 10ns access time and it works quite well. I never looked at the SRAM initialization code, thus I don't know how the external memory controller is set; in particular, I don't know what timings are set for the external SRAM access. On the other hand, at 55ns the maximum theoretical speed is about 18MHz, which seems quite low. If I'd to this (and did I say this is an excellent idea already?) I'd try to at least design the whole thing for a faster memory. If you can find a 10ns memory in the same package as your 55ns memory, chances are you won't even need to change your PCB, so everybody wins :)
If you do this and you have some space left on your shield, please let me know, maybe we can fit the video generator there ...

Pito Pito

Re: A shield for stm32f4disco - sram

..this is about the availability and the price of the SRAMS. BGA
packages are nogo for DIY, SDRAMS are nogo for stm32f4, and PSRAMS
are slow (~70ns) and BGA.
The only 10ns TSOP candidates I see are:
IS61WV102416BLL-10TLI (10ns 1Mx16)
IS61WV20488BLL-10TLI (10ns, 2Mx8)
The big Q is where to get them cheap?? P.

> > Bogdan, I'm thinking on a devel of a small
> > shield for stm32f4disco
> > > board, as the first step with a sram on it. I've
> > found a 2Mx16 55ns
> > > sram in my junk box, but it seems "slow" to me
> > for that mcu. What is
> > > your experience as you run 1Mb sram in your
> > stm32f103 eLuaBrain
> > > system? P.
> >

> First of all: excellent idea. Second: 55ns might
> be indeed a tad too slow.
> In general, the experience with external SRAM is
> that it slows Lua quite a
> bit. This is unfortunate, but both very logical
> (as every single value in
> Lua (be it number, string, table or anything else)
> is allocated on the
> heap) and necessary. So, as as rule of thumb, the
> faster the SRAM, the
> better (but you already knew that :) ). The SRAM
> on the STM3210E-EVAL has a
> 10ns access time and it works quite well. I never
> looked at the SRAM
> initialization code, thus I don't know how the
> external memory controller
> is set; in particular, I don't know what timings
> are set for the external
> SRAM access. On the other hand, at 55ns the
> maximum theoretical speed is
> about 18MHz, which seems quite low. If I'd to this
> (and did I say this is
> an excellent idea already?) I'd try to at least
> design the whole thing for
> a faster memory. If you can find a 10ns memory in
> the same package as your
> 55ns memory, chances are you won't even need to
> change your PCB, so
> everybody wins :)
> If you do this and you have some space left on
> your shield, please let me
> know, maybe we can fit the video generator there
>
> Best,
> Bogdan

Nakupujte vánoční dárky levněji. Více o vánoční akci Economia
najdete na http://web.volny.cz/data/click.php?id=1313

Tony-12 Tony-12

2011/12/16 pito <[hidden email]>
..this is about the availability and the price of the SRAMS. BGA
packages are nogo for DIY, SDRAMS are nogo for stm32f4, and PSRAMS
are slow (~70ns) and BGA.
The only 10ns TSOP candidates I see are:
IS61WV102416BLL-10TLI (10ns 1Mx16)
IS61WV20488BLL-10TLI (10ns, 2Mx8)
The big Q is where to get them cheap?? P.

Nowhere....they're ~24USD on Digikey, and smaller sizes cost about the same per bit (4Mb is ~$6, 8Mb is ~$18).  I did a Digikey search, and nobody else (IDT, Cypress, etc) looks significantly cheaper.  If you need speed but want to spend less, look at using a smaller size, although ISSI's smaller SRAMs are in different packages (e.g. 44-TSOP instead of 48-TSOP).  (Side note: huge internal SRAM is coming at a hopefully affordable price: Freescale's next generation Kinetis ARM MCU's will have 512K SRAM).

--Tony

> > Bogdan, I'm thinking on a devel of a small
> > shield for stm32f4disco
> > > board, as the first step with a sram on it. I've
> > found a 2Mx16 55ns
> > > sram in my junk box, but it seems "slow" to me
> > for that mcu. What is
> > > your experience as you run 1Mb sram in your
> > stm32f103 eLuaBrain
> > > system? P.
> >

> First of all: excellent idea. Second: 55ns might
> be indeed a tad too slow.
> In general, the experience with external SRAM is
> that it slows Lua quite a
> bit. This is unfortunate, but both very logical
> (as every single value in
> Lua (be it number, string, table or anything else)
> is allocated on the
> heap) and necessary. So, as as rule of thumb, the
> faster the SRAM, the
> better (but you already knew that :) ). The SRAM
> on the STM3210E-EVAL has a
> 10ns access time and it works quite well. I never
> looked at the SRAM
> initialization code, thus I don't know how the
> external memory controller
> is set; in particular, I don't know what timings
> are set for the external
> SRAM access. On the other hand, at 55ns the
> maximum theoretical speed is
> about 18MHz, which seems quite low. If I'd to this
> (and did I say this is
> an excellent idea already?) I'd try to at least
> design the whole thing for
> a faster memory. If you can find a 10ns memory in
> the same package as your
> 55ns memory, chances are you won't even need to
> change your PCB, so
> everybody wins :)
> If you do this and you have some space left on
> your shield, please let me
> know, maybe we can fit the video generator there
>
> Best,
> Bogdan

Nakupujte vánoční dárky levněji. Více o vánoční akci Economia
najdete na http://web.volny.cz/data/click.php?id=1313

Pito Pito

Re: A shield for stm32f4disco - sram

..Do we even need such fast srams? Not sure the interfaces allow a
10ns "access/rd/wr time". Did not analyse yet in detail, but there
is no such "zero wait state" mode. So the speedup between 10ns and
55ns might not be 5.5 but 1.6. I've got a CY62177EV30 (2Mx16, tsop-I
48pin 55ns) but I am not too hurry into a pcb design until it is
clear whether it make sense to invest time or we rather wait for a
2MByte internal sram :). p.

> > ..this is about the availability and the price
> > of the SRAMS. BGA
> > > packages are nogo for DIY, SDRAMS are nogo for
> > stm32f4, and PSRAMS
> > > are slow (~70ns) and BGA.
> > The only 10ns TSOP candidates I see are:
> > IS61WV102416BLL-10TLI (10ns 1Mx16)
> > IS61WV20488BLL-10TLI (10ns, 2Mx8)
> > The big Q is where to get them cheap?? P.
> >
> > Nowhere....they're ~24USD on Digikey, and
> > smaller sizes cost about the
> > same per bit (4Mb is ~$6, 8Mb is ~$18).  I did a
> Digikey search, and nobody
> else (IDT, Cypress, etc) looks significantly
> cheaper.  If you need speed
> but want to spend less, look at using a smaller
> size, although ISSI's
> smaller SRAMs are in different packages (e.g.
> 44-TSOP instead of 48-TSOP).
> (Side note: huge internal SRAM is coming at a
> hopefully affordable price:
> Freescale's next generation Kinetis ARM MCU's will
> have 512K SRAM).
>
> --Tony

Nuccio Raciti Nuccio Raciti

who is interested in increasing the flexibility of the serial module?

Hi All,

potentially any eLua boards can have two or more UART,
for example Mizar will have two physical UART plus one coming from the
USB (CDC UART),
so I think could be useful choice dynamically which UART will be used by
the Console, by the TERM and so on....

So my proposal is to change dynamically (via eLua commands) the assignment.

What do you think?

Cheers,
Nuccio

2011/12/16 Tony <[hidden email]>
2011/12/16 pito <[hidden email]>
..this is about the availability and the price of the SRAMS. BGA
packages are nogo for DIY, SDRAMS are nogo for stm32f4, and PSRAMS
are slow (~70ns) and BGA.
The only 10ns TSOP candidates I see are:
IS61WV102416BLL-10TLI (10ns 1Mx16)
IS61WV20488BLL-10TLI (10ns, 2Mx8)
The big Q is where to get them cheap?? P.

Nowhere....they're ~24USD on Digikey, and smaller sizes cost about the same per bit (4Mb is ~$6, 8Mb is ~$18).  I did a Digikey search, and nobody else (IDT, Cypress, etc) looks significantly cheaper.  If you need speed but want to spend less, look at using a smaller size, although ISSI's smaller SRAMs are in different packages (e.g. 44-TSOP instead of 48-TSOP).  (Side note: huge internal SRAM is coming at a hopefully affordable price: Freescale's next generation Kinetis ARM MCU's will have 512K SRAM).

This is true, but I'd be a bit cautious. Sure, the internal memory is getting larger and larger, but there are still some constraints that must be respected when designing the chip. For example, the latest M4 cores from NXP can have up to 264k of RAM on-chip; however, the parts that have 264k of RAM don't have any Flash at all. It's likely that something similar will happen with Freescale's Kinetis and with similar parts from other manufacturers. Then again, I know very little about how chips are actually fabricated, so these restrictions might disappear in the near future.

--Tony

> > Bogdan, I'm thinking on a devel of a small
> > shield for stm32f4disco
> > > board, as the first step with a sram on it. I've
> > found a 2Mx16 55ns
> > > sram in my junk box, but it seems "slow" to me
> > for that mcu. What is
> > > your experience as you run 1Mb sram in your
> > stm32f103 eLuaBrain
> > > system? P.
> >

> First of all: excellent idea. Second: 55ns might
> be indeed a tad too slow.
> In general, the experience with external SRAM is
> that it slows Lua quite a
> bit. This is unfortunate, but both very logical
> (as every single value in
> Lua (be it number, string, table or anything else)
> is allocated on the
> heap) and necessary. So, as as rule of thumb, the
> faster the SRAM, the
> better (but you already knew that :) ). The SRAM
> on the STM3210E-EVAL has a
> 10ns access time and it works quite well. I never
> looked at the SRAM
> initialization code, thus I don't know how the
> external memory controller
> is set; in particular, I don't know what timings
> are set for the external
> SRAM access. On the other hand, at 55ns the
> maximum theoretical speed is
> about 18MHz, which seems quite low. If I'd to this
> (and did I say this is
> an excellent idea already?) I'd try to at least
> design the whole thing for
> a faster memory. If you can find a 10ns memory in
> the same package as your
> 55ns memory, chances are you won't even need to
> change your PCB, so
> everybody wins :)
> If you do this and you have some space left on
> your shield, please let me
> know, maybe we can fit the video generator there
>
> Best,
> Bogdan

Nakupujte vánoční dárky levněji. Více o vánoční akci Economia
najdete na http://web.volny.cz/data/click.php?id=1313

Re: who is interested in increasing the flexibility of the serial module?

Hi Nuccio,

On Sat, Dec 17, 2011 at 3:28 PM, Nuccio Raciti <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi All,

potentially any eLua boards can have two or more UART,
for example Mizar will have two physical UART plus one coming from the USB (CDC UART),
so I think could be useful choice dynamically which UART will be used by the Console, by the TERM and so on....

So my proposal is to change dynamically (via eLua commands) the assignment.

What do you think?

It can be done, but I don't think I understand the use scenario. For example, let's assume that you want to change the console UART using an eLua command. But, in order to give an eLua command, you probably need to have eLua already up and running on an UART (the one configured at compile time). So what advantage would you have by changing the console UART at runtime when you already have a functional one? On the other hand, if you DON'T have a functional one, you probably won't be able to issue the eLua command(s) to change it. Right? Or I'm missing something?

Pito Pito

Re: A shield for stm32f4disco - sram

> For example,
> the latest M4 cores from
> NXP can have up to 264k of RAM on-chip; however,
> the parts that have 264k
> of RAM don't have any Flash at all.
Few weeks back during a NXP workshop I discussed with the NXP guy
that topic - sram on the chip. He said srams on chip are expensive
as the srams (and we know that) are large structures so they occupy
most of the chip. The chipmakers are not happy with that. I
recommended him to go for 32nm fab instead of 90nm (9x bigger yield
from a single wafer) but the flash is limiting then (it seems the
flash cells cannot be made such small) and, of course, again the Q
was who will buy all that stuff to pay the dev costs. It seems they
do not sell too many devices these days..p.

Il 17/12/2011 17:00, Bogdan Marinescu ha scritto:

> Hi Nuccio,
>
> On Sat, Dec 17, 2011 at 3:28 PM, Nuccio Raciti
>
>     Hi All,
>
>     potentially any eLua boards can have two or more UART,
>     for example Mizar will have two physical UART plus one coming from
>     the USB (CDC UART),
>     so I think could be useful choice dynamically which UART will be
>     used by the Console, by the TERM and so on....
>
>     So my proposal is to change dynamically (via eLua commands) the
>     assignment.
>
>     What do you think?
>

> It can be done, but I don't think I understand the use scenario. For
> example, let's assume that you want to change the console UART using
> an eLua command. But, in order to give an eLua command, you probably
> need to have eLua already up and running on an UART (the one
> configured at compile time). So what advantage would you have by
> changing the console UART at runtime when you already have a
> functional one? On the other hand, if you DON'T have a functional one,
> you probably won't be able to issue the eLua command(s) to change it.
> Right? Or I'm missing something?
>
> Best,
> Bogdan

Hi Bogdan,

suppose you have the console on Uart0 and a VGA module (like eluabrain
or Mizar VGA module) on Uart1, now you could want to send commands via
the console but you could get terminal output on VGA using TERM
functionalities (using the VGA as a sort of "synoptic screen").

Also, I'm near to finish the IDE, inside it I have a console terminal
with ANSI/VT100 capability (a minimal set for now), so the user can run
some eLua programs as Hungman without Hardware.

It will be wonderful, if without build and reprogram the board, he will
able to see/run the same program on the VGA module.

So is more important to be able to change the "TERM"  assignment, but as
we can have more UART also for the console, maybe we can start to think
also for it.

For example if the USB is not connected the Console is on Uart0 (via
first HW serial port), but if the USB-CDC Uart is connected, the
"platform/xxx/platform.c" should have the possibility to change (just
during the boot) the default Console.

I hope I have good exposed my point of view :-/

Ciao,
Nuccio

On Sat, Dec 17, 2011 at 3:28 PM, Nuccio Raciti <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:

[...]

Perfectly, thank you. I understand where you're heading now. Implementing this kind of thing shouldn't be much of an effort. The terminal subsystem already has generic functions for input/output which are assigned at runtime using pointers, so changing them is as easy as reinitializing the terminal code by calling 'term_init' (never tried that, but it should work). The console has an equivalent mechanism (src/newlib/getstd.c); if you change the pointers to read/write functions you get yourself a new console (you probably also need to empty the stdio buffers before changing the console). I can help with specific implementation details if you need this.

Ciao,

Nuccio

Il 17/12/2011 17:51, Bogdan Marinescu ha scritto:

> [...]
>     the "platform/xxx/platform.c" should have the possibility to
>     change (just  during the boot) the default Console.
>
>     I hope I have good exposed my point of view :-/
>

> Perfectly, thank you. I understand where you're heading now.
> Implementing this kind of thing shouldn't be much of an effort. The
> terminal subsystem already has generic functions for input/output
> which are assigned at runtime using pointers, so changing them is as
> easy as reinitializing the terminal code by calling 'term_init' (never
> tried that, but it should work). The console has an equivalent
> mechanism (src/newlib/getstd.c); if you change the pointers to
> read/write functions you get yourself a new console (you probably also
> need to empty the stdio buffers before changing the console). I can
> help with specific implementation details if you need this.

Yes, isn't hard to implement, maybe just matter to change a constant
"CON_UART_ID" with a more dynamic thing....but I have seen that  some
changes are in common code, so we needs a common agreement...

Best,
Nuccio

>     Ciao,
>
>     Nuccio

Tim Michals Tim Michals

Re: A shield for stm32f4disco - sram

The maple native has external sram http://leaflabs.com/devices/ there was some discussions about SRAM speed in the forum.

Tony-12 Tony-12

2011/12/17 Bogdan Marinescu <[hidden email]>

2011/12/16 Tony <[hidden email]>
2011/12/16 pito <[hidden email]>
[...]

Freescale is claiming 1M->4M flash on chip.  However, these won't be shipping for a long time (sometime next year); Freescale doesn't even have a part number list up yet so at this point I consider it all marketing-talk, not reality. I'm wondering what the price will be; Freescale has actually had PowerPC MCU's with lots of RAM and flash for years, but they are hard to get and very expensive (>$50).

Renesas is another company with a roadmap (for the Rx CPUs) with lots of SRAM and flash, but their existing chips are hard to get and expensive.

Getting back to off-chip memory, does anyone know what the impact of SDRAM is on eLua performance?  My guess is that even 55nSec SRAM would have better performance, but the per bit cost of SDRAM is enticing.

--Tony

--Tony

Pito Pito

Re: A shield for stm32f4disco - sram

> Getting back to off-chip memory, does anyone know
> what the impact of SDRAM
> is on eLua performance?  My guess is that even
> 55nSec SRAM would have
> better performance, but the per bit cost of SDRAM
> is enticing.
If talking stm32f4 the SDRAM is not applicable unfortunately. The
only alternative to SRAMs are PSRAMs when talking stm32f4. But all
are BGA and ~55-70ns today. PSRAMs are SDRAMs with built-in SRAM
interface and refresh.
P.

2011/12/16 Tony <[hidden email]>
2011/12/16 pito <[hidden email]>
[...]

I think (and hope)
the ARM chips will be priced a bit less aggresively, given the competition.

Renesas is another company with a roadmap (for the Rx CPUs) with lots of SRAM and flash, but their existing chips are hard to get and expensive.

Yes. Also, many of their chips have expensive proprietary toolchains (I didn't check GCC's list of targets lately though, things might've got better in this area).

Getting back to off-chip memory, does anyone know what the impact of SDRAM is on eLua performance?  My guess is that even 55nSec SRAM would have better performance, but the per bit cost of SDRAM is enticing.

SDRAMs are a no-go for STM32 in particular. Other than that, we have a board built around a LPC2468 and generous ammount of SDRAM, it works quite well. Truth be told, until now I focused 85% on making eLua smaller and only 15% worrying about its performance, so I didn't run any actual tests, it was just a "hey, this feels quite snappy" feeling.

--Tony

--Tony

> > Bogdan, I'm thinking on a devel of a small
> > shield for stm32f4disco
> > > board, as the first step with a sram on it. I've
> > found a 2Mx16 55ns
> > > sram in my junk box, but it seems "slow" to me
> > for that mcu. What is
> > > your experience as you run 1Mb sram in your
> > stm32f103 eLuaBrain
> > > system? P.
> >

> First of all: excellent idea. Second: 55ns might
> be indeed a tad too slow.
> In general, the experience with external SRAM is
> that it slows Lua quite a
> bit. This is unfortunate, but both very logical
> (as every single value in
> Lua (be it number, string, table or anything else)
> is allocated on the
> heap) and necessary. So, as as rule of thumb, the
> faster the SRAM, the
> better (but you already knew that :) ). The SRAM
> on the STM3210E-EVAL has a
> 10ns access time and it works quite well. I never
> looked at the SRAM
> initialization code, thus I don't know how the
> external memory controller
> is set; in particular, I don't know what timings
> are set for the external
> SRAM access. On the other hand, at 55ns the
> maximum theoretical speed is
> about 18MHz, which seems quite low. If I'd to this
> (and did I say this is
> an excellent idea already?) I'd try to at least
> design the whole thing for
> a faster memory. If you can find a 10ns memory in
> the same package as your
> 55ns memory, chances are you won't even need to
> change your PCB, so
> everybody wins :)
> If you do this and you have some space left on
> your shield, please let me
> know, maybe we can fit the video generator there
>
> Best,
> Bogdan

Nakupujte vánoční dárky levněji. Více o vánoční akci Economia
najdete na http://web.volny.cz/data/click.php?id=1313

Re: A shield for stm32f4disco - sram

Though SDRAM isn't an option, there was some discussion around using
that type of RAM with AVR32 with eLua that might be relevant:
http://groups.google.com/group/mizar32/browse_thread/thread/72f0ef650733f8f2?pli=1

I can't recall the timing configurations or wait states used with the
SDRAM on that platform. I'm not completely sure what the timings and
wait state configurations might be like based on a quick perusal of
the code.  Martin can probably speak to that a bit better.

All in all, performance degradation could probably be pretty easily
estimated based on running SRAM below the maximum spec and then
extrapolating.  You might want to check on whether prefetch and
cacheing might be used for external SRAM or PSRAM as it is for
internal types.

As for pricing differences, might one just chalk that up to production
volume differences and perhaps process differences?  I suspect that if
SRAM were about the same price as DRAM we would be using that in our
PCs rather than SRAM since it tends to be faster and lower power
consumption since it doesn't need to be refreshed periodically. I'm
curious where this discussion leads though, as I wouldn't mind having
a fairly painless way to add memory for an STM32F4.

On Sat, Dec 17, 2011 at 11:00 AM, Nuccio Raciti <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>> this kind of thing shouldn't be much of an effort. The terminal subsystem
>> already has generic functions for input/output which are assigned at runtime
>> using pointers, so changing them is as easy as reinitializing the terminal
>> code by calling 'term_init' (never tried that, but it should work). The
>> console has an equivalent mechanism (src/newlib/getstd.c); if you change the
>> pointers to read/write functions you get yourself a new console (you
>> probably also need to empty the stdio buffers before changing the console).
>> I can help with specific implementation details if you need this.
>>
>> Best,
>> Bogdan
>>
> Yes, isn't hard to implement, maybe just matter to change a constant
> "CON_UART_ID" with a more dynamic thing....but I have seen that  some
> changes are in common code, so we needs a common agreement...

I haven't tried this either, but it might be nice to have a few other
things like this be configurable after boot time or be insertable into
a configuration file that could live on a card or in flash and be
loaded at boot time.

We could significantly reduce the space of possible useful build
configurations for platforms where flash space isn't a major problem
by including all the needed components and making the options for
these configurable at boot like networking (DHCP vs Static), Console
type and endpoint (TCP vs UART vs virtual UART CDC).  I don't think we
would have to go crazy with it, but in addition to some of the usage
described in this thread, there are definitely times where I've found
myself making an array of builds to support some newer platforms like
Soldercore which can have an ethernet or CDC console and it might be
nice to make some of these options not dependent on the use of a full
toolchain.

I'd be willing to participate in some coding and discussion around
making (if nothing else) adjustable console settings.

-jsnyder